as of today, 10 FBS head coaching vacancies exist

KC Sker

Might as well add Texas to that list as well. Getting shut out in Ames doomed his time there.

That will open up Houston, cause thats where Herman will go. Houston is a better gig than 2/3 of those other jobs.

Its just starting. I think that KSU will be looking for a head man as well, since Snyder has stayed about 2 years to long.

That list will get longer, and it will have more Power 5 schools added to it.

Its hard to sit here and say, lets wait, its also hard to say lets fire Riley and Co. If you knew that Tom Herman would come running this way, I would go and lock him down now.

Right now were looking at Trev Alberts and Scott Frost. That is our only reasonable coaching prospect in my eyes.

Who knows if Mcelwane will work out at Florida. Muschamp did recruit some really good talent. Can he recruit better than Muschamp?

Harbaugh is just starting, and I do think that he will be beating the Buckeyes soon, causing Meyer to retire once again because of the pressure to win...........if the Buckeyes don't go one probation first.

Those are the big winners from last years big time job openings. Herman at Houston is a great hire, good gig. I think it will take a special job for him to leave right away. I think most are seeing that Houston is a good place to start out at. Sumlin sure did fine from starting there.

I've got to add this one thing. The right coach for Nebraska is likely not also the right type of coach for USC, Miami, Va Tech or S. Carolina. Culture and style of play.......maybe we'll get it right next time. I don't know what all coaches are available but, if we loosened the purse strings, and if we could find the right guy, those other supposedly 3 or 4 better jobs really shouldn't be an issue. We don't need another Air Coryell style of coach.....

• Fire 1

1. I dont think Nebraska's next head coach would also be a candidate for those other openings. USC and Miami will have their choice of coaches, and i dont think they would be the same type of coach Nebraska would be after.

2. Next year, when it will be more "acceptable" to fire Riley there will be another huge batch of openings that we will have to compete with. Texas will probably be open, a few SEC schools will probably be open. Point is, every year there are a lot of schools with openings. You can't decide to retain someone who is not a good fit because other schools are also firing their coaches.

Texas will be open this year. Texas has at least one more loss on there schedule. From what is being said, they are going to make a strong push for Herman.

I do agree that USC and Miami are jobs that won't affect Nebraska's situation. Miami is a wildcard job. The right coach, recruiter, and that job is really decent. They have more obstacles than that though. USC can become anything they want. They can be a power run team or a passing team. There recruiting power is infinite. Sleeping giant.

Nebraska has many assets to bring to the table, but stability is the most lacking one. We need to do something one way or the other. Our fanbase is getting very impatient, and the instability is going to hurt recruiting.

Herman is the head of the class in this years coaching merry go round. Afer that Fuente is next, followed by Rhule. Personally, I would take my chances on Fuente over those other two. Houston and Philly. Any decent recruiter can get some decent players to stay home.

• Fire 1

Texas will be open this year. Texas has at least one more loss on there schedule. From what is being said, they are going to make a strong push for Herman.

I do agree that USC and Miami are jobs that won't affect Nebraska's situation. Miami is a wildcard job. The right coach, recruiter, and that job is really decent. They have more obstacles than that though. USC can become anything they want. They can be a power run team or a passing team. There recruiting power is infinite. Sleeping giant.

Nebraska has many assets to bring to the table, but stability is the most lacking one. We need to do something one way or the other. Our fanbase is getting very impatient, and the instability is going to hurt recruiting.

Herman is the head of the class in this years coaching merry go round. Afer that Fuente is next, followed by Rhule. Personally, I would take my chances on Fuente over those other two. Houston and Philly. Any decent recruiter can get some decent players to stay home.

Your last paragraph there is spot on. And Herman to Texas is a great fit for him because he already has that Texas pipeline.

Fuente is impressive, as he built a nothing program into something.

However, if Riley is gone after a year (due to firing) I don't think Nebraska can even get a guy like him. Really the only person I could see willing to come into that situation is Frost. But I would be much more patient with a young Frost then an aging Riley in a rebuild mode, since apparently that is what Nebraska is in right now.

Now, if Riley is to resign at years end, maybe we are open to obtain bigger named coaches.

At Virginia Tech, did Beamer get fired or announce early retirement?

His time at V T was one of the longest of active coaches

Beamer announced early retirement. The last 3 years, 4 now, they've struggled to make bowls, but they weren't going to fire him.

And it was the longest, by 12 years. Less if you count Snyder with the gap. Next year the longest continues tenure will be Stoops and Ferentz, starting at 1999.

Watching Houston beat the breaks of Vandy, the announcers said a few things about the openings.

1) Find a coach that fits the culture

2) Find a "splash" hire

They said that Herman wasn't a "fit" for USC. Said he was a Texas or Ohio "type" guy. Meaning he would fit that culture. Said maybe Maryland would be a better fit.

People get crazy about "look at all the openings". NU can't compete with that. My a$$. Maybe, just maybe Herman doesn't want to go to USC, or Miami. Maybe Fuentes would love a shot at NU and not UM......

We won't know unless we try. You miss 100% of the pitches you don't swing on.......

If the best thing is to fire Riley, don't hold off until there is "less openings". Thats a loser mentality. You want to beat the best, go for the best.

All this hand wringng.....

• Fire 1

Listen. I realize you are of "the notion" that we should fire this head coach. I'd agree with you. I don't think he will produce results, but I'd estimate the odds of that happening are less than .1%. It just isn't going to happen.

Here is my suggestion:

1. Find a new team to cheer for. Pretty simple. Pick a team you enjoy watching, and root for them. Yay!

2. Stick it out. Bitch and moan like we are all going to, but realize that you have zero control of this program. It doesn't matter if 99% of fans agree with you, you have zero control over what happens.

Life's too short to give two sh#ts about something that you will never have a say in. I mean never. If the huskers go on to win 9 national championships in the next 10 years, nothing you say or do will have made that happen. Same goes for if we never win a game for the rest of our lives.

• Fire 1

Wow; were blessed with alot of arm chair coaches. frost ain't coming. he felt the wrath of the fans in 96 when fans boo'd him and wanted him benched. it was so bad, osborne had to come out and address the problem. osborne's exact words were; 'we have no one better then scott, so he stays at QB'. frost knows he needs a gig that allows him to learn to deal with the public. the meat grinder here, basicly sucks. fans chase off recruits and good assistant coaches.

Wow; were blessed with alot of arm chair coaches. frost ain't coming. he felt the wrath of the fans in 96 when fans boo'd him and wanted him benched. it was so bad, osborne had to come out and address the problem. osborne's exact words were; 'we have no one better then scott, so he stays at QB'. frost knows he needs a gig that allows him to learn to deal with the public. the meat grinder here, basicly sucks. fans chase off recruits and good assistant coaches.

DocRiversWaveOff.gif

• Fire 1

Firing Riley now is a bad move, as it will give pencil neck's man, Ickyhorst, another chance to make a bad hire.

Failure in football is pencil neck's legacy.

Ya, Eichorst has shown he can't be trusted with the decision.

There certainly will be a ton of completion for coaches this year. Guys that would have been good up-and-comer hires last season in Fuente and Herman I couldn't see us getting now. A guy I liked last year that I still think we could get is Doc Holliday.