Perlman Backs Eichorst, Riley

Mavric

The next chancellor has to deal with the this cold hard fact: It is more important to make the football playoffs and dominate in other Big Ten sports, than to excel in academics, research, and getting back into the AAU. The play calling on offense will always be a serious topic of discussion rather than the development of a better herbicide. Perlman and Eichorst don't realize this. Trev Alberts does.

• Fire 2

The next chancellor has to deal with the this cold hard fact: It is more important to make the football playoffs and dominate in other Big Ten sports, than to excel in academics, research, and getting back into the AAU. The play calling on offense will always be a serious topic of discussion rather than the development of a better herbicide. Perlman and Eichorst don't realize this. Trev Alberts does.

Eh, I think the Nebraska AD can remain as mediocre as he wants in the other sports.

Football. Football. Football.

• Fire 1

The problem I have with HP and SE (and Pederson before SE), is that they are agenda driven and backhanded.

I have no doubt that Eichorst hated seeing NU beat Iowa in 2013, which is exactly how Pederson reacted to Solich beating Colorado in '03.

No man of integrity would secretly (or not so secretly) wish for players in his department to fail so that his pre-conceived agenda could be more easily executed.

That displays such an utter lack of integrity and courage that I think it should be a firable offense from a position such as AD.

Their discussion of "winning the right way" is all just lip service. They should have been concentrating on leading the right way.

A couple niggles:

Eichorst probably hated seeing Nebraska LOSE to Iowa in 2013, a 38 - 17 humiliation at Memorial Stadium to an unranked, unremarkable Iowa team in the last game of the regular season. Some might remember Bo using profanity while daring Eichorst to fire him after that game. Instead Eichorst gave him a contract extension that March, and perhaps a million dollars more in recruiting upgrades for the 2014 season.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/is-nebraska-football-spending-enough-money-on-recruiting/article_8036adb4-ab0f-11e4-89cc-773fc56c561f.html

You have no idea how Eichorst felt in 2014, watching Nebraska come back from 24-7 down in the third quarter to defeat an unranked, unremarkable Iowa in overtime in the last game of the regular season. You might have a better idea how Nebraska fans felt. Many considered the Wisconsin debacle the last straw, and the failure to beat Minnesota the next week the icing on the last straw. If Shawn Eichorst had a secret agenda of giving Bo Pelini another season to prove himself, and believed that Pelini had failed in that regard before the Iowa game, it was shared in public by an awful lot of Nebraska fans. Dip back in the Huskerboard archives if you'd like.

• We have a much better idea how Bo Pelini felt, because he was really honest in expressing his feelings. He blamed the Wisconsin loss on the fans.

You're accusing Shawn Eichorst of wishing for the players to fail, to match a private agenda that was shared by a lot of Husker fans regarding a coach who told the fans, the school and the state to go f#*k themselves three years earlier. Because Bo Pelini didn't want to be here. And yet he demanded loyalty.

Not sure you're my go-to guy on matters of integrity, CM Husker.

Are you that unaware of the irony (the bolded) you just posted? Gawd, I can't believe the lack of self awareness of some posters.

I've read many examples of posters, and not just here, stating, no, speculating, that Pelini would never get over the 9 win hump, yet they will in the same post state that Riley needs time so he can get his system and then he will turn it around, and win championships, I suppose? Never mind that the guy is a career .500 guy. When backed into a corner, because gawd knows, they don't have facts, they resort to bashing the former HC, or worse, the players.

Welcome to 2004-2007 all over again. Thanks pencil neck!

Self-awareness? Yeah. I'm pretty solid on self-awareness. Not so much on what people I don't know are secretly thinking.

You need to slow down, chief. My post started off by addressing CM's boldfaced error in mistaking 2013 for 2014, one year a humiliating loss to Iowa, the other an ultimately meaningless win, and a significant difference in timelines, facts and motivation. That's why I was pretty comfortable stacking up my "probably" to CM's "no doubt."

If you want to argue a specific point I brought up in my post, I"m all ears. If you just want to rage at administrators for destroying all that is football, I got that.

I'm not attacking the players. But I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and watch Bo Pelini get rehabilitated because the fanbase is freaking out.

• Fire 1

The regents will block any extension.

When it comes down to good ol Harv dog, all you have to remember is he pretty much worked up the contact to join the B1G.

Did you know Nebraska makes 10 million LESS than all other members in revenue sharing.a

Until 2017, yes. When we hit 2017 then Nebraska starts getting a full share. Incidentally, both Rutgers and Maryland are not getting full shares yet either. How 'bout them apples?

2022 is when we will make our money.??? Not sure, but read that somewhere...I think. Great plan wasn't it!

This move is forcing the hands of the power players with in the program and outside (boosters) to make a decision now.

This is Perls way to really making some feel uncomfortable and if we are even thinking about changing, were paying for it once again.

I think there is obvious pressure to make a move, and this is Perls way of avoiding firing anyone. This might be his end of tenure as well.

Boosters need to show the money, or pull all of the money and support.

Pretty sure it is 2017.

BS. Why do you want a few rich people holding an entire University hostage with their money? Boosters should NEVER run the program, I don't care how rich they are.

2022 is when we will make our money.??? Not sure, but read that somewhere...I think. Great plan wasn't it!

This move is forcing the hands of the power players with in the program and outside (boosters) to make a decision now.

This is Perls way to really making some feel uncomfortable and if we are even thinking about changing, were paying for it once again.

I think there is obvious pressure to make a move, and this is Perls way of avoiding firing anyone. This might be his end of tenure as well.

Boosters need to show the money, or pull all of the money and support.

Pretty sure it is 2017.

BS. Why do you want a few rich people holding an entire University hostage with their money? Boosters should NEVER run the program, I don't care how rich they are.

I understand your point but I have traditionally given money as well and I will not this year. I think giving a donation to any institution is a way of saying you support what they are doing. And I certainly would not fault anyone who decides that they do not want to help prop up the current administration.

• Fire 1

I love the phrase Regent Hal Daub used though, that he's "Patiently unhappy." The regents not exactly invoking confidence, and Hank Bounds not commenting I think is very telling.

Also just looking back at the hiring of Eichorst, I came across a couple articles

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Harvey-Perlman-talks-about-hiring-Shawn-Eichorst-at-Nebraska-94210

"His response was, 'If the coaches and the student athletes have been successful, then nobody knows my name, it would be a success,'" Perlman said. "The athletic department is all about the success of coaches and student athletes."

Considering Eichorst is talked about just as much as Riley has been lately, I would consider his performance, "Not a success" judging by his own standards. Yet, Perlman who's a lameduck chancellor is suddenly going to hand this guy a contract extension?

And then there's this one http://www.cornnation.com/2012/10/4/3456448/notes-from-harvey-perlmans-press-conference-on-the-hiring-of-shawn

Perlman only interviewed two candidates for the position, as Eichorst was one of them.

While Perlman did not disclose the other candidate, it was made clear to the press that there were no internal candidates interviewed for the position. This means that Jamie Williams, hired specifically by Osborne in June to seemingly be the AD in waiting after his run at the Academy of Art Institute in San Francisco. Paul Meyers, a important fund raiser to Nebraska Athletics, also did not receive an interview.

I know people are well aware, but this is just further proof how much of a snake Perlman is. Not even interviewing an internal candidate? You don't even have to hire them, just do a courtesy interview. Man I can't wait till he's gone in 2016

I've been given "courtesy interviews" and frankly, I'd rather not get interviewed if they know I have no chance of getting the position. In fact, I've felt pretty insulted every single time.
how do you know that it was a courtesy interview?

If you don't think that money and boosters run athletic programs, check yourself. Schools (programs) depend of booster money to fund fancy facilities, dining rooms, football player housing dorms, airplanes for recruiting......etc.

Who do you think made the call to fire Solich? Sure Pederson, did it, but money talks.

Who was calling for Stoops job last year? Sure was the AD and school, it was oil money and boosters. Boone Pickens calls the shots at Okie ST......

This is the way I see many fans reacting to all of support being put out within our Nebraska Athletic department.

It's kind of a: "But I don't want to listen to any of this, I just want people fired"

2247352_o.gif#temper%20tantrum%20gifs

That's not true. At least not for me.

I dispise the inconsistency shown by Ickyhorst in his support for Pilini vs Riley. It's the same show all over again when one looks back at 2004 - 2007.

I don't want Ickyhorst to fire Riley, because I don't want him to make another bad hire.

Under pencil neck, the trend is that Nebraska doesn't want to pay for an upgrade for HC. And Nebraska will have to pay big bucks to get an upgrade over Pelini. Or get lucky.

If only you could actually spell their names right, instead of being a child throwing a tantrum by calling respected leaders names. Some folks might listen to you.

Seriously, are we in grade school here? It's really hard to take someone seriously, or to even read their posts, when they're throwing around childish nicknames.

• Fire 5

The problem I have with HP and SE (and Pederson before SE), is that they are agenda driven and backhanded.

I have no doubt that Eichorst hated seeing NU beat Iowa in 2013, which is exactly how Pederson reacted to Solich beating Colorado in '03.

No man of integrity would secretly (or not so secretly) wish for players in his department to fail so that his pre-conceived agenda could be more easily executed.

That displays such an utter lack of integrity and courage that I think it should be a firable offense from a position such as AD.

Their discussion of "winning the right way" is all just lip service. They should have been concentrating on leading the right way.

A couple niggles:

• Eichorst probably hated seeing Nebraska LOSE to Iowa in 2013, a 38 - 17 humiliation at Memorial Stadium to an unranked, unremarkable Iowa team in the last game of the regular season. Some might remember Bo using profanity while daring Eichorst to fire him after that game. Instead Eichorst gave him a contract extension that March, and perhaps a million dollars more in recruiting upgrades for the 2014 season.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/is-nebraska-football-spending-enough-money-on-recruiting/article_8036adb4-ab0f-11e4-89cc-773fc56c561f.html

• You have no idea how Eichorst felt in 2014, watching Nebraska come back from 24-7 down in the third quarter to defeat an unranked, unremarkable Iowa in overtime in the last game of the regular season. You might have a better idea how Nebraska fans felt. Many considered the Wisconsin debacle the last straw, and the failure to beat Minnesota the next week the icing on the last straw. If Shawn Eichorst had a secret agenda of giving Bo Pelini another season to prove himself, and believed that Pelini had failed in that regard before the Iowa game, it was shared in public by an awful lot of Nebraska fans. Dip back in the Huskerboard archives if you'd like.

• We have a much better idea how Bo Pelini felt, because he was really honest in expressing his feelings. He blamed the Wisconsin loss on the fans.

You're accusing Shawn Eichorst of wishing for the players to fail, to match a private agenda that was shared by a lot of Husker fans regarding a coach who told the fans, the school and the state to go f#*k themselves three years earlier. Because Bo Pelini didn't want to be here. And yet he demanded loyalty.

A couple niggles:

• Eichorst probably hated seeing Nebraska LOSE to Iowa in 2013, a 38 - 17 humiliation at Memorial Stadium to an unranked, unremarkable Iowa team in the last game of the regular season. Some might remember Bo using profanity while daring Eichorst to fire him after that game. Instead Eichorst gave him a contract extension that March, and perhaps a million dollars more in recruiting upgrades for the 2014 season.

• You have no idea how Eichorst felt in 2014, watching Nebraska come back from 24-7 down in the third quarter to defeat an unranked, unremarkable Iowa in overtime in the last game of the regular season. You might have a better idea how Nebraska fans felt. Many considered the Wisconsin debacle the last straw, and the failure to beat Minnesota the next week the icing on the last straw. If Shawn Eichorst had a secret agenda of giving Bo Pelini another season to prove himself, and believed that Pelini had failed in that regard before the Iowa game, it was shared in public by an awful lot of Nebraska fans. Dip back in the Huskerboard archives if you'd like.

Don't really care who your go-to is on matters of integrity, but if you think that Eichorst and Perlman possess an ounce of it, they have a bridge to sell you.

Thanks for the correction on 2014 versus 2013. Sorry for the typo, but clearly you know what I meant.

I don't blame Bo for being pissed of at the lack of support he received from Perlman and his henchman. I would have been pissed, too. Now you hear tell of Eichy and Perly having daily contact, and you know they were setting up that staff for failure. Just like Peterson did back in '03.

The parallels are uncanny. The imputus is the same. Perlman. He better get zero in the way of honors and accolades on his way out the door.

I'm not concerned in the least about Riley dealing with 'distractions'.

Banker, is that you?! Why don't you get off this board and go get ready for MSU who are planning to rip you a new discharge hole. Wouldn't that be a better use of all the money you are robbing from Nebraska for watching college football from the best seats in the house.

I really hope this was with facetious intent. Seems a number agree with the sentiment though and that is appalling. A university president's most important objective is winning football games? Yikes.