Ashamed

#reasonableexpectations

Programs bigger than Nebraska have gone through these difficult times. Overcoming adversity will make the championships all the sweeter when they come.

As for me, I stand with my team in the championship years, and the tough ones.

Perhaps my cheers will drown out the noise from the know-it-alls hell bent on instant gratification.

• Fire 5

We are the greatest fans indeed. We deserve the best. We work our asses off to be able to go to games, afford season tickets, buy gear, etc. How long of a track record do you need look at to understand that we have a career 500 coach and that's what we'll be while he is here. That's not what I want or what we deserve

All these people complaining about a .500 coach. How many people would have a better than .500 at Purdue?? Because that's basically where he was coaching at in his conference. As you can see there are several positions that were left bare by the previous staff(QB, RB, LB, OT). Coach something in your life and you'll understand that things aren't always executed. There will be missed signs, missed calls, dropped passes, and ultimately we have just had all of them go wrong through the first half of our season. Has there been some sketchy coaching calls? Sure, but even at the NFL level you see these calls being made by the elite coaches. Lets support these kids and coaches because whether you like it or not MR is going to be here for at least two more years.

• Fire 2

#reasonableexpectations

Programs bigger than Nebraska have gone through these difficult times. Overcoming adversity will make the championships all the sweeter when they come.

As for me, I stand with my team in the championship years, and the tough ones.

Perhaps my cheers will drown out the noise from the know-it-alls hell bent on instant gratification.

Couldn't agree more

If you read what I wrote, I never said anything about being happy with how we are playing. I was talking about the how the fan base is reacting. It used to be about the "boys", now it seems to be about the "fans". The "boys" don't play for us, they play for each other and the team. It used to be about "hard work and determination" now its about 9 wins.

Will we ever be great again, I don't know. However, we keep firing coaching staffs over and over, it will NEVER happen.

We keep hiring AD's who believe 9 wins isn't enough... cant win the games that matter... so now we don't win the games the matter (per our illustrious AD) or most of the others. I have not blamed the kids as the coach is the one in charge. if the kid makes a mistake the coach should own it. Just like the interim coach at Rutgers on the spike on forth down.. True class, true that he told the kid to spike?? who knows. he was responsible, not trying to shed responsibility by saying we called xxx and the QB did yyyy..

As fans who pay for the gear, the tickets, watch games on TV (allowing networks/BIG/NU to charge more for advertising) we do deserve better... period.. Do the kids owe us anything? No, they do play for each other and the team as it should be. Coaches do owe us, we indirectly pay their checks.. If they are performing at a level far below the average they must be held accountable. period. For me that is where I get upset, I could live with 2-4 IF these coaches were not being out coached on a regular basis. For someone who has been coaching for over 40 years, I do expect more.. I watched Mike Riley in San Diego when he was head coach there. The same type of thing happened then as is happing now. close loses, stiff upper lip, things will get better... three years in all and he got canned. couldn't succeed on the big stage. I can tell you that Charger fans heard what a great guy he was and how he was going to do wonderful things in San Diego (sound familiar?). I was hoping that 20+ years since then he would have gotten better but from what I have seen so far, it is more of the same. I really do hope I am wrong here. Will be happy to admit it. As I don't want to see NU lose and I don't want to see a divided locker room or kids start not trusting their coach. Should Riley lose this team, it may/will affect recruiting. not just because of the fans but because of the attitude of the players.. if we have bad recruiting classes, then we may as well hang it up. We will be the Kansas U of the Big Ten. the one team everyone looks forward to playing for that easy W.

This has happened three times in the last 15 years? Who has be at the university during this time frame? Who is really calling the shots at the university? The AD dose what he is told to do.

+1. Especially when we're losing in the same fashion every time

No credit for variety?

The hail mary

The rally that didn't quite get there

The goal line stand that never ends

And, everyone's favorite: Doink, the lovable overweight kicker.

At least I got a chuckle out of reading the above. Thanks brophog! +1

Nice attempt NU5XChamps on the OP! +1

When I posted this originally, I was frustrated with all the fire Riley postings. I was hoping that my post would help in calming things just a little. After reviewing all the subsequent posts, it appears I had made it worse. What I really find interesting is all the new name posters. I have been reading this board for a long time. I usually keep my thoughts to myself, laugh at some I read and shake my head at others. But, the fire the coach thing is really getting out of hand. Even with all the reposting of my post, nobody addressed the main point I was making.

Its not about the wins or losses, Its about how you play the game. We, the husker faithful, used to keep that in mind and close to our hearts. Not so much anymore. Too bad, that is what made us special as a fan base.

Okay, all you haters..... Ready, set, go.......

• Fire 4

When I posted this originally, I was frustrated with all the fire Riley postings. I was hoping that my post would help in calming things just a little. After reviewing all the subsequent posts, it appears I had made it worse. What I really find interesting is all the new name posters. I have been reading this board for a long time. I usually keep my thoughts to myself, laugh at some I read and shake my head at others. But, the fire the coach thing is really getting out of hand. Even with all the reposting of my post, nobody addressed the main point I was making.

Its not about the wins or losses, Its about how you play the game. We, the husker faithful, used to keep that in mind and close to our hearts. Not so much anymore. Too bad, that is what made us special as a fan base.

There must be some who agree with you, NU5X. You received 17 +1s for your OP. (So far.) I've only seen a handful of posts on HB since we've been giving out +1s that were more well received. :thumbs:

Its easy to say its not all about wins and losses during a time where the team is WINNING on a consistent basis. Now that we know what losing a lot tastes like, it most definitely is about wins and losses.

Instant gratification? It's been FOURTEEN flipping years! It's not like we're calling for Osborne's head after losing another big bowl game and finishing in the top 15. This is WAY different.

Oh...snap....I forgot that this coaching staff has had a part in the last 14 years.

True, it isn't the fault of this staff, but I'm just speaking about Husker Nation as a whole and the desire to get back to national relevance, something we haven't seen in 14 years.

Instant gratification? It's been FOURTEEN flipping years! It's not like we're calling for Osborne's head after losing another big bowl game and finishing in the top 15. This is WAY different.

Oh...snap....I forgot that this coaching staff has had a part in the last 14 years.

True, it isn't the fault of this staff, but I'm just speaking about Husker Nation as a whole and the desire to get back to national relevance, something we haven't seen in 14 years.

Of course everyone is frustrated that we haven't done anything significant for so long. That doesn't all of a sudden mean the right path to getting back there is to fire all the coaches if the first season they are here doesn't go absolutely wonderful. That seems to be the course of action some Husker fans think is the correct path to success.

• Fire 3

Of course everyone is frustrated that we haven't done anything significant for so long. That doesn't all of a sudden mean the right path to getting back there is to fire all the coaches if the first season they are here doesn't go absolutely wonderful. That seems to be the course of action some Husker fans think is the correct path to success.

I think that course of action has been accelerated due to their disapproval of the Riley hire in the first place. Count me in that camp. I however really like Riley as a coach and have great respect for him. I just think a place like Oregon St. is much more suited to him.

What is everyone's tolerance to failure for this season? How many more losses? To me with the players that we have, a 4-8 or 5-7 season is not acceptable with all of the proclaimed coaching upgrades that were made.