If we go 0-5 in October, should the A.D. and coaching staff be flushed so we can get a jump on any good coaches that become available in Nov. & Dec.?

Wow, we are in worse shape than I thought. Now, we're in as bad of shape as Minnesota was when Kill was hired?

Probably not. But when you have a new coach with new schemes, philosophies, and plans you don't know what you are going to get.

Our fan base was pissed because Riley brought a bunch of guys with him from Oregon St when we all wanted frost and Orgeron as Coordinators.

Kill brought his ENTIRE staff with him to Minnesota. How do you think that would have gone over?

I think the long term damage is done, there is no quick fix at this point. No need to can everyone and "Pray" we can find a great coach to come to Lincoln. Bo did well the first few years but got more paranoid as the years rolled by.

That said, I would however fire Harvey Pearlman, this all happened by decisions he has made. he should be held accountable.

• Fire 1

I did not know that Sker. Pretty sound tree there. I really like what Kill has done at Minnesota, hope his health allows him to continue. He has won everywhere he has been I have heard.

Jerry Kill is a good coach. Great? Not yet. He is 28-28 at Minnesota and started his career off there with 2 consecutive losing seasons. We have people that want to fire our current coach after starting 2-3 in his first year. How long do you think Kill would have lasted?

......because taking over at Minnesota is similar to taking over at Nebraska, where the previous coach won 70% of his games. Please.

• Fire 1

I did not know that Sker. Pretty sound tree there. I really like what Kill has done at Minnesota, hope his health allows him to continue. He has won everywhere he has been I have heard.

Jerry Kill is a good coach. Great? Not yet. He is 28-28 at Minnesota and started his career off there with 2 consecutive losing seasons. We have people that want to fire our current coach after starting 2-3 in his first year. How long do you think Kill would have lasted?

......because taking over at Minnesota is similar to taking over at Nebraska, where the previous coach won 70% of his games. Please.
See post #182

I think the real question pertaining to this thread title is this. How good of coaches are available in Nov and Dec? You wanna get a head start in hiring coaches without current employment or do we need to get to the front of the line for coaches that are gonna be fired from other jobs? I guess maybe this is simply a timeframe oversight by the op. Maybe people would rather have someone freshly fired from other jobs or some other retread coach currently doing analysis for television. Just curious.

Both...and it's ok if the search takes 2-3 months. (I'm staying away until Oct. 31, unless I feel the need to respond to direct questions to me from other members here)

So you aren't really staying away as promised? Quitter....

......because taking over at Minnesota is similar to taking over at Nebraska

It wasn't this year, but if things keep going as they are, they will be similar.

Wow, we are in worse shape than I thought. Now, we're in as bad of shape as Minnesota was when Kill was hired?

Probably not. But when you have a new coach with new schemes, philosophies, and plans you don't know what you are going to get.

Our fan base was pissed because Riley brought a bunch of guys with him from Oregon St when we all wanted frost and Orgeron as Coordinators.

Kill brought his ENTIRE staff with him to Minnesota. How do you think that would have gone over?

Kill, IIRC, has a track record of turning around programs and winning wherever he went. Not so with Riley and his staff.

Orgeron as a coach period seems iffy. I get the point that we all want as many ace recruiters on the staff as possible; I just can't be too sorry Orgeron is not coaching here.

Kevin Steele as DC rumors though, those were nice.

Would love to see the DoNU leadership "ask" Riley to can Banker and hire Steele...

• 3 weeks later...

HAI

scottfrost.jpg

If Scott Frost wasn't a former Husker almost no one would be talking about him on this board. I don't see what substantiates him as a sincere head coaching candidate at Nebraska other than he "knows the program." His résumé is good enough to get a head coaching spot at a mid-to-lower tier football program at best and that's impossible to debate.

If any of you really want a coach that can take Nebraska to level the fans clearly want then Scott Frost is probably not the right answer as he is a massive gamble.

Riley is a massive gamble, take a number.

An unproven coordinator with zero head coaching experience is a substantially bigger gamble than Mike Riley no matter how you slice it. That's a ridiculous and foolish response.

The original point still stands, as well - if he hadn't gone to Nebraska, almost no one would be talking about him here.

Agreed. I'd much rather see us pursue someone like Pat Fitzgerald - he'd be an excellent fit to lead our program.

I thought you said you wanted a proven winner? what championships has he won? and what makes you think he'll leave the school that he played at.