Benning is all about the effort

Red Five

Pretty hard to have hitting in practice when your squad looks like a MASH unit. Can you imagine the uproar from the "fans" if some starters got hurt in practice because of the hitting going on.

There would be torches and pitchforks calling for the coaching staffs head. "Shouldn't they know not to have as much hitting in practice with as many injuries they've had this year. This staff is a joke and just doesn't get it"

Damned if they do....Damned if they don't. Can't win.

• Fire 1

Agreed, though that's a problem across all programs now. Even at the next level.

Agree that it is a problem. However, there are programs that still have that edge about them.

This is what I'm talking about. We haven't had that in a very very long time and that has to come from within the players. Sure, a coach can help it along. But, where is that fire within the players? It's just not there.

Listening the Sharp & Benning on podcast this morning. Only through Segment 2, but Benning is calling out the effort of this team. He doesn't absolve the coaches, but says the players need to "buy in" and "care" and that seems to be his #1 problem.

He talked about TA and his (bad) decision making, but he said he would take 105 Tommy Armstrongs on this team because Tommy gives it his all and cares.

377.gif

Listening the Sharp & Benning on podcast this morning. Only through Segment 2, but Benning is calling out the effort of this team. He doesn't absolve the coaches, but says the players need to "buy in" and "care" and that seems to be his #1 problem.

He talked about TA and his (bad) decision making, but he said he would take 105 Tommy Armstrongs on this team because Tommy gives it his all and cares.

377.gif

I completely agree with Benning on this. If you think the players are giving full effort, then you didn't watch on Saturday.

• Fire 1

It's going to become increasingly clear that this isn't an effort thing. Heck, Riley even said it wasn't an effort issue today in the press conference (said that it "frankly isn't" when pressed). I respect him for that, because he's right. He also made some great points about human nature and resisting the urge to throw up your hands when faced with adversity. Said the frustration is not a human flaw issue. It's a result of the bad losses suffered so far.

I wonder if guys like Benning will eat their words at some point. Because there's no historic precedent to indicate this staff has the ability to get anyone to perform over their own heads. That's just plain reality.

Benning still calling out effort today. But is also calling out the coaches for a bad game plan, not having "tough" enough practices, and not having any consequences for poor play.

I can see every aspect of that.

Illinois and Purdue both stand out as brutal examples of a poor game plan.

The practices do need to get tougher in my opinion. We've got too many guys taking bad pursuit angles and playing a bit un-aggressively. Maybe more game-like practices could help this, but with all the injuries on the team, I can see why the coaches are leery about anybody else getting hurt.

The effort thing has been pretty obvious and easy to spot. It's not everyone, but it is some. We are a very inconsistent team, have been for a long time. We have been in almost all aspects of the game, but Bo used to at least get a pretty consistent effort. It appears Riley does not get that same respect from the players, and I don't know if that should be all that surprising.

I still look at the talent of this team as probably better than Illinois and Purdue for sure, but if those talented players aren't executing, making plays or giving consistent effort, then it's not gonna matter. We've not been able to overcome our inconsistency with a huge play here or there like we did in the past. We've been an inconsistent team for a really long time, but we used to have that couple of guys that made up for it here or there with a few big plays per game. Abdullah's absence is huge for this team. I'd sure like a Randy Gregory at DE right now as well.

• Fire 1

I am left wondering about the o-line. If there is no chance that the starters will be coming off the field during the game, what exactly is pushing them to perform at the top of their abilities?

I'll buy that the starters are the best players available. I find it hard to believe that their backups couldn't play harder and get better results.

I hope that makes sense. My brain to keyboard translator doesn't always synch.

• Fire 2