Thorson- The fastest, shiftiest player on the field

True2tRA

1oPEIl.gif

Blackshirts run defense did great aside from the two runs by Thorson. I thought this one was actually kind of funny. Slowest kid on the field looked like the best athlete to enter Memorial Stadium this season.

Great game by the Blackshirts overall though. To give them credit, at this point Thorson had 2 carries for 117 yards, but the rest of Northwestern had 19 carries for 11 yards total.

I think that there is "track fast" and "football fast". Thorson seems to have "football fast" with a very long stride, which might appear slower but eats up yards.

A classic example of "football fast" vs. "track fast" would be comparing former quarterback Gerry Gdowski and Kenny Walker. Gdowski had a rushing average of almost 8 yards a carry one season at Nebraska and was a Class A gold medalist in four track events in high school...yet Kenny Walker was reputed to be able to reliably chase him down on the field and catch him from behind when both were wearing pads and a helmet and having practiced / played for a half hour.

Still, that doesn't explain the whiffed and broken tackles... :dunno

Gerry...

As horrible as Gerry was on the play, watch Banderas from beginning to end, it's hilarious. He's at the top left of the screen as Thorson is running on the right.

Gerry. It goes back to the comments by Phillips when he was hired. "That white boy safety will be a first round pick if I can fix his hips". Gerry has no fluidity in his hips. He can't "open" them to rapidly change direction. Hence he has issues in the open field when guys break or cut.

Gerry...

As horrible as Gerry was on the play, watch Banderas from beginning to end, it's hilarious. He's at the top left of the screen as Thorson is running on the right.

Gerry. It goes back to the comments by Phillips when he was hired. "That white boy safety will be a first round pick if I can fix his hips". Gerry has no fluidity in his hips. He can't "open" them to rapidly change direction. Hence he has issues in the open field when guys break or cut.

I'll tell you exactly what happened and it wasn't Gerry's hips.

Gerry thought Thorson would play bitch and head toward the sideline. Gerry played it that way and got caught with his pants around his ankles when unlike some of the Husker players, Thorson didn't quit on the play and continued up field.

Why did Banderas let up though? It's like he could've full speed drilled the guy and instead he lets up and trips over himself.

Sadly, from watching games, it appears that he and others often "half step" plays. Goes to accountability. Was mentioned in another thread about OL never subs. Get penalties, bow blocks and still start.... No accountability.

Gerry...

I'll tell you exactly what happened and it wasn't Gerry's hips.

Gerry thought Thorson would play bitch and head toward the sideline. Gerry played it that way and got caught with his pants around his ankles when unlike some of the Husker players, Thorson didn't quit on the play and continued up field.

The bolded has been an issue all season. Not just yesterday. Guys playing with no motor. No killer instinct. Playing whistle to they decide to stop instead of whistle to whistle.

My comments on Gerry was in general. Many of his "misses" were his inability to recover and change direction.