Fan Expectations

soup

What are fan expectations?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I'm curious. What are fan expectations? Regardless of coach. In a hypothetical football world where you had whatever specific coach de jour at the helm at Nebraska what would you rather see?

Option A: Win 9 games 5 years in a row?

Option B: Go 5-7 to 14-0 in 5 years?

Tried to make it a poll, but it didn't work.

Edited by NUance
I made your poll for you, Soup. :-)
  • Fire 1

This kind of year? Bowl game at minimum. 3 out 4 years, we should either win, or be a game away from winning our division. 3 out of 4 years with a shot at the conf. title. Probably have to win the B1G to even talk about the playoff, so our division should be our 1st goal.

But to not make a bowl game with our schedule and athletes (I understand injuries have played a big part) is pretty bad.

There's a better chance I get my face sculpted into Mt. Rushmore in the next 5 years than this staff going 14-0 at Nebraska during the same time frame.

That's not the question. The question is: Regardless of who is coaching the team, which would you rather see?

I expect this team to compete for the division year in and year out. We're on the weak side of the Big 10, and don't have to worry about Michigan St., Michigan, Ohio St. and Penn St. Those are the top 4 teams in the conference as far as recruiting goes. There's no reason why we should be looking up at Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin. I don't expect national championships anymore, if they happen that's great. At this point me along with the rest of the Husker fan base is begging for a conference championship, or to at least be on the big stage.

Seems the question is basically which do you want ? What we had was a coach that seemed to have us winning as a number 35 to 40 ranked team with about 9 wins and 4 losses annually or a team that is rebuilt with a future of winning it all? That is the essence of your 'poll'. I think most of the posts on this board have in one way or another answered this already with the latter (second choice being we want the title not just a decent team ). We realize we need to suffer in the near term but with the upsdie being a title type team in a half decade or so.

A large majority it seems to me have already said this. IMO

The problem you have it that there are significant number (perhaps 20% of the members who opine hereon) that believe strongly that Riley cannot get us to 14-0 even if he is given all the time and resources and 5 or 6 years hence he will STILL be 5-7 or maybe even worse. So, I think the more appropriate question is:

Do you believe Riley can lead Nebraska to a championship within 6 years?

You might also ask - Do you believe any other coach could lead us to a championship with 6 years?

If so, name him: ______________________.

Seems the question is basically which do you want ? What we had was a coach that seemed to have us winning as a number 35 to 40 ranked team with about 9 wins and 4 losses annually or a team that is rebuilt with a future of winning it all? That is the essence of your 'poll'. I think most of the posts on this board have in one way or another answered this already with the latter (second choice being we want the title not just a decent team ). We realize we need to suffer in the near term but with the upsdie being a title type team in a half decade or so.

The problem you have it that there are significant number (perhaps 20% of the members who opine hereon) that believe strongly that Riley cannot get us to 14-0 even if he is given all the time and resources and 5 or 6 years hence he will STILL be 5-7 or maybe even worse. So, I think the more appropriate question is:

You might also ask - Do you believe any other coach could lead us to a championship with 6 years?

The worst part about this is, the fact that folks believe this, and instead of trying to support him to make the prospect easier. They would rather throw proverbial "rocks" at the guy because he isn't their idea of the "perfect" coach. Which in turn makes his job harder to do, and essentially guarantees that he will fail. "They" get want they want, while the rest of us have to sit through yet another rebuilding time frame because some people didn't like the guy, and wouldn't even give him a chance from the get go.

Like many others have said. Support him for at the VERY least the first two years, and if you don't see any improvement, feel free to throw your "rocks" at him. Until then support the program, and be the so called "greatest fans" there are, and enjoy the ride of close games and exciting recruiting.

• Fire 2

The worst part about this is, the fact that folks believe this, and instead of trying to support him to make the prospect easier. They would rather throw proverbial "rocks" at the guy because he isn't their idea of the "perfect" coach. Which in turn makes his job harder to do, and essentially guarantees that he will fail. "They" get want they want, while the rest of us have to sit through yet another rebuilding time frame because some people didn't like the guy, and wouldn't even give him a chance from the get go.

Like many others have said. Support him for at the VERY least the first two years, and if you don't see any improvement, feel free to throw your "rocks" at him. Until then support the program, and be the so called "greatest fans" there are, and enjoy the ride of close games and exciting recruiting.

Bingo.