1992 Huskers: Most underrated?

NUance

I don't know about being underrated. How many 4-7 teams did TO lose to in his tenure as HC? Call it a hiccup or whatever you will, but that game sticks out like a sore thumb in TO's coaching career.

I think the NU loss against Iowa State was TO's only loss to a team that finished the season as a losing record. I think one loss like that is forgivable over 307 career games.

• Fire 2

I don't know about being underrated. How many 4-7 teams did TO lose to in his tenure as HC? Call it a hiccup or whatever you will, but that game sticks out like a sore thumb in TO's coaching career.

I think the NU loss against Iowa State was TO's only loss to a team that finished the season as a losing record. I think one loss like that is forgivable over 307 career games.

I didn't say it was unforgivable. I just said it's pretty difficult to say the 92' squad was underrated when it handed TO his only loss of his career to a team that finished with a losing record. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Hard to say the team was underrated.

Maybe that's why the 1992 squad is underrated. Because they had that one brain fart loss to the Cyclowns. If they played that game ten more times they'd probly win ten times. But somehow Iowa State managed to win that one game in 1992. Just goes to prove that even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. :lol:

I didn't say it was unforgivable. I just said it's pretty difficult to say the 92' squad was underrated when it handed TO his only loss of his career to a team that finished with a losing record. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Hard to say the team was underrated.

I don't know if the '92 squad is "underrated". I think it is a squad that is forgotten by some fans. It was mainly a team in a time of transition for the football program, that had some big wins, and won a conference title. The offense was transitioning to one being led by Tommie Frazier at QB. The defense was still transitioning to the 4-3 and using more speed in the back 7. I remember a lot of young guys playing on that '92 team who contributed to TO's first national title in 1994.

The Iowa State loss totally took the sheen off of that team. They absolutely obliterated two top ten teams on national television two weekends in a row and were poised to move into the top five.

I was a sophomore in high school. I had a cousin get married in West Point the weekend of the KU game, on the Friday. We drove out from Wisconsin straight there, and then to Lincoln that night after the reception. About 10 of us had tickets split up all over the stadium; I was in the west stadium near the goal line of the north end zone. Good seats. It was a pretty special moment for me because it had been the first game I'd been to since I'd moved away from Lincoln several years before. Kansas was ranked for the first time in an eternity and we just completely hammered them, one week after the infamous CU massacre. Those two games, to me, were the watershed moment of the championship dynasty. We knew at the time that Tommie might be something very, very special, right from the first time he started. They were already selling #15 jerseys at Nebraska Bookstore (RIP) and I got one. Still hangs in my closet, although I'm too big to wear it now.

All that makes what happened the next week all the more mystifying. The ISU game wasn't on television, at least in Wisconsin. I basically fixated myself to the ESPN ticker. For the longest time it seemed like the score was 12-10 and I kept expecting it to change.... any minute it would, any minute of would. Of course, when it finally did, it went to 19-10. Such an unbelievable WTF moment and such a downer from the week before.

1992 reminds me a lot of 1981, with Gill taking over for Mauer and the influx of young talent that eventually did great things....

• Fire 1

Gonna say the '93 Huskers deserve a shout out for most underrated. They came within a Bryan Bennett missed field goal of beating #1 Florida State and heisman winner Charlie Ward for the national championship that year.

I don't say this often. But, the refs cost us that game. If we had instant replay back then, we have another NC. However, that wouldn't have nullified the fantom block in the back.

Gonna say the '93 Huskers deserve a shout out for most underrated. They came within a Bryan Bennett missed field goal of beating #1 Florida State and heisman winner Charlie Ward for the national championship that year.

I don't say this often. But, the refs cost us that game. If we had instant replay back then, we have another NC. However, that wouldn't have nullified the fantom block in the back.

I've seen this reference a few times recently but this is the first I've heard about it - or at least I can't picture what they're talking about. What would replay have fixed?

I've seen this reference a few times recently but this is the first I've heard about it - or at least I can't picture what they're talking about. What would replay have fixed?

The 'Noles RB fumbles at the goal line. Florida State Fan says that was a TD. Nebraska Fan says that was a fumble, and Nebraska recovered.
  • Fire 1