If we go 0-5 in October, should the A.D. and coaching staff be flushed so we can get a jump on any good coaches that become available in Nov. & Dec.?

1-4 Purdue coming back from a partially self imposed 21-0 deficit against overrated Sparty doesn't mean they still aren't 1-4 Purdue.

We are in absolutely no position to be marginalizing any of our future opponents this year.

This is akin to a Texas fan writing off Iowa State this year "Cuz they're just Iowa State"

The brown squirrel is brown.

1-4 Purdue coming back from a partially self imposed 21-0 deficit against overrated Sparty doesn't mean they still aren't 1-4 Purdue.

We are in absolutely no position to be marginalizing any of our future opponents this year.

This is akin to a Texas fan writing off Iowa State this year "Cuz they're just Iowa State"

The brown squirrel is brown.

It is...

...but the big red machine is...?

Here's some history on other programs who have gone through some hard times.

Oklahoma: 1989-1999 (11 years) 4 coaches; 3 losing seasons; 2 .500 seasons; Bob Stoops first year 7-5

Alabama: 1997-2007 (11 years) 4 coaches; 4 losing seasons; 1 .500 seasons; Nick Saban first year 9-6

So Cal: 1990-2001 (12 years) 4 coaches; 2 losing seasons; 3 .500 seasons; Pete Carroll first year 6-6

Notre Dame: 1997-2010 (14 years); 4 coaches; 4 losing seasons; 2 .500 seasons; Brian Kelly first year 8-5

Michigan State: 1991-2010 ( 20 years) 5 coaches; 9 losing seasons (0-11 in 1994); 3 .500 seasons; Mark Dantonio first year 7-6

Nebraska: 2002-2014 (13 years) 4 coaches; 2 losing seasons; 0 .500 seasons, Mike Riley first year TBD

The only program on there that even resembles our struggles is USC from 1990-2001. Bama and OU were decimated by NCAA probation and sanctions in those years. Notre Dame fell on hard times after Holtz because the school chose not to lower their academic standards like they did under Holtz. Michigan State was never where we were.

USC is similar though especially when you consider why they went through so many coaches in that time frame. It was because of some of their alumni much like ours who were accustomed to playing for NCs. Pete Carroll really wasn't a bullseye hire either. He was more or less comparable to Clownahan. Plus, he's the reason USC endured NCAA probation and sanctions. It remains to be seen, but I highly doubt they are a top program anytime soon again.

Bama sanctions where nothing but a slap on the wrist.

They received a 2 year bowl ban and had a whole lot of scholarship reductions. Almost had the death penalty. I would say they were more than a slap on the wrist. Can you imagine being a Bama fan and not watching your team go to a bowl game for two whole years? If people think there's nothing else to do in Nebraska, there's even less to do in Alabama. I'm surprised the state didn't burn down during that time.

IMO. Nebraska is Alabama back in the late 90's early 2000's. They went thru some horrible coaches till the stumbled on Saban.

Gene Stallings

Mike DuBose

Dennis Franchione

Mike Shula.

Thats whos who of crap coaches.

Nebraska coaches

Callahan

Pelini

Riley

Maybe there light at end of longest tunnel in Nebraska.

Am I supposed to take this list seriously? You do realize that Gene Stallings won a NC at Bama don't you? He's the one who single handedly got Bama the sanctions and scholly reductions.

I don't know if you realize this or not, but it was Dennis Franchione who put TCU on the map. His last year there, they were a one loss team and ended up ranked in the top 20. Gary Patterson inherited a good/great team from Franchione. Patterson didn't build TCU.

DuBose never stood a chance. He inherited a Bama team that was 30 scholarships down to other programs because of Bama's NCAA penalties.

I'm not sure how Bama's coaches even resemble ours. Plus, the situations couldn't be further apart. Bama win NC with Stallings. They get blasted by the NCAA because of rules Stallings broke. They end up losing 30 scholarships. DuBose gets fired for having an affair with his secretary. Franchione who is a somewhat proven coach is hired. He gets them headed in the right direction. He is then notified that Bama will receive even further penalties and sanctions from the NCAA. He resigns. Again, how is any of this similar to Nebraska whatsoever?

I like how some are saying we will probably lose to Wisconsin this weekend but beat Iowa. After watching their game last week, I think it will be the opposite.

Wisconsin gave them all their points via short fields and had the decency to (literally) step on their own feet to prevent from scoring the would be winning TD.

I like how some are saying we will probably lose to Wisconsin this weekend but beat Iowa. After watching their game last week, I think it will be the opposite.

Good point here. I feel like this will be a harder game for the simple fact they always give us fits and we are still reeling from the Illinpis loss.....can't believe I just typed that. And, by the end of the year, who knows? Maybe we will finally be clicking.

I don't know if you realize this or not, but it was Dennis Franchione who put TCU on the map. His last year there, they were a one loss team and ended up ranked in the top 20. Gary Patterson inherited a good/great team from Franchione. Patterson didn't build TCU.

This is true (ish). Patterson may have "inherited" the team.....although Coach Fran was only at TCU three seasons. Patterson has a long history with Coach Fran going back to their days at Pittsburg Sate University in Kansas.....a staff that also included Jerry Kill.

Second, for as much heat as we'd all like to throw on Perlman, he's actually done a lot of great things for the university as Chancellor. Trying to paint him as a burden on the university grossly misrepresents the job he has done.

Did you ever hear the details on how Nebraska lost their AAU affiliation? Perlman did not attend the reception and refused to dine with the other AAU representatives during the Association meeting where Nebraska was voted out...by two votes. His main effort on Nebraska's be half was to have brochures pushed underneath the doors of the members.

I think the real question pertaining to this thread title is this. How good of coaches are available in Nov and Dec? You wanna get a head start in hiring coaches without current employment or do we need to get to the front of the line for coaches that are gonna be fired from other jobs? I guess maybe this is simply a timeframe oversight by the op. Maybe people would rather have someone freshly fired from other jobs or some other retread coach currently doing analysis for television. Just curious.

Oklahoma: 1989-1999 (11 years) 4 coaches; 3 losing seasons; 2 .500 seasons; Bob Stoops first year 7-5

Alabama: 1997-2007 (11 years) 4 coaches; 4 losing seasons; 1 .500 seasons; Nick Saban first year 9-6

So Cal: 1990-2001 (12 years) 4 coaches; 2 losing seasons; 3 .500 seasons; Pete Carroll first year 6-6

Notre Dame: 1997-2010 (14 years); 4 coaches; 4 losing seasons; 2 .500 seasons; Brian Kelly first year 8-5

Michigan State: 1991-2010 ( 20 years) 5 coaches; 9 losing seasons (0-11 in 1994); 3 .500 seasons; Mark Dantonio first year 7-6

Nebraska: 2002-2014 (13 years) 4 coaches; 2 losing seasons; 0 .500 seasons, Mike Riley first year TBD

I dont recall two losing seasons - thought it was just one under dollar Bill and Bill C. Frank had a 7-7 season I believe.

I think the real question pertaining to this thread title is this. How good of coaches are available in Nov and Dec? You wanna get a head start in hiring coaches without current employment or do we need to get to the front of the line for coaches that are gonna be fired from other jobs? I guess maybe this is simply a timeframe oversight by the op. Maybe people would rather have someone freshly fired from other jobs or some other retread coach currently doing analysis for television. Just curious.

Both...and it's ok if the search takes 2-3 months. (I'm staying away until Oct. 31, unless I feel the need to respond to direct questions to me from other members here)

I dont recall two losing seasons - thought it was just one under dollar Bill and Bill C. Frank had a 7-7 season I believe.

Bill Callahan went 5-7 in his first and last season as coach of Nebraska

I did not know that Sker. Pretty sound tree there. I really like what Kill has done at Minnesota, hope his health allows him to continue. He has won everywhere he has been I have heard.

Jerry Kill is a good coach. Great? Not yet. He is 28-28 at Minnesota and started his career off there with 2 consecutive losing seasons. We have people that want to fire our current coach after starting 2-3 in his first year. How long do you think Kill would have lasted?