What does a victory over Wisconsin do for you?

Right now, this team is reminding me of the 2012 Mich St. team. That team lost 5 games by 4 pts or less. Hopefully next year will follow the same path that MSU had in 2013.

Yeah, except that the close losses were to decidedly higher-caliber teams than what we've lost to (courtesy Wikipedia):

#14 Ohio State #20 Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI L 16–17 (#1 13-0)

Iowa Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI L 16–19 2OT (4-8)

at Michigan Michigan StadiumAnn Arbor, MI (Paul Bunyan Trophy) L 10–12 (#24 8-5)

#21 Nebraska Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI L 24–28 (#23/#25 10-4)

Northwestern Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI L 20–23 (#16/#17 10-3)

In parentheses is how the teams fared at the end of the season/final poll. Save for the Iowa loss, they were all against Top 25 teams, and one was against the best group of cheaters found outside the SEC that year.

That is a HELL of a lot different that dropping a close game on a Hail Mary to an unrated BYU (which I admit I thought was better than what they've shown), an unranked Miami (who *MAY* break the Top 25 by the end of the season, in spite of Al Golden), and an Illinois team that *MAY* be bowl eligible at the end of the year.

Seriously--the sunshine pumping is getting ridiculous here. These were close, last-minute losses not because of some fluke bounce or luck, but because the coaches mismanaged the team the 59:00 preceding. Dr. Tom never left things up to chance/luck, and always preached about doing what is necessary in the game to make sure it doesn't come down to a bad call/bad bounce/"luck".

For me, a win this weekend will make me a lot happier than a loss would. For the program I think a win here is huge. If the Huskers lose the heat is going to turn up an extra notch. 3-3 looks a whole lot better than 2-4. Also if Nebraska gets blown out by this Wisconsin team then the governor should call a state of emergency. Seriously Wisconsin has all their play makers missing for this game.

Yes, but since when this season has the quality of opponent outside of USA really mattered in the outcome of the game?

Right now, this team is reminding me of the 2012 Mich St. team. That team lost 5 games by 4 pts or less. Hopefully next year will follow the same path that MSU had in 2013.

Yeah, except that the close losses were to decidedly higher-caliber teams than what we've lost to (courtesy Wikipedia):

at Michigan Michigan StadiumAnn Arbor, MI (Paul Bunyan Trophy) L 10–12 (#24 8-5)

In parentheses is how the teams fared at the end of the season/final poll. Save for the Iowa loss, they were all against Top 25 teams, and one was against the best group of cheaters found outside the SEC that year.

That is a HELL of a lot different that dropping a close game on a Hail Mary to an unrated BYU (which I admit I thought was better than what they've shown), an unranked Miami (who *MAY* break the Top 25 by the end of the season, in spite of Al Golden), and an Illinois team that *MAY* be bowl eligible at the end of the year.

Seriously--the sunshine pumping is getting ridiculous here. These were close, last-minute losses not because of some fluke bounce or luck, but because the coaches mismanaged the team the 59:00 preceding. Dr. Tom never left things up to chance/luck, and always preached about doing what is necessary in the game to make sure it doesn't come down to a bad call/bad bounce/"luck".

For me, a win this weekend will make me a lot happier than a loss would. For the program I think a win here is huge. If the Huskers lose the heat is going to turn up an extra notch. 3-3 looks a whole lot better than 2-4. Also if Nebraska gets blown out by this Wisconsin team then the governor should call a state of emergency. Seriously Wisconsin has all their play makers missing for this game.

Yes, but since when this season has the quality of opponent outside of USA really mattered in the outcome of the game?

That's nice that you can make assumptions about Nebraska's opponents not being very good when the season isn't eve half over. Right now Nebraska's opponents combined records are 10-4. Right now that tells me they have won more games than they have lost. That is all.

That's nice that you can make assumptions about Nebraska's opponents not being very good when the season isn't eve half over. Right now Nebraska's opponents combined records are 10-4. Right now that tells me they have won more games than they have lost. That is all.

10-4? Try again. We've played 5 teams. They're averaging 2 wins each? And at least one of them is undefeated?

15-8

If some of you can't see that a win against Wisky right now isn't important to the program stop following the team. This has recruiting implications, future, and frankly sends a message to the other Big 10 foes that Nebraska is somewhat relevant going forward.

Lose this game and yes, the season is in a tailspin that might not be recoverable. This game is important for all reasons, but the most important reason is current players confidence in themselves and coaching staff.

7-5 record isn't glamorous, but its better than 6-6. 8-4 is better and sounds like you had at least a decent season. Riley needs this win but frankly, he has a contract signed, sealed and delivered for the next few years. The program needs the win, along with the fan base.

I realize we are all grasping at straws at this point in time trying to come up with a few glimmers of hope and a couple reasons to remain a little bit hopeful about the near term and even long term future of Husker football! I guess I can offer the following:

1. If we can come up with a win Saturday over a pretty decent Wisconsin team, we can say this is Riley's best win as a Husker coach and perhaps on of his best wins ever!

2. The team desperately needs a confidence booster and a win this week would be a great way to make a fresh start on this season.

3. A win this week can keep the goal of a winning season alive. A loss makes the battle much more difficult as the home games are critical in finding wins every season.

4. Win this one and we can remain in the hunt for a bowl and of course every win means a chance for little bit better bowl game.

5. Respect and recruiting will get a boost.

6. Our current players and coaches came here to win and wins are expected in our stadium.

7. We truly do have a chance to win this game. IMO if we played Wisconsin ten times, we could win 4 and maybe even 5 or 6. The team can get better.

EVERY win means a lot. This is college football, for christ sake!

regardless of Wisconsin's perceived strength or weakness, we should want and need to beat them every year. They are a divisional opponent, if nothing more.

They ARE more, though. They have had our number, and need to be put back in their place.

What is their place? Aren't we the new kids on the block in the B1G? I'm not even sure I understand the comment about Wisconsin needing to be put back in their place. They were a good B1G team long before we joined.

A win against Wisconsin this year really doesn't mean much to me other than it's a win. It's just another game. A win against Michigan State on the other hand would mean a lot because of where they are ranked. I highly doubt Wisconsin finishes the season ranked, so the win will mean nothing more than just another win.

I suppose i should have worded it "put in their place" rather than "put back in their place". That would be more accurate, but really you are just nitpicking about semantics.

My point is that Nebraska SHOULD and WILL own the Big Ten West Division. Wisconsin has done well with their system over the last 15 years or so, but there is no reason Nebraska shouldn't be dominating our series with them. Nebraska has had a more talented roster than Wisconsin for decades. They have had stability of system, and that has been their edge, but them owning us regularly is NOT acceptible to me.

Do you think we should just assume that Wisconsin SHOULD BE dominant over Nebraska?

This is the most important game Riley has ever coached. Really.

For the Huskers, sure. For Riley, I think he has been in more important games. The CFL Championship comes to mind...

1. If we can come up with a win Saturday over a pretty decent Wisconsin team, we can say this is Riley's best win as a Husker coach and perhaps one of his best wins ever!

Not to downplay your point, (because I agree with your post in general), but Riley has had bigger wins.

1998 vs #15 Oregon

2006 vs #2 USC

2007 vs #2 Cal

2008 vs #1 USC

2010 vs #9 Arizona

2012 vs #13 Wisconsin

2014 vs #7 Arizona State

With regard to his tenure here, though, yes, this is probably his most important game.

1. It will not change the requirement that I have to work to put food on the table.

2. It will not cause me to stop being a father, husband, son, brother, uncle and cousin.

3. It will not change me into a seer, thus my advice will still go unheeded.

4. I will not wake up with a new set of wheels in my driveway, a new home or a condo on some majestic beach.

5. The bills will not stop coming in monthly.

Oh by the way, these things will not change if we lose either.

Disclaimer; ~ The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is yours to draw...

15-8

I meant the teams we have lost to

Wisconsin has above average offensive stats in the passing, rushing, and scoring categories. Their numbers in the total offense category are just in the average range. The stats they've put up defensively so far are much better than Nebraska's in all categories but rushing defense...and, as we all should realize, teams have mainly been living off the pass against the Blackshirts this season.

As for what a win over the Badgers would do, I'd just like to find out because: 1) it's fun to watch my team win; and 2) I think it could give the kids confidence and lead to more W's.