Do we have too many walkons playing?

Red Five

Our tradition is having the walk ons come here who are local kids and surrounding areas. We have won championships with the walk ons in the line up. The f*cking star power by recruits names don't mean Jack Sh*t.

NU's tradition is mixing a team of super talented players from all over the country, blending them in with local guys (both scholarship and walk-ons) who can help them understand what a special place Nebraska is, and then playing physical, fast, and smart football on the field. That's how it was done when NU was at it's peak.

The answer is yes. If you're recruiting a four star and a three star at the same position and a walk-on beats you for the spot, somebody(s) isn't doing their job to its full potential, be it the player or the coach. In the end, it's the player's responsibility to develop. It's the coach's responsibility to show them how.

And the thing is two of our walk-ons, Janovich and Weber, might just be our best players this year.....

Does Bando get his job back when both he and Weber are healthy??

If they are both 100%, I have liked Weber's performance better. Maybe there will be opportunities to rotate them, to keep them fresh. But, let's get them both 100% first.

So again, instead of questiong the walk-ons who are out there and kicking ass or if we have "too many", I'm more worried about the three and four star guys we have out there that don't seem to put it all on the line, or the guys that aren't even getting out there at all that had those shiny stars beside their names in high school. Those are the guys that are the issue here.

^^This. This is the crux of the problem right here. Too many recruiting whiffs and attrition over the past several years.

• Fire 1

And the thing is two of our walk-ons, Janovich and Weber, might just be our best players this year.....

Does Bando get his job back when both he and Weber are healthy??

According to the depth chart for this weekend's game, yes

Is Weber healthy? I thought he is out for a few weeks.

No idea. But here it is.

http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/3958706.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100

Our tradition is having the walk ons come here who are local kids and surrounding areas. We have won championships with the walk ons in the line up. The f*cking star power by recruits names don't mean Jack Sh*t.

NU's tradition is mixing a team of super talented players from all over the country, blending them in with local guys (both scholarship and walk-ons) who can help them understand what a special place Nebraska is, and then playing physical, fast, and smart football on the field. That's how it was done when NU was at it's peak.

Do you really know why we won championships in the 1990's. They did not have better athletes than any of those teams they face in the bowl games, they were more conditioned to go 4 quarters compared to the Florida teams and Tenn. CONDITIONING to play football!

We say "walk-on" around here as if it's some sort of defining label these guys wear. As if it means anything. It means that some recruiting service didn't find them and probably should have. If they're getting on the field here ahead of three and four star recruits, then somewhere somebody was wrong huh?

We need to drop these mathematical formulas for explaining every single thing around this program. I think some of it is ridiculous, personally. You can either play or you can't. Chris Weber had 17 tackles one week and 12 another week. Those tackles came against teams that were full of three and four star guys that were trying to stop him.

You belong out there or you don't. The discussion shouldn't be about if we have "too many walk-ons" on the field, the question should be where the hell are guys like Natter, or Newell? Weren't they big time coming out of high school?

I think where a lot of the concern is why aren't the more talented, recruited kids aren't "getting it" or "playing hard" or have the "want-to".

That's what I was getting at.

As to your other comment. Janovich, Weber, and Gangwish are all good football players too. Yeah they have want to, but all football players should have that. That's the name of the game. If Jano, Weber, and Gangwish had three or four stars beside their name, we would'nt even talk about the "want to" factor as part of their equation. I do think the part about being a Nebraska kid and understanding what we are about around here is important. There's a certain edge there, but I would think all of these guys would adapt that edge at this level.

So again, instead of questiong the walk-ons who are out there and kicking ass or if we have "too many", I'm more worried about the three and four star guys we have out there that don't seem to put it all on the line, or the guys that aren't even getting out there at all that had those shiny stars beside their names in high school. Those are the guys that are the issue here.

The point is that walk ons today have more heart and want to than the highly recruited kids from all over. Most (not all) highly recruited kids from all over the country are not gowing up as 'born Huskers' who can't wait to get to Lincoln and try to make the team. We are recruiting them and many of the kids we recruit are choosing between NU and many other programs. The difference is that many of the other programs that we are recruiting against are NOT ELITES. They are middle of the road (ranking in the middle 50 of the programs generally. Thus, if we are the 'best' program and therefore the kid's choice but they are high 2 and 3 stars and a handful of 4 star rated recruits, we are getting kids that are not much better than the very best of the area 'walk on' type recruits. It should not be surprising that many walk ons with Husker hearts beat out recruited 3 star recruits from Illinois, Arizona or California for example that simply chose Nebraska because we had the best facilities between NU, Toledo, Ohio U, NC State, Georgia Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma A&M, Houston, Rice and etc. We are the best program they have a chance to go to that offers a scholarship but it is not like they grew and dreamed of playing for Big Red North.

• Fire 1

Nice emotional response.

And I actually disagree with the star power. It's not and end all be all. Its an athletic guideline. Those stars don't measure or signify someone's off the field actions or mentality.

Some times players are busts, sometimes they arent.

Some players are diamonds in the rough, sometimes they arent.

You can find multiple examples every year. It's not so black and white as you may think