If Nebraska makes staff changes on D and ST, will you feel better about 2016?

If Riley brings in a new ST coach or just scraps that idea all together and brings in a new D Coordinator/Secondary/Dline coach will you feel better about 2016?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dont see Riley firing his friends as he has been with them forever and he hasnt made changes yet, even when they didn't do well at oregon state. And not a knock on Riley's "nice guy" persona, but he is a nice guy and knows these coaches uprooted their lives from Corvallis to move to Lincoln...If Riley has enough time, he will keep his coaches for another year.

If he doesn, I'd love to see him go after Frost as OC and simply say he's coach in waiting. That would make me feel a lot better about things. Hell, if Frost is named head coach in waiting, I would be all for Riley being here 4-5 years.

This so reminds me of Callahan and his buddy Cozgrove.... We do seem to have Steve Pederson part two and Cozgrove part two... The one who really needs to be let go is Harvey Pearlman... hes the clown actually bringing down the program with his AD hires (ihe wont be able to talk Tom out of retirement this time to fix his blunders).

I dont see Riley firing his friends as he has been with them forever and he hasnt made changes yet, even when they didn't do well at oregon state. And not a knock on Riley's "nice guy" persona, but he is a nice guy and knows these coaches uprooted their lives from Corvallis to move to Lincoln...If Riley has enough time, he will keep his coaches for another year.

If he doesn, I'd love to see him go after Frost as OC and simply say he's coach in waiting. That would make me feel a lot better about things. Hell, if Frost is named head coach in waiting, I would be all for Riley being here 4-5 years.

Have we ever seen a "coach-in-waiting" work? Muschamp left Texas before he got the job there. Osborne told Solich that he would get the job after he retired, and TO retired at the peak of his career in order to keep his word. I guess when Devaney said he was retiring in 1972 and named Osborne his successor, that was a "coach in waiting" situation, but that was only 1 year.

Have there been other "coach-in-waiting" situations that have been made public and have worked out?

Jimbo Fisher obviously has worked-out, but Bowden had to be shoved out the door so it hardly went off without a hitch.

Read and Stewart need to gtfo. when your squad is dead last in the country and there are some sh**ty teams out there then you obviously are not worth your paycheck.

What about Oregon State's ST's said we needed to bring Read over other than that he was an old buddy? Ugh.

I was bummed to lose Warren but thought Stewart would be a heck of a replacement, really surprised me to see our secondary struggle so much. He doesn't have the douche factor that made Elmassian a coaching nomad but he's done a similar job with our db's so far. What's especially frustrating about our pass-D and even a bit misleading about our rush is that we aren't even playing good offenses. Only one O we've played is ranked in the top50.

On the plus side Bray has been a revelation, nice to see our LB's coached-up after having to watch Ells for years. That guy needed to go whether Bo stayed or not.

I actually kinda like the D scheme. I think we're a solid corner and a legit pass rusher away from having a very salty D. (Would definitely agree the secondary coach should be replaced, though.)

I think the offense is a bigger issue. It could get better with a legit QB, but the running game is a total disaster.

I would go for this:

Langs "moves back" to coach QB's in NFL and gets to save face. Scott Frost is new OC. Frost moves laterally (from Oregon OC) but is in line for HC at Nebraska when Riley retires.

Ed Orgeron is new DC, moves up from DL coach at LSU. Let this guy run the defense, recruit the country, and restore the Blackshirts. With Orgeron having so much to do, I'd allow Riley to retain Banker as asst. DC or somewhere on the defense as it is likely he is not going to remove Banker.

Stewart and Read are not retained.

This works...Langs "moves on", I don't think Riley had a strong relationship with Stewart anyway, Read is his friend but should go as his $ need to be used somewhere else on staff. Lots of coaches stay like Bray, Hughes (DL is playing better), Davis, Cavanaugh (although I think he is at risk next), etc. Lots of continuity (that Riley probably wants) but we also get key upgrades and add strong recruiters to the staff while cutting the weakest links.

I am pulling for all these coaches and for their philosophy to stick but if I could do this deal today I would.

Bo Pelini got his @ss kicked pretty good on defense in his first year in 2008. He ran his system. He finished 83rd in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 29.2 points per game.

Mark Banker has caught tons of flak for his garbage pass defense so far. He's running his system. He's currently 53rd in the nation, giving up 24.8 PPG.

He's not going to alter his defense in any major way, regardless of whether he has the personnel to run it. You know why? It's the system we're going to use. You rep it, rep it, rep it, and then rep it some more. It's your identity. The hope is that the kids get more comfortable and get used to playing in it and get a bit better. If not, you recruit your butt off and rep your identity early with the new guys so they're used to it.

Agree the corners could play more press. But maybe they can't, who knows. I've seen improvement the last couple weeks. They've just got to continue to get more comfortable in the system and more consistent.

Agree the STs and Pass D need to improve. But this fire his friends crap needs to stop. If you believe in a coach, you believe in his judgment about how to build his staff. They're not here because they're his friends. They're here because they're who he trusts to run his team.

• Fire 2

Bo Pelini got his @ss kicked pretty good on defense in his first year in 2008. He ran his system. He finished 83rd in the nation in scoring defense, giving up 29.2 points per game.

Mark Banker has caught tons of flak for his garbage pass defense so far. He's running his system. He's currently 53rd in the nation, giving up 24.8 PPG.

He's not going to alter his defense in any major way, regardless of whether he has the personnel to run it. You know why? It's the system we're going to use. You rep it, rep it, rep it, and then rep it some more. It's your identity. The hope is that the kids get more comfortable and get used to playing in it and get a bit better. If not, you recruit your butt off and rep your identity early with the new guys so they're used to it.

Agree the corners could play more press. But maybe they can't, who knows. I've seen improvement the last couple weeks. They've just got to continue to get more comfortable in the system and more consistent.

Agree the STs and Pass D need to improve. But this fire his friends crap needs to stop. If you believe in a coach, you believe in his judgment about how to build his staff. They're not here because they're his friends. They're here because they're who he trusts to run his team.

We'd be lower than 53rd if we were going against good offenses. As I said earlier we've only been up against one offense rated in the top50. On the plus side we have played against some decent defenses.

• Fire 1

It's fair to say Nebraska hasn't faced any great offenses. Southern Miss has posted the best overall offensive stats in the passing, rushing, scoring and total offense categories by my evaluation...followed by Wisconsin and BYU. I have these three at ranks 19, 35, and 45 respectively. Miami would be next on the list in the 86th slot. Nebraska's overall performance puts them at #23 offensively and #79 defensively, for what it's worth. This ranking is calculated based on deviation from means for figures within these eight categories. I also consider turnover margin category stats for overall rankings. Nebraska's performance puts them at #44 overall but, if I adjust for strength of schedule, the Corn move up to #38. It should be noted that Nebraska is one of just nine teams to have played eight games against FBS teams to date this season (as that obviously affects all these figures). I only count games between FBS teams, too. Games against teams from lower divisions are generally nothing but scrimmages after all.

While I'm 99% sure that there won't be any staff changes anytime soon, I wouldn't mind seeing Read and Stewart go. I'm on the fence on Langsdorf and Banker. They don't seem to make much effort to make their schemes fit the players, but maybe things will be better once they have the players that fit their scheme.