Perlman Backs Eichorst, Riley

Mavric

Oh, how I miss the days when Bo's most fervent supporters found themselves struggling to come to grips with his disgraceful behavior as one of UNL's designated leaders of its student-athletes.

"That doesn't offend me! I'm a man! I'm not fragile. Let me tell you about how not fragile and not offended I am."

*Some* of those same folks are the same ones who have been pretty bent out of shape over emails or text messages. Anyway, good to see it hasn't gone away. Pine for the old all you like ;)

• Fire 1

2022 is when we will make our money.??? Not sure, but read that somewhere...I think. Great plan wasn't it!

This move is forcing the hands of the power players with in the program and outside (boosters) to make a decision now.

This is Perls way to really making some feel uncomfortable and if we are even thinking about changing, were paying for it once again.

I think there is obvious pressure to make a move, and this is Perls way of avoiding firing anyone. This might be his end of tenure as well.

Boosters need to show the money, or pull all of the money and support.

Pretty sure it is 2017.

BS. Why do you want a few rich people holding an entire University hostage with their money? Boosters should NEVER run the program, I don't care how rich they are.

I understand your point but I have traditionally given money as well and I will not this year. I think giving a donation to any institution is a way of saying you support what they are doing. And I certainly would not fault anyone who decides that they do not want to help prop up the current administration.

I completely understand this.

What I am talking about is boosters essentially holding the University hostage, "change/do this/that to make me happy or I won't donate". I just don't agree with that sense of entitlement. If you don't like how things are going, simply stop giving money. Hope that made sense. :)

Yeah I do. Unfortunately you need those people in modern college football. The BIG booster/University relationship is bizzare. At the end of the day most of the big money guys do it to stroke their own ego. Pure altruism is pretty rare in the booster world I would suspect. These are people who expect access and clout for their contributions.

The university admin probably hates this but they also know they need the resources these people provide. So they have to play along to an extent. Its a weird dynamic. But honestly you cant just tell them to f#*k off

I don't follow.

It's not about just "not acting like Bo". It's about a culture of positivity that is everything about who Riley is and what he brings to the table. You're right, it's much, much easier to appreciate when it comes with wins. It doesn't mean it's lacking without them.

How about the absolute blitz of a campaign that 'Nebraska is an amazing place with amazing support for coaches and students alike. Come here'?

How about 'We understand that fans will get angry when things don't go well. Caring is what makes this place great. I wish we would do better for everyone'?

How about not having a finger-pointing culture where the fans, the media, bloggers in basements, the former Huskers are wronging the team? How about the leadership shown in the face of adversity and poor results?

How about Jack Gangwish? Not that this wasn't Gangwish anyway, but as a team captain he's going above and beyond to be everything the coaches preach, especially for a guy in his position. He's showing his teammates, by example, how it's done. Last year was a much better year in the W/L column, and the entire team from the coaches (and, unsurprisingly, down to the players) conducted themselves far worse in reaction.

How can all of this a) not be appreciated, and b) not be considered a pretty significant undertaking? It isn't merely about not being an embarrassment. Putting a culture like this in place takes active effort -- especially when the chips are down, as they are now -- and a lot of intent about it.

The Armstrong thing is so overblown. McKewon was extremely passionate about this point and made a big deal in his podcast that week about how it was clear that something was communicated to Riley about how it came off, and he came in Monday emphatically addressing it. But he lost the game, so fans will still try to think of a way to consider the guy who told Tommy that Monday, "You hear what I said? If they ask about the play, it's my fault. It's my fault" as some guy who throws his players under the bus.

There's a reason that people (media types, former Huskers coaches, HS coaches, parents of HS recruits) rally around Riley in such a positive way. He's the kind of guy who inspires it, and that can't be taken for granted. No, he's not the only guy who could. But we can appreciate that he's exceptional in the area of being "one of the good guys in football coaching".

In summary, you're right about the wins. Winning cures all, it affects perceptions. That's all fine; people can feel however they wish. Hopefully, this explains where I'm coming from.

*Of course, I'd still prefer wins.

I don't live in Lincoln, so I don't know about this advertising blitz. Is this the Visit Nebraska. Visit Nice. campaign? Don't think much of that, not that I blame Riley for it. But if there's another good blitz going on, I doubt he really had anything to do with that either.

He handles himself well in press conferences, that's for sure. But I don't think it's a good sign when your honeymoon period is over so quickly. I'm not really clear what leadership he's shown in adversity, just that 1000 yard stare.

Yeah, Jack Gangwish, but also Alex Lewis? Bo had his strong leaders too. Burkhead for sure. Abdullah. How about Suh? He's such a hated monster in the NFL now, but he seemed like a great guy under Bo.

Glad you're happy about some of the things Riley has done beyond his W-L record. I want him to work out here, and maybe he still will, but it's not looking good from my view. I'm afraid nothing you said has convinced me.

• Fire 1

Oh, how I miss the days when Bo's most fervent supporters found themselves struggling to come to grips with his disgraceful behavior as one of UNL's designated leaders of its student-athletes."That doesn't offend me! I'm a man! I'm not fragile. Let me tell you about how not fragile and not offended I am."*Some* of those same folks are the same ones who have been pretty bent out of shape over emails or text messages. Anyway, good to see it hasn't gone away. Pine for the old all you like ;)

Is it okay for us to hate both?

Why must we choose a foul-mouthed megalomaniac who goes 9-3 or a likable Mr. Rogers-type who goes 3-9? You'll note that both are stubborn mules with regards to schemes and assistants, and it's killing us. Why can't we try to find a coach with a good temperament, a winning record, and who chooses schemes, assistants, and players on merit and not bias?

• Fire 4

Oh, how I miss the days when Bo's most fervent supporters found themselves struggling to come to grips with his disgraceful behavior as one of UNL's designated leaders of its student-athletes."That doesn't offend me! I'm a man! I'm not fragile. Let me tell you about how not fragile and not offended I am."*Some* of those same folks are the same ones who have been pretty bent out of shape over emails or text messages. Anyway, good to see it hasn't gone away. Pine for the old all you like ;)

Is it okay for us to hate both?

Why must we choose a foul-mouthed megalomaniac who goes 9-3 or a likable Mr. Rogers-type who goes 3-9? You'll note that both are stubborn mules with regards to schemes and assistants, and it's killing us. Why can't we try to find a coach with a good temperament, a winning record, and who chooses schemes, assistants, and players on merit and not bias?

Amen brother

A Michigan columnist says Nebraska football should imitate its old self - or pony up.

Huskers might not be able to relive the 1990s, but they should try

Twenty years ago, Nebraska stormed into Spartan Stadium and whipped Nick Saban and Mark Dantonio. Then steamrolled the rest of its schedule, including second-ranked Florida, 62-24, in the Fiesta Bowl for the national championship.

The greatest college football team I have ever seen outscored its opponents by an average of 53.2 to 14.5 in 1995. And the Huskers’ starting quarterback, Tommie Frazier, completed fewer than eight passes per game.
Two decades later, Nebraska is 3-6, albeit amid a snake-bitten season, and looks like every other middling program in college football — on its fourth head coach since Tom Osborne stepped down in 1997 after winning his last national title, running its third offense since it abandoned the option when it fired Osborne’s successor and former assistant, Frank Solich, in 2003.

Link

• Fire 1

Harvey Perlman appears in a Tonight Show Spoof. Good grief... he makes some jokes at the football team. This guy wants to destroy everything about Nebraska football.

Harvey Perlman has no sense of humor and has conspired from day one to destroy Husker football.

FACT.

In all seriousness, I actually thought it was pretty funny he took a shot at the football team given he's one of the people a lot of people don't like in regards to the program. He even took a shot at himself.

It was comical to say the least but the cheap shot at the football team ruined it for me. I thought that was a little unnecessary. It just goes to show how little he continues to not care about the football program that made the university what it is today.

I got a degree from the University of Nebraska in 1981. Wherever I go in the business world, that University of Nebraska diploma means nothing. Perhaps worse than nothing. At best, someone mentions the football team, as if that's our solitary reference point. While the football team was running with authority at the time under Tom Osborne, the broadcasting department was using 20 year old silent film cameras because they couldn't afford video cameras, the equipment graduates would be expected to use in the real world.

I was obsessed with Nebraska football as a kid, and still care about it way too much today.

But if the University of Nebraska Chancellor doesn't consider the football coach his #1 priority, I'm good with that.

I got a degree from the University of Nebraska in 1981. Wherever I go in the business world, that University of Nebraska diploma means nothing. Perhaps worse than nothing. At best, someone mentions the football team, as if that's our solitary reference point. While the football team was running with authority at the time under Tom Osborne, the broadcasting department was using 20 year old silent film cameras because they couldn't afford video cameras, the equipment graduates would be expected to use in the real world.

I was obsessed with Nebraska football as a kid, and still care about it way too much today.

But if the University of Nebraska Chancellor doesn't consider the football coach his #1 priority, I'm good with that.

Thing is, by his own words,during the Callahan search, he did.

In all seriousness, I actually thought it was pretty funny he took a shot at the football team given he's one of the people a lot of people don't like in regards to the program. He even took a shot at himself.

It was comical to say the least but the cheap shot at the football team ruined it for me. I thought that was a little unnecessary. It just goes to show how little he continues to not care about the football program that made the university what it is today.

That's fair. Perhaps, however, that's why I actually liked it. Dude is just giving no F's. I like a little anarchy sometimes, even if it pisses off the fan base I'm a part of.