1992 Huskers: Most underrated?

NUance

I was searching YouTube for something and happened across this highlight video from NU vs. CU 1992. These guys were for real! Sure they lost three games, going 9-3. But look who they lost to: #2 Washington on the road, a hiccup to Iowa State in Ames, and an Orange Bowl loss to #3 Florida State. This team had true frosh Tommie Frazier running the offense. He looked like a 5th year senior out there. Also had two 1st team All Americans: Will Shields and Travis Hill. Three second team All Americans: Trev Alberts, Calvin Jones and John Parrella. And three All American honorable mentions: Derek Brown, Tyrone Bird and Mike Stigge,

I think the 1992 team might be one of the most underrated Husker teams ever. One hiccup to Iowa State in Ames, and tough road losses to the #2 and #3 teams in the nation. They didn't get much credit because of the dominant Husker teams that followed. Just sayin..

=============================

btw, Check out the Fumblerooski to Will Shields at 4:20. Awesome! :lol:

• Fire 4

I don't think that team had been forgotten. Many consider that team to be the team that turned the corner and made Nebraska a legitimate national title contender.

Having Tommie step into the starting role after the first few games gave us all a glimpse of just how good he could be. I remember my wife's cousin telling me that, "there's something special about that kid. He's gonna win us a couple of titles."

I still have no clue how Will Shields got that ball. I rewatched that play 3 times.

Football back then was a funner sport to watch for me. No, it wasn't because we were winning. It wasn't because of rules changes that have attempted to make it safer for players. The offenses were just more fun to watch for me.

No, I'm not complaining about our current staff. This is throughout college football. Changes in the game in many ways have changed offenses so, to me, they just aren't as fun to watch.

• Fire 1

I don't know that I remember Tommie's first game snaps like I do Steve Taylor's (who had some great bowl game runs against Michigan) but I was out of state at that time for school. The point has been raised that the ISU QB was the only counterpart of Tommie's to have ever, arguably, bested him on the gridiron through college (despite TFraz having gone up against Heisman winners). The 'Clone had one big play, though, as I recall...but then we're also biased.

I don't know that I remember Tommie's first game snaps like I do Steve Taylor's (who had some great bowl game runs against Michigan) but I was out of state at that time for school. The point has been raised that the ISU QB was the only counterpart of Tommie's to have ever, arguably, bested him on the gridiron through college (despite TFraz having gone up against Heisman winners). The 'Clone had one big play, though, as I recall...but then we're also biased.

http://www.huskermax.com/games/1992/09iowastate.html

That Iowa State game was one of the wonkiest games in NU history. NU just couldn't do much all day, and Iowa State hung around and ended up winning. Marv Seiler (ISU QB) had 144 yards rushing, but that was aided by one long run. Frazier didn't have a bad game statistically, but he wasn't supposed to be the leader of that offense as a true freshman. Derek Brown and Calvin Jones didn't do much all day, and the Blackshirts couldn't get ISU off the field.

I remember all the crap I took at work the entire week before that game. I'm behind enemy lines in the Mile High City. The final score was such sweet revenge. Come next Monday morning no one mentioned the game, until I did right before lunch. All I said was....What? No one wants to talk about the game? unibrow.gif

• Fire 1

I still have no clue how Will Shields got that ball. I rewatched that play 3 times.

Football back then was a funner sport to watch for me. No, it wasn't because we were winning. It wasn't because of rules changes that have attempted to make it safer for players. The offenses were just more fun to watch for me.

No, I'm not complaining about our current staff. This is throughout college football. Changes in the game in many ways have changed offenses so, to me, they just aren't as fun to watch.

Yeah, I've watched it a bunch of times too. It looks like Shields reaches for it before he takes a step, but apparently fumbles it himself. He scoops it up as he takes a couple steps forwards than then starts running.

There's no doubt previous Husker teams played w a higher level of intensity, passion, and determination than teams in the past 4-6 yrs.

now we get 2-3 guys on any given play playing balls to the wall. Everyone on that field was flying around

• Fire 1

http://www.huskermax.com/games/1992/09iowastate.html

That Iowa State game was one of the wonkiest games in NU history. NU just couldn't do much all day, and Iowa State hung around and ended up winning. Marv Seiler (ISU QB) had 144 yards rushing, but that was aided by one long run. Frazier didn't have a bad game statistically, but he wasn't supposed to be the leader of that offense as a true freshman. Derek Brown and Calvin Jones didn't do much all day, and the Blackshirts couldn't get ISU off the field.

That was the very first away game that I ever bought tickets to. My brother and I were driving up as a snow storm hit the area. Our plans changed when I blew a frost plug in my wife's Ford Taurus. We spent the day in some grease monkeys shop in the muddle of nowhere while he repaired it.

I read a poor article after the Illinois game, in which the author was making the case that Riley supporters needed to admit they were wrong. The author made the case that Notre Dame went and got their guy...implying there were no growing pains. The truth is that Brian Kelly's first team went 4-4 to start but what I am I was writing about reminded me of it. The defense was flying and gang tackling from the start in stark contrast to the Weis days.

I read a poor article after the Illinois game, in which the author was making the case that Riley supporters needed to admit they were wrong. The author made the case that Notre Dame went and got their guy...implying there were no growing pains. The truth is that Brian Kelly's first team went 4-4 to start but what I am I was writing about reminded me of it. The defense was flying and gang tackling from the start in stark contrast to the Weis days.

I am not going to pretend that I know about Brian Kelly's first team at Notre Dame, but I do know what I am seeing with Riley at NU.

With Riley at NU we are seeing: inconsistent/bad o-line play, terrible pass defense, inconsistent QB play, poor clock management, too many penalties, lack of urgency, and lack of effort. Those types of things are troubling when looking for "items of improvement" under Riley.

• Fire 2