WE ARE NUMBER 1 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ndobney

The site has Norm Chow at #60. And Chow was just canned from Hawaii today.

Haha! End thread.

He was #3 earlier today before being fired.

You're looking at the expanded rating list. I'm not sure why he is still showing up at #60 on there, but he was indeed #3 earlier today before being removed from the top 30 list altogether after his firing (the guys at the top of the page with the accompanying photos). As a result everyone but Riley and Richt moved up on the list, and Kingsbury earned a spot in the top 30.

Oh I see. Carry on the discussion of how horrible Coach Riley is then........I think there's quite a few other threads folks might want to check out as well. Lot's of good firing discussions going on. I think even some new coach suggestions. Lots of the usual Scott Frost stuff.

The site has Norm Chow at #60. And Chow was just canned from Hawaii today.

Haha! End thread.

He was #3 earlier today before being fired.

You're looking at the expanded rating list. I'm not sure why he is still showing up at #60 on there, but he was indeed #3 earlier today before being removed from the top 30 list altogether after his firing (the guys at the top of the page with the accompanying photos). As a result everyone but Riley and Richt moved up on the list, and Kingsbury earned a spot in the top 30.

I was about to say, Chow has been near the top 10 ever since the end of his first year at Hawaii

OK, he must've moved Hawaii to the neutral position as a placeholder for the new coach but didn't remove Chow's name. I hadn't been paying attention to the hot seat. I really didn't think Riley was on it his first year and I still don't think he's #1, but he's probably up there.

It seems like EVERYONE in the nation is able to identify that Eichorst hired a nice guy but not a winning coach. How can you not see that? You have to be blind and deaf not to see that. The article clearly points out what everyone knew when this hire happened. Riley is not a better coach than Bo but definitely much nicer and will not embarrass the arrogant Eichorst and Pearlman. I was never a BOliever and I agreed with his firing as he was not able to get us over the hump and he consistently lost to opponents that mattered. However, the hiring of Riley was very quick and done without any input or thought. After all, who was really competing for this guy. I honestly never knew of him until he was announced and once I heard he coached Oregon State, my heart stopped. On the other side of the coin, Michigan and Florida seemed to have MUCH SMARTER ADs apparently. You want to solve the problem, remove the source, and that is Eichorst. He is responsible for this mess and his paycheck should go towards fixing it.

• Fire 3

I know the buck stops at Riley, but do you feel he's at fault entirely? Stay with me here, I agree that changes need to be made, however I don't know if they need to be made at the HC level. I would sh#t can the DC and OC. I would bring in Scott Frost and make him the highest paid OC out there and asst. HC. Then let Riley and Frost know that it's a 3-4 yr window and Frost then takes over the HC job. DC job needs to be looked at very close and get someone that can COACH UP their players.

In Riley's defense he came into an ugly situation, he doesn't have any of his type of players on the team, and half if not more of the players were "Bo Guys" which means they still had sympathy towards Bo and it was going to have to be one hell of a sale to get those players to buy into the new coach as well as the new system.. Give it 2 more years and those old school " Bo Guys" will be gone and Riley will have his type of guys in there, that also will be Frost guys when Frost takes over. And then make me the AD to get this all done.

It seems that D1 is eating itself. You can play musical coaches if you want to, and it might make some limited differences for individual teams, but overall it does the sport little good - in fact, it harms it. The message being sent is that money talks, cheating is required, and win-at-all-costs. All this for a sport that costs most schools - i.e. their students - money to participate in in the first place.

College football had better clean up its act or it will become easy for more of the public to abandon it. It will become more common for parents to steer their kids away from the sport, starving it of athletes. Once in that spiral, it would be hard pulling out. The coaching carousel definitely plays into that negative public perception.

As for Riley & the team. Yes, we are not good, and yes the season has been abysmal. But it is the first one under this staff. Give it another year.

It seems that D1 is eating itself. You can play musical coaches if you want to, and it might make some limited differences for individual teams, but overall it does the sport little good - in fact, it harms it. The message being sent is that money talks, cheating is required, and win-at-all-costs. All this for a sport that costs most schools - i.e. their students - money to participate in in the first place.

College football had better clean up its act or it will become easy for more of the public to abandon it. It will become more common for parents to steer their kids away from the sport, starving it of athletes. Once in that spiral, it would be hard pulling out. The coaching carousel definitely plays into that negative public perception.

As for Riley & the team. Yes, we are not good, and yes the season has been abysmal. But it is the first one under this staff. Give it another year.

Good points. I was very close to stop being a fan of CFB after the PSU scandal and questioned whether it had become too sleazy of an enterprise to continue to support. CFB has become a lot about getting the smartest coaches, recruiting the best players and less about the things that I liked such as players playing for school pride, traditions...etc.

• Fire 1

We might be able to pick up Frost cheap, as Oregon is getting tired of his too cute, pass-happy, refuse-to-run-the-ball antics.

TEMPE, Ariz. -- On Thursday, after Oregon's 61-55 triple-overtime victory over Arizona State, the Ducks players ran up the tunnel at Sun Devil Stadium screaming, "We out!"

But we all know better.

Not just out -- bailed out.

Namely, Ducks offensive coordinator Scott Frost, who demonstrated he can successfully draw up plays featuring 11 players, but can't figure out who his best two are.

Also, the UO defense, which couldn't tackle a lick.

Oregon won the game. The Ducks are 5-3. Vernon Adams deserves all the credit he can carry. I suppose you cling to things such as that and get on the plane after a three-overtime victory. But without Adams scrambling around, ducking under defenders, spinning out of peril, heaving up desperation passes, Frost is a bum today and the defense probably deserves to walk home.

Reverse pass in a critical short-yardage situation? Bralon Addison in the wildcat formation on that cute triple-overtime two-point conversion attempt? Running back Royce Freeman ignored for long stretches?

Two ASU running backs with more than 100 rushing yards? A total of 742 yards in offense for the Sun Devils? Arizona State players running wild down field all night?

I know. I know. The game was a roller derby. There were weird officiating calls and missed field goals, too. The Ducks showed up with a series of giant white curtains on the sideline, presumably obsessing over the possibility of ASU's coaching staff stealing their signals. This game was paranoia wrapped in panic surrounded by sloppiness all over. But in the end, what was most puzzling on Thursday was Frost's play-calling performance and the lack of tackling by the Ducks defense. These things can't continue if Oregon is serious about having a respectable finish to an already disappointing season.

Frost is a smart guy. He knows football. But he looked a lot like a coach who was trying to disprove that on Thursday. And the defense, for all its youth, got a shake-and-bake clinic led, in part, by ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici (58 rushing yards).

All that, bailed out in the end.

"We had him dead to rights in backfield," ASU coach Todd Graham said of the Ducks quarterback. "He scrambles around, bounces off of us, throws up a prayer."

This week, Frost bristled at the pointed criticism the Ducks have taken this season. They've lost edge. They've failed to execute. They showed up to the stadium with three losses, after all. You forgive him, sort of, because you realize the criticism really didn't come when the Ducks were winning 10-plus games over the last seven seasons.

The coaching staff got a wide berth. One that narrows considerably when you're tripping all over, struggling to defend, unable to hide deficiencies, losing games.

This week, Frost said, "We talk to the kids all the time about not listening to the detractors, not listening to the critics. Most people that are criticizing them couldn't draw up 11 guys on a football field, where they're supposed to line up. So the people that think they know things don't."

Stop.

Right.

There.

Fans and media are going to criticize the coaching staff when the results aren't there. They're going to nitpick and question and wonder aloud. The games are played in public, where we can all see them. When a football coach hears an increase in criticism he ought to comfort himself with the long lines of zeroes on his paycheck.

That's how the job works, bub.

Of course, there was former Ducks coach Rich Brooks on Twitter at halftime with, "You have to be kidding that Freeman got the ball for the 5th time on the last carry of the half." Also, there was a Tweet from former Ducks running back LaMichael James, who added, "Give the ball to 21."

That No. 21 -- Freeman -- finished with only 15 carries in a triple-overtime game. That he had 112 yards and two touchdowns only amplifies the absurdity of the play calling on a critical short yardage situation near the end of regulation or with Addison with the game in his hands.

"We went into that game with more tricks, gadgets, wrinkles than we've had in a long time," said Frost, "with the understanding we might need them and hoping we wouldn't run out of them -- and we still ran out of them."

Frost was fortunate.

Fortunate to win a game in which his offense converted 3 of 14 third-down attempts. Fortunate that ASU's special teams were a dumpster fire on top of a train wreck. Fortunate most of all that Adams was there to smooth out some indefensible play calling.

I loved that Oregon didn't quit. I appreciate that the defense made a play when it needed to make a play. And there's nothing more exciting than Adams running for his life with the game hanging in the balance.

But it felt on Thursday like the Ducks were in their own way, too. Stanford won't be as forgiving. Nor will USC. Probably not Cal, either.

I write this knowing that it may sound harsh. But Oregon is fighting enough this season without having to overcome itself.

-- @JohnCanzanoBFT

Good points. I was very close to stop being a fan of CFB after the PSU scandal and questioned whether it had become too sleazy of an enterprise to continue to support. CFB has become a lot about getting the smartest coaches, recruiting the best players and less about the things that I liked such as players playing for school pride, traditions...etc.

I don't think you are alone in questioning it. While there currently is big money behind it, public perception will be what carries it forward, or not. I don't think the latter is at all guaranteed. Big money won't be there forever if the public is not - it simply is not sustainable. As for me, I'll still be here as an NU fan - I always have been - but the mentality that has seemed to grip CFB does give me pause.

And GOAT lover is #2.

Which is exactly what I said before the season, and yet people were saying, "He's not going anywhere, he's loved in Georgia, blah blah blah"

Now he's lost a few games and all of a sudden "he can't coach"

Um, newsflash: he can't coach. It's not like this is his first year he's lost a few games. He does it all the time. Over the past five or six years, he on average loses four games a year despite having a team where over 80% of his recruiting classes are ranked in the top 10.

I highly doubt his seat is hot at all unless Georgia fires and hires a new AD. I read an article where the Georgia AD stated that Richt's job was for the most part safe because he didn't want the Georgia program to endure things like we've seen here at Nebraska. There were other programs mentioned like Michigan when they forced Carr out and Tennessee when they forced Fulmer out. Georgia's AD believes Richt wins enough games to keep around. The seat isn't hot at all.