Benning is all about the effort

Red Five

Hell Riley just stands there on the sideline...arms folded...headset on but the mic part pointed up over his head so you know he isn't talking to anyone...He is probably thinking about his next bike ride.

Exactly. Just like Bo's attitude permeated the team the same goes for Riley. Those shots of him with his hands on his knees just staring at the ground a few games ago. He looked like an old guy who just didn't have it anymore and was pondering what to do next. We went from one extreme to the exact opposite. College kids especially feed off of their coaches especially the head coach.

As for the picture by Benning those are probably a lot of backups or reserves. The offensive and defensive linemen always sit. Anyway I don't buy into the picture much in terms the effort the starters are giving.

Whatever it is I think the effort is there but the enthusiasm has been lost. At 3-5 I wonder if some of the players have full confidence in the head coach and his assistants.

I agree. Why can't we have an explosive nutjob like TO on the sidelines. Geez, those damned unflappable coaches just drive me nuts.

TO had a ton of fire on the sideline. He may not have cursed, but he was as intense as any coach out there. Anyone who doesn't remember him arguing calls and going red is simply only recalling his last couple of years (after being advised by doctors to monitor his stress levels).

Never said TO didn't have fire. As someone who remembers him as Bobfather's OC, TO almost always chewed gum and let fly a dadgumit. You post all the clips you can find of TO letting lose and I'll post far more clips of him reacting stoically.

• Fire 1

motivation starts with the coaches, and second team leaders....As a coach one of your top jobs is to motivate the team. ESPECIALLY a team that has the mentality some of these Nebraska players have.

This is a lost cause. The season is done, Riley is lost here.

I am waiting to read the news headlines that Banderas stole Riley's bicycle.

• Fire 1

Hell Riley just stands there on the sideline...arms folded...headset on but the mic part pointed up over his head so you know he isn't talking to anyone...He is probably thinking about his next bike ride.

This is far as I got (so far) in this thread. I like Riley and am trying to be supportive, but damn...

:rollin:rollin

Give me a second and then I'll resume reading

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the story - according to many - over the last several years when the team came out flat or played uninspired was the blame was to be placed the blame on the coaches for not having the team ready to play.

I don't think you're wrong.

I do think fans, and apparently even some ex players, see a lackluster performance and believe that "effort" is the issue. Teams don't "effort" their way to wins (almost ever). It's about execution. And execution is about coaches preparing players during the week and then running their system in a way that leads to a higher probability of success.

"Effort" isn't really as big of a factor as many want it to be.

I just have to totally disagree. If you half ass your effort in a football game, you are going to lose ugly. there is no question that effort (I don't believe it is even proper to say as I often hear one Nebraska sports announcer say "We are going to effort to call someone!" Effort is a noun. One gives a great effort. You can't "I efforted greatly!". It is not used that way. Teams don't win without putting forth a good effort.

First time I saw that picture, I guess I didn't register that that was with 5 minutes left in the game...

Hate throwing guys under the bus, but that's embarrassing. It's pretty obvious there are guys on the team who don't care. There just along for the ride. Sad it's gotten to this point. Really hope Riley has an answer.

This is why we should give the coaching staff more time. Pelini was/ is a cancer.

• Fire 1

Listen to Jason Peter talk about the role the team captains played on the 95 team

The motivation and intensity was obvious and the seniors did not tolerate anything less than 110% effort

Kids from the 90s are very different from kids today. There is a self entitlement to this current generation.

• Fire 1

(Don't know if this matters to the crowd noise) tried to get the crowd going in our section, stand up, cheer, and had people yelling to sit down. Might have nothing to do with nothing but that was the atmosphere in my section.

Apathy has certainly set in to part of the fan base, but the ever-so-loved "blue hairs" have been yelling at people to sit down and shut up for years. Not sure if I'd put much into this.

Listen to Jason Peter talk about the role the team captains played on the 95 team

The motivation and intensity was obvious and the seniors did not tolerate anything less than 110% effort

I have a ton of respect for what the '95 Huskers did and the leadership that team had. Truly unparalleled, and by conjunction, helped lead them to be considered the single best team in college football history.

That said, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing from guys like Tommie Frazier, like Jason Peter, like Matt Vrzal, in relation to how things used to be when they were playing. I have been for years. Nebraska's history is probably the biggest blessing, and greatest curse, this program has. We're so enamored with that era that it quite literally permeates every thing. It's as if we'd rather live in and operate in the mid-90's mindset than understanding that it's 2015.

How the '95 team did things is how the '95 team did things. It's a great example, but not the only one. We can respect and appreciate what they did without hanging onto it at every turn for reference as the team moves forward.

• Fire 5

I have a ton of respect for what the '95 Huskers did and the leadership that team had. Truly unparalleled, and by conjunction, helped lead them to be considered the single best team in college football history.

That said, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing from guys like Tommie Frazier, like Jason Peter, like Matt Vrzal, in relation to how things used to be when they were playing. I have been for years. Nebraska's history is probably the biggest blessing, and greatest curse, this program has. We're so enamored with that era that it quite literally permeates every thing. It's as if we'd rather live in and operate in the mid-90's mindset than understanding that it's 2015.

How the '95 team did things is how the '95 team did things. It's a great example, but not the only one. We can respect and appreciate what they did without hanging onto it at every turn for reference as the team moves forward.

This right here is why some fans are so enamored with the run game and insist that is the only way to play Nebraska football. These folks either never knew an Osborne offense that threw quite often and was considered "pro-style" or have forgotten it. That offense won 6 conference titles and 2 national titles. It even sent one quarterback to the NFL that played in the 1979 Superbowl.

I loved watching Osborne's offenses, pro-style, option and power running.

Kids from the 90s are very different from kids today. There is a self entitlement to this current generation.

This.

There's lots of self-entitlement, yes.

Listen, I still don't think MR is the guy for the job. Only time will tell us if that is true or not. That being said - a coach can only motivate a player so much. Players must be self-motivated to do what needs to be done.

I'd agree with what Carricker said in his FB post about the team buying into MR's system, though. I'm a WCO kind of guy, and I keep going back to this one argument:

Look at the teams that have won National championships all the way back to 2000. How many ran a WCO/Pro Style offense?

2000: OU - WCO/Pro Style

2001: DA U - WCO/Pro Style

2002: Buckeyes - WCO/Pro Style

2003: LSU/USC - both WCO/Pro Style

2004: USC - WCO/Pro Style

2005: TExPN - Spread/Zone

2006: Florida - Spread/Zone

2007: LSU - WCO/Pro Style

2008: Florida - Spread/Zone

2009: Bammer - WCO/Pro Style

2010: Auburn - Spread/Zone

2011: Bammer - WCO/Pro Style

2012: Bammer - WCO/Pro Style

2013: Free Shoes - WCO/Pro Style

2014: Buckeyes - Spread/Zone

It's not that the WCO/Pro Style offense is any better than the Spread/Zone offense. But the WCO/Pro Style offense attracts players that wish to play at the next level, period, end of story.