Creativity in the run game

True2tRA

Okay so this is bothering me. Who's the pulling lineman on this play?

mQES28a.png

We might as well tell NW what direction the play is going. Also why we have gotten so many illegal formation penalties this year. Cheating our pulls. This comes back on the coaches and what's going on in practice.

Do you have a gif of this play? A still picture doesn't tell the whole story. This picture looks to me like he is looking back to hear the QB or see if he is motioning. Linemen do that all the time.

mQES28a.png

We might as well tell NW what direction the play is going. Also why we have gotten so many illegal formation penalties this year. Cheating our pulls. This comes back on the coaches and what's going on in practice.

Do you have a gif of this play? A still picture doesn't tell the whole story. This picture looks to me like he is looking back to hear the QB or see if he is motioning. Linemen do that all the time.

https://vine.co/v/eYO9mQi3IvE

LG pulls and gets handed his lunch. Everyone on the D knows he's the pulling man because he is a half yard behind everyone else. Gotta get his ass on the LOS to help keep the play disguised. You run plays like you practice them.

Edit: https://vine.co/v/eYe79VEqzdQ Here is another example. whole point is that you can't telegraph the fact your the pulling blocker. If the starter doesn't execute it, pull them for someone else. Still a coaching decision.

mQES28a.png

LG pulls and gets handed his lunch. Everyone on the D knows he's the pulling man because he is a half yard behind everyone else. Gotta get his ass on the LOS to help keep the play disguised. You run plays like you practice them.

Edit: https://vine.co/v/eYe79VEqzdQ Here is another example. whole point is that you can't telegraph the fact your the pulling blocker. If the starter doesn't execute it, pull them for someone else. Still a coaching decision.

Those 2 plays make Lowry out to be Reggie White.

On #1, that should never happen to a pulling guard. NEVER! Utter should have some speed built up, but he gets knocked on his ass by Lowry.

On #2, Sterup gets pancaked by Lowry. Wow.

good god those are bad

mQES28a.png

Those 2 plays make Lowry out to be Reggie White.

On #1, that should never happen to a pulling guard. NEVER! Utter should have some speed built up, but he gets knocked on his ass by Lowry.

On #2, Sterup gets pancaked by Lowry. Wow.

good god those are bad

I was watching the '92 vs. Colorado video Nuance posted in a different thread and was watching for the same thing. There was at least 1 play where guard and tackle? pulled, maybe more plays but the Oline was always perfectly aligned. This has been going on for a few years now and I expect Cav to correct this.

Does this offense require more skill in the run blocking department compared to last year's offense? I remember someone posting an article about a year ago where an NFL coach said that most of the players coming out of college had to be taught to block since their skills were rubbish and attributed it to the spread offenses being ran. Also, I seem to remember people explaining not to get too worried about the lack of pancake blocks because blocking in the spread was more finesse blocking. It looks to me that our poor running is due to bad blocking and was trying to work out why. I think a few pancake blocks would work better for this offense than defenders having a party in our backfield.

So......we'd all like to return to Tim Beck's run-happy offense that got so much praise and support on this board in recent years?

No. But, what was Beck's offense is better than Langsdorfs. There's no refuting that.

He also had Abdullah. #8 would improve this year's offense big time too. Also, I have no numbers to back this up because I'm lazy, but it feels like turnovers are down this year.

So......we'd all like to return to Tim Beck's run-happy offense that got so much praise and support on this board in recent years?

No. But, what was Beck's offense is better than Langsdorfs. There's no refuting that.

He also had Abdullah. #8 would improve this year's offense big time too. Also, I have no numbers to back this up because I'm lazy, but it feels like turnovers are down this year.

That sounds like a contradiction then. Shouldn't we be just as good as last year with fewer turnovers even without Abdullah?

Regardless, the offense sucks. Whether the reason is players, coaches, scheme, bad luck, etc... it sucks.

Last year's offense was better, this year's offense is worse.

That sounds like a contradiction then. Shouldn't we be just as good as last year with fewer turnovers even without Abdullah?

Regardless, the offense sucks. Whether the reason is players, coaches, scheme, bad luck, etc... it sucks.

Last year's offense was better, this year's offense is worse.s

Just because you turn the ball over less doesn't mean you're a better offense. And yes, FYI, we have 12 turnovers so far, which puts us on base for 18 in the regular season. Last year we had 25 total.

Last year's offense was in year seven of their scheme. They had KB, AA, and a senior captain making plays for them... Not all good ones. Lol. The personnel were much better suited for that scheme.

But yes, statistically, they were better.

Last year's offense was better, this year's offense is worse.s

Just because you turn the ball over less doesn't mean you're a better offense. And yes, FYI, we have 12 turnovers so far, which puts us on base for 18 in the regular season. Last year we had 25 total.

Last year's offense was in year seven of their scheme. They had KB, AA, and a senior captain making plays for them... Not all good ones. Lol. The personnel were much better suited for that scheme.

But yes, statistically, they were better.

I would have thought the loss of Cotton would have offset the loss of AA. :dunno