If we go 0-5 in October, should the A.D. and coaching staff be flushed so we can get a jump on any good coaches that become available in Nov. & Dec.?

True, it wasn't as good as the job Bill Snyder did/is doing at Kansas State, or Gary Patterson at TCU. Bill Snyder is one of the best coaches in the history of the game, and there's no way Patterson was leaving TCU last year for a reclamation project.

I think we got about as good a candidate as we could have, though. Have to restore the professionalism that comes with the position. Have to have a coach that reps and promotes the NU name, rather than tarnishes it or sells it as a place nobody would want to be.

Doesn't mean it will work out on the field, but if we were to throw out (plausible) alternatives to the Riley hire they all would have fallen within the same framework: class guys who are respected (mostly veteran) coaches. Pick one and give him a shot. If he doesn't succeed, pick another one.

• Fire 2

You guys don't know what Oregon State was before he got there.

Of course we do.....it's been posted on here a brazilian times to justify Eichorst's head scratching hire.

My idea of overachieving greatly would be Gary Patterson. Take a look at TCU football history. If you dare.

Sweet Muhammed, you gotta let it go. Patterson. Is. Not. Gonna. Come. Here.

That. Wasn't. Why. I . Posted. That.

• Fire 1

Of course we do.....it's been posted on here a brazilian times to justify Eichorst's head scratching hire.

My idea of overachieving greatly would be Gary Patterson. Take a look at TCU football history. If you dare.

You bring him up all the time. We all know you are perved he wasn't offered the job.

If you are simply trying to compare Riley to Patterson, it's not even fair. Patterson had axcess to a plethora of Texas talent, basically an open door. Then he took that and entered a fantastic situation in the Big 12. Riley has been at the helm of the Pac 12 dumpster fire program with Wazzu and Colorado.

• Fire 2

I think we should hire Warren buffet for head coach. He gives a damn and he's proven he knows how to succeed. Let him bring in top notch recruiters, coordinators, and support staff and let this guy run the show. But I like riley and I don't think his time is up. All I know is Warren would be better than hiring the flavor of the week. And neither are going to happen. Give the man a year

You bring him up all the time. We all know you are perved he wasn't offered the job.

If you are simply trying to compare Riley to Patterson, it's not even fair. Patterson had axcess to a plethora of Texas talent, basically an open door. Then he took that and entered a fantastic situation in the Big 12. Riley has been at the helm of the Pac 12 dumpster fire program with Wazzu and Colorado.

I would doubt he was even contacted, so no....I'm not upset he wasn't offered the job.

It's also kind of old hearing how "unfair" things have been for Riley. Let me be clear.

I don't care.

We're Oregon State East. Congratulations to us........

• Fire 2

Fitzgerald is a Northwestern alum, all American at Northwestern. You really think he is going to leave? Not going to happen, he has enough money and is a hero at the school.

If we fire Coach Riley after one year, truly have no idea who would come here. We have not been relevant for years, most fans think we still are, that it is a plumb job. Maybe it is, but highly doubt it. I think it is a tough job to sell, even if things were going well.

Still hoping the coaching staff gets it together to satisfy the fan base. I am still on the wait and see boat. No true idea if Coach Riley makes it or not, but it is way to early to throw in the towel with three losses by a total of 5 points. Gut wrenching no question, but maybe things will go our way the next. I am in for the long haul. Not for Riley or any coach, but for Nebraska. We are becoming a laughing stock, for losses we should not have and for our fan base going as nuts as Alabama.

• Fire 1

I'd put the odds at 65% (at this point), that we go 0-5 in October. If we do, I say fire everyone and make a $5 million offer to the first Big-Name, PROVEN WINNER who is in his PRIME, who becomes available. (and it goes without saying at this point, that this coach would have to be a fit for Big 10 football).

IF we file em all... we need to start with Harvey Pearlman; under his watch the program/school has taken some major hits. He is the one who keeps hiring bad AD's (except Tom who he hired to fix the Callahan mess, problem is Tom probably wont come back to an even worse Riley mess) and lets not forget NU got kicked out of a prestigious academic program on his watch. we're the only Big Ten School not a member. in fact, that membership was a requirement to join the big ten.

here is the really big problem, who would take the NU gig knowing we regularly fire winning coaches? Bo's behavior aside, he was 9-3 for 7 years. most of us would take that in a minute.

In my opinion, there are only three coaches worth giving a boat load of money to, and there was and is no way they will be coming here. So, I'm hoping the staff with all their experience can adjust and figure out how to win at Nebraska in the Big Ten.

I like what I see from the offense when there is nice weather outside, but even so, the passing game isn't always going to work. When you notice your QB is struggling completing passes and his body language is "bleh", maybe you can help him out with some short passes and running the ball.

Defense should be good against the run, but they have some serious problems against the pass and they need to figure something out quickly.

I will do the only thing I can do as a fan the rest of the season: watch the games and see how they play out. Oh, and drink lots of beer.

Yeah...we already had that Head Coach, and that staff...and the university fired them because Bo pissed the wrong people off and they only won 9-10 games per season.

I'd put the odds at 65% (at this point), that we go 0-5 in October. If we do, I say fire everyone and make a $5 million offer to the first Big-Name, PROVEN WINNER who is in his PRIME, who becomes available. (and it goes without saying at this point, that this coach would have to be a fit for Big 10 football).

IF we file em all... we need to start with Harvey Pearlman; under his watch the program/school has taken some major hits. He is the one who keeps hiring bad AD's (except Tom who he hired to fix the Callahan mess, problem is Tom probably wont come back to an even worse Riley mess) and lets not forget NU got kicked out of a prestigious academic program on his watch. we're the only Big Ten School not a member. in fact, that membership was a requirement to join the big ten.

here is the really big problem, who would take the NU gig knowing we regularly fire winning coaches? Bo's behavior aside, he was 9-3 for 7 years. most of us would take that in a minute.

Agreed.

Agreed.

This isn't directed at you, Moneyball, but to others - it's Perlman. Not Pearlman.

Second, for as much heat as we'd all like to throw on Perlman, he's actually done a lot of great things for the university as Chancellor. Trying to paint him as a burden on the university grossly misrepresents the job he has done. I'm not saying that to excuse some of his flubs with the football program, but, to illustrate that he's done plenty of positive things to go with the bad.

Third, I get sick and tired of people saying 'who would take the NU job' knowing we regularly fire coaches? Well, a lot of people would still take the job. Coaches understand the nature of the business and they understand the expectations associated with being a head coach at these programs. Furthermore, a lot of other coaches would understand the firing of any coach here if they were no better than .500. That doesn't fly at Nebraska and people get that.

I'm also somewhat shocked people keep excluding Bo's behavior and suggesting he would otherwise be the head coach here. His behavior certainly didn't help, but do some of us really have that short term of memory? Some Pelini coached teams hold a significant amount of the worst defensive performances this program has ever seen. He never won a conference title in 7 years as head coach, his teams routinely melted down in big games and - despite being here 7 years - was never able to build a consistent strength along the offensive/defensive lines and his teams were turnover prone.

Bo may have won nine games a year, and that's not an easy task. And while his behavior was a big part of his firing, don't forget that as a team we were pretty much treading water for 7 seasons. All these factors considered - it was time to head a new direction.

• Fire 2

Agreed.

This isn't directed at you, Moneyball, but to others - it's Perlman. Not Pearlman.

Second, for as much heat as we'd all like to throw on Perlman, he's actually done a lot of great things for the university as Chancellor. Trying to paint him as a burden on the university grossly misrepresents the job he has done. I'm not saying that to excuse some of his flubs with the football program, but, to illustrate that he's done plenty of positive things to go with the bad.

Third, I get sick and tired of people saying 'who would take the NU job' knowing we regularly fire coaches? Well, a lot of people would still take the job. Coaches understand the nature of the business and they understand the expectations associated with being a head coach at these programs. Furthermore, a lot of other coaches would understand the firing of any coach here if they were no better than .500. That doesn't fly at Nebraska and people get that.

I'm also somewhat shocked people keep excluding Bo's behavior and suggesting he would otherwise be the head coach here. His behavior certainly didn't help, but do some of us really have that short term of memory? Some Pelini coached teams hold a significant amount of the worst defensive performances this program has ever seen. He never won a conference title in 7 years as head coach, his teams routinely melted down in big games and - despite being here 7 years - was never able to build a consistent strength along the offensive/defensive lines and his teams were turnover prone.

Bo may have won nine games a year, and that's not an easy task. And while his behavior was a big part of his firing, don't forget that as a team we were pretty much treading water for 7 seasons. All these factors considered - it was time to head a new direction.

Looks like it's that time again.

• Fire 1