Perlman Backs Eichorst, Riley

Mavric

The problem I have with HP and SE (and Pederson before SE), is that they are agenda driven and backhanded.

I have no doubt that Eichorst hated seeing NU beat Iowa in 2013, which is exactly how Pederson reacted to Solich beating Colorado in '03.

No man of integrity would secretly (or not so secretly) wish for players in his department to fail so that his pre-conceived agenda could be more easily executed.

That displays such an utter lack of integrity and courage that I think it should be a firable offense from a position such as AD.

Their discussion of "winning the right way" is all just lip service. They should have been concentrating on leading the right way.

And yet we have a sizable portion of a fan base wishing to see Nebraska lose so that firing Riley would seem more likely/plausible.

Yes, those who live in glass houses do indeed throw stones.

How can you say that? Every fan wanted this team to exceed expectations. Everyone knew there would be some rough spots but not on the level of what we have right now. I want the team to win as much as anyone else but I'm a realist. When I see a problem, I identify it for what it truly is. The biggest problem we face are the lawmakers in charge who push pencils for a living and lack good judgement. The fact that everything up to this point can be compared to 2004-2007 should be enough for any fan to tremble. Last week's game told us the same story all year long -- this staff is not championship caliber and the nuclear option is the only way out.

And your perception of a problem is just that: a perception. There's no way to tell if it's actually Perlman/Eichorst who are really plaguing the program.

There are people on here who want to see Nebraska finish 3-9, ergo watching the players lose the rest of their games this year, just for the hope that Mike Riley and the coaching staff will be handed their walking papers. They'll say, "I want Nebraska to win, but if losing out means that Mike Riley will get fired, then I'm okay with that." If that isn't pushing a personal agenda, and if that isn't exactly what people think Perlman/Eichorst are doing, then I don't know what is.

We should just hope for Nebraska to win. Actively rooting for Nebraska to win means actively rooting to see the players, coaches, administration, students, other fans, etc..., win. I just don't get rooting against Nebraska, period.

It might be a perception but it's shared with quite a bit of people. You and I both know that those people outnumber the sunshine pumpers. I'm not OK with having a losing record. Do I want this team to succeed? Yes! But I don't see anything at this point of the season that leads me to believe that they will succeed. This is why I've been outspoken on the staff, the athletic administration, the people above Mike Riley. This just kept building week after week and it didn't culminate until the loss to Purdue. I want to be wrong on this more than most. I'm going to be rooting for Nebraska to win this Saturday for the player's sake.

The problem I have with HP and SE (and Pederson before SE), is that they are agenda driven and backhanded.

I have no doubt that Eichorst hated seeing NU beat Iowa in 2013, which is exactly how Pederson reacted to Solich beating Colorado in '03.

No man of integrity would secretly (or not so secretly) wish for players in his department to fail so that his pre-conceived agenda could be more easily executed.

That displays such an utter lack of integrity and courage that I think it should be a firable offense from a position such as AD.

Their discussion of "winning the right way" is all just lip service. They should have been concentrating on leading the right way.

And yet we have a sizable portion of a fan base wishing to see Nebraska lose so that firing Riley would seem more likely/plausible.

How can you say that? Every fan wanted this team to exceed expectations. Everyone knew there would be some rough spots but not on the level of what we have right now. I want the team to win as much as anyone else but I'm a realist. When I see a problem, I identify it for what it truly is. The biggest problem we face are the lawmakers in charge who push pencils for a living and lack good judgement. The fact that everything up to this point can be compared to 2004-2007 should be enough for any fan to tremble. Last week's game told us the same story all year long -- this staff is not championship caliber and the nuclear option is the only way out.

And your perception of a problem is just that: a perception. There's no way to tell if it's actually Perlman/Eichorst who are really plaguing the program.

There are people on here who want to see Nebraska finish 3-9, ergo watching the players lose the rest of their games this year, just for the hope that Mike Riley and the coaching staff will be handed their walking papers. They'll say, "I want Nebraska to win, but if losing out means that Mike Riley will get fired, then I'm okay with that." If that isn't pushing a personal agenda, and if that isn't exactly what people think Perlman/Eichorst are doing, then I don't know what is.

We should just hope for Nebraska to win. Actively rooting for Nebraska to win means actively rooting to see the players, coaches, administration, students, other fans, etc..., win. I just don't get rooting against Nebraska, period.

Who is rooting for Nebraska to lose? Name some names.

A UNL alumi writes an open letter to AD Shawn Eichorst.

Dear Mr. Eichorst,

I read your letter to Nebraska fans this week; and while you appear to have good intentions for the team, its fans, and the university, it is clear to me you don’t fully understand what it means to be a Husker.
Huskers are hard-working, loyal people who have and will go to the ends of the Earth to support their team. From the lows of losses to Miami, Oklahoma, and (most recently) Purdue, to the highs of three National Championships in five years, we all stick together through all kinds of weather for dear old Nebraska U.

We honor and appreciate loyalty and honesty. That’s why Tom Osborne is a legendary figure in our state. That’s why so many people loved Frank Solich and why there is a statue of Brook Berringer outside Memorial Stadium. That’s why so many believe in Mike Riley and why they believed in you.

Link

• Fire 1

A university president's most important objective is winning football games? Yikes.

It does sound silly, but the answer may actually be in the affirmative. One of the things found when UAB canceled its program was that despite losing money as a program, which was why it was canceled, it actually gained money for the university (which is why it is being reinstated). It wasn't costing as much as they thought.

Studies done a decade ago show millions in economic output to both the city of Lincoln and state, an estimated 110+ million at that time to the city alone from Husker athletics, mostly from the football program. Another most recent study showed the program's value to be over 500 million, as a top 10 program (Ohio St was over 1 billion.)

To the university itself, I quote one study:

For FBS schools, our results reveal that winning football games increases alumni athletic donations, enhances a schools academic reputation, increases the number of applicants and in-state students, reduces acceptance rates, and raises average incoming SAT scores. The estimates imply that large increases in team performance can have economically significant effects, particularly in the area of athletic donations.

Furthermore, this program in particular has an enormous cultural impact to the state. It is the state's unique identifier, in a way that perhaps no other program in no other state can say. It's certainly harder to quantify something like culture, though.

Listening to the Husker Online podcast last night while working out, and they were not exactly thrilled with Harvey and Shawn. It's not like they're wanting Bo back either. These guys have made it known that they saw alot of shortcomings under Bo, and haven't shied away from blaming relevant issues on him either, all while doing alot of praising of Riley and Co during the offseason for how they handled things. They didn't even discuss the current product on the field in relation to the AD and Chancellor either, they were just appalled at the lack of professionalism and timing displayed by the two had guys. Sean Callahan said that Harvey doing a OWH interview where he was discussing recruiting and trashing the former coaches was bizarre and extremely ill-timed. His comment was something along the lines of Harvey knowing less about recruiting than any coach or assistant on the staff, ever. They also took Eichorst to task for his complete 180 on "commenting during the season" and the weirdness of releasing the statement of support right before Riley went on for his PC on Monday.

• Fire 1

The regents will block any extension.

When it comes down to good ol Harv dog, all you have to remember is he pretty much worked up the contact to join the B1G.

Did you know Nebraska makes 10 million LESS than all other members in revenue sharing.a

Doesn't the B1G money come into effect in like 2017?

Yep, we become a full share holder in 2017 and the B1G will be re-doing it's TV contracts that year, which projects that schools could be making $45M a year.

Who is rooting for Nebraska to lose? Name some names.

I don't know the poll results (i.e., who voted for what) but 22% of people chose yes in this thread.

http://http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77075-sacrifice-2015/?mode=show

Self-awareness? Yeah. I'm pretty solid on self-awareness. Not so much on what people I don't know are secretly thinking.

You need to slow down, chief. My post started off by addressing CM's boldfaced error in mistaking 2013 for 2014, one year a humiliating loss to Iowa, the other an ultimately meaningless win, and a significant difference in timelines, facts and motivation. That's why I was pretty comfortable stacking up my "probably" to CM's "no doubt."

If you want to argue a specific point I brought up in my post, I"m all ears. If you just want to rage at administrators for destroying all that is football, I got that.

I'm not attacking the players. But I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and watch Bo Pelini get rehabilitated because the fanbase is freaking out.

No, you aren't self aware. If you were, you would have instantly recognized the irony in your post, and not repeated it in your reply!

Pelini doesn't need rehabilitation. Certain stooge administraitors presently at Nebraska, along with some of the supposed fans, most certainly do.

Bravo to HP & SE. Disagree (*or rabble) all you guys like. I'm confident too that we are going to see better days in Lincoln, and thankful for the folks working to get us there.

You're being sarcastic, right? You don't honestly approve of the way Perlman and Riley have done their jobs this season?

I'm totally serious. I don't mind -- and understand -- that a lot of people will disagree. This is Nebraska, and this has been a terrible season. A lot of fans are going to want everybody fired.

Bo's a good guy, I'm sure, and all appeared fine for a while. The way he responded to the heat was completely disgraceful. Riley isn't the only guy in the world who could have taken the task of undoing Bo's legacy, but it's hard to imagine someone who's better at it. Now, he'll still have to win games, or his tenure will only be 3-4 years. I'm OK with that. It's hard to find The Next Great Coach. If Riley isn't it, we'll look again.

I don't follow. What exactly has Riley done to undo Bo's legacy? At least, what has he done that anyone who doesn't scream at players and refs, which wouldn't have been hard to find. We didn't need the absolute anti-Bo, just someone who wouldn't swipe his hat at a ref, tell the fans to F off, and call the AD names.

The better way to undo Bo's legacy would be to win 9 games without making a public spectacle of himself with his anger. Even better would be to win more games than Bo while being an OK guy. Instead, by falling far, far short of that, Riley has some people wondering if Pelini was really so bad that we shouldn't have kept him around. We don't need a super nice guy. We need a nice enough guy who can have the team behind him and win. At the very least, don't blow games for us with poor clock management. We didn't need the nicest guy possible no matter the W-L record to undo Bo's legacy.

I still say Riley threw Armstrong under the bus by putting the blame on him for the bad pass vs. Northwestern (was that the game? I can't even keep our losses straight anymore). It would've been easy to deflect that by admitting that he should've called a time out to make sure everyone was on the same page, or call a play that wouldn't cause confusion about whether there was a pass option or not.

You want to undo Bo's legacy? Have a coach that doesn't act like him AND wins enough games so that nobody misses Bo and we soon forget about him.

• Fire 1

I don't follow.

It's not about just "not acting like Bo". It's about a culture of positivity that is everything about who Riley is and what he brings to the table. You're right, it's much, much easier to appreciate when it comes with wins. It doesn't mean it's lacking without them.

How about the absolute blitz of a campaign that 'Nebraska is an amazing place with amazing support for coaches and students alike. Come here'?

How about 'We understand that fans will get angry when things don't go well. Caring is what makes this place great. I wish we would do better for everyone'?

How about not having a finger-pointing culture where the fans, the media, bloggers in basements, the former Huskers are wronging the team? How about the leadership shown in the face of adversity and poor results?

How about Jack Gangwish? Not that this wasn't Gangwish anyway, but as a team captain he's going above and beyond to be everything the coaches preach, especially for a guy in his position. He's showing his teammates, by example, how it's done. Last year was a much better year in the W/L column, and the entire team from the coaches (and, unsurprisingly, down to the players) conducted themselves far worse in reaction.

How can all of this a) not be appreciated, and b) not be considered a pretty significant undertaking? It isn't merely about not being an embarrassment. Putting a culture like this in place takes active effort -- especially when the chips are down, as they are now -- and a lot of intent about it.

The Armstrong thing is so overblown. McKewon was extremely passionate about this point and made a big deal in his podcast that week about how it was clear that something was communicated to Riley about how it came off, and he came in Monday emphatically addressing it. But he lost the game, so fans will still try to think of a way to consider the guy who told Tommy that Monday, "You hear what I said? If they ask about the play, it's my fault. It's my fault" as some guy who throws his players under the bus.

There's a reason that people (media types, former Huskers coaches, HS coaches, parents of HS recruits) rally around Riley in such a positive way. He's the kind of guy who inspires it, and that can't be taken for granted. No, he's not the only guy who could. But we can appreciate that he's exceptional in the area of being "one of the good guys in football coaching".

In summary, you're right about the wins. Winning cures all, it affects perceptions. That's all fine; people can feel however they wish. Hopefully, this explains where I'm coming from.

*Of course, I'd still prefer wins.

• Fire 3

2022 is when we will make our money.??? Not sure, but read that somewhere...I think. Great plan wasn't it!

This move is forcing the hands of the power players with in the program and outside (boosters) to make a decision now.

This is Perls way to really making some feel uncomfortable and if we are even thinking about changing, were paying for it once again.

I think there is obvious pressure to make a move, and this is Perls way of avoiding firing anyone. This might be his end of tenure as well.

Boosters need to show the money, or pull all of the money and support.

Pretty sure it is 2017.

BS. Why do you want a few rich people holding an entire University hostage with their money? Boosters should NEVER run the program, I don't care how rich they are.

I understand your point but I have traditionally given money as well and I will not this year. I think giving a donation to any institution is a way of saying you support what they are doing. And I certainly would not fault anyone who decides that they do not want to help prop up the current administration.

I completely understand this.

What I am talking about is boosters essentially holding the University hostage, "change/do this/that to make me happy or I won't donate". I just don't agree with that sense of entitlement. If you don't like how things are going, simply stop giving money. Hope that made sense. :)