as of today, 10 FBS head coaching vacancies exist

KC Sker

Firing them this year would do two things:

1) Send a message to every available coach we consider that we expect IMMEDIATE results.

2) Put ourselves in a tough spot as far as hiring a new coach goes with all the other competition from the listed programs.

1. I don't agree. I think it just sends the message we have some semblance of standards, albeit not that unreasonable. You can't take a stable program that won 9-10 games the last 7 years and proceed to have one of the worst seasons in program history. I don't think that standard is too high. No one was expecting conference championships or more in the first year. Just don't immediately take us to last in our division.

2. I agree. There is a lot of competition for a few good candidates.

Let me ask you this

What would have been the strength of this team to get us back to the 9-10 win column

Offensive line? QB Play? RB Play? Secondary Play? DE Play?

The only strengths I see on this team have been some of our WR core I didn't say all and some of our young linebackers(would really like to see webber get more snaps) and the middle of the DL

The "strengths" of this team to get to that nine or ten win plateau? Very simple......the schedule they play. While admittedly our talent is not top tier, the teams we've played have even less.

Listen. I realize you are of "the notion" that we should fire this head coach. I'd agree with you. I don't think he will produce results, but I'd estimate the odds of that happening are less than .1%. It just isn't going to happen.

Here is my suggestion:

1. Find a new team to cheer for. Pretty simple. Pick a team you enjoy watching, and root for them. Yay!

2. Stick it out. Bitch and moan like we are all going to, but realize that you have zero control of this program. It doesn't matter if 99% of fans agree with you, you have zero control over what happens.

Life's too short to give two sh#ts about something that you will never have a say in. I mean never. If the huskers go on to win 9 national championships in the next 10 years, nothing you say or do will have made that happen. Same goes for if we never win a game for the rest of our lives.

Been a fan way too long. Just don't like this being the worst season I have witnessed.

I know there are a few LSU assistants down here who are being rumored to take head coaching gigs after this season... Cam Cameron for example

It wouldn't be surprising if Orgeron is looked at for the USC opening. The players absolutely loved him and he had them playing great after Kiffen was canned.

We won't know unless we try. You miss 100% of the pitches you don't swing on.......

If the best thing is to fire Riley, don't hold off until there is "less openings". Thats a loser mentality. You want to beat the best, go for the best.

You are making quite a few assumptions here. ADs don't just fire coaches and "see who they can get" after. At least not anymore. Plenty of 3rd party services out there to gauge interest so programs and coaches don't lose face. Michigan is the only recent example counter to that, and that could have blown up in their face.

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct yesterday, one of their guests mentioned a national writer (can't remember his name). Anyway, the guest said the national guy believes there will be more than 25 openings at the end of the year. That is 20% of Div1 college football teams looking for a new coach...

Did anyone else hear the segment and rembember the writer's name?

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct yesterday, one of their guests mentioned a national writer (can't remember his name). Anyway, the guest said the national guy believes there will be more than 25 openings at the end of the year. That is 20% of Div1 college football teams looking for a new coach...

Did anyone else hear the segment and rembember the writer's name?

It's probably not far off. If a bunch of those already open take a HC from another team, it almost doubles the openings now.

There are plenty of changes every year. This year's number will grow, and perhaps be more than usual, but last year included Michigan and Florida. The year before was USC, Texas, Penn St, and Washington. There will always be "hot" coaches available, who may or may not pan out. There will also always be competing programs in the mix for them. If you're waiting for a year in which we'll have a clear shot at the best candidate, that may never happen.

Agreed

Lots of rumors here about Rich Rod leaving UofA and being a top candidate for the Va Tech job, getting back to his roots in that part of the country. That would add Arizona to the list of schools looking for a coach, but getting a top talent down to Tucson is very difficult. I could see them going the coordinator route for sure.

Wow; were blessed with alot of arm chair coaches. frost ain't coming. he felt the wrath of the fans in 96 when fans boo'd him and wanted him benched. it was so bad, osborne had to come out and address the problem. osborne's exact words were; 'we have no one better then scott, so he stays at QB'. frost knows he needs a gig that allows him to learn to deal with the public. the meat grinder here, basicly sucks. fans chase off recruits and good assistant coaches.

He is from Wood River, his parents live in Ashland. He also knows being a Nebraska guy he will get more patience then an outsider. There is one other important thing, he knows he is a good coach. Frost is not going to shy away from a job because he is afraid of failing. He could have went to Colorado State last year. He wants the big stage.

Firing them this year would do two things:

1) Send a message to every available coach we consider that we expect IMMEDIATE results.

2) Put ourselves in a tough spot as far as hiring a new coach goes with all the other competition from the listed programs.

1. I don't agree. I think it just sends the message we have some semblance of standards, albeit not that unreasonable. You can't take a stable program that won 9-10 games the last 7 years and proceed to have one of the worst seasons in program history. I don't think that standard is too high. No one was expecting conference championships or more in the first year. Just don't immediately take us to last in our division.

2. I agree. There is a lot of competition for a few good candidates.

Let me ask you this

What would have been the strength of this team to get us back to the 9-10 win column

Offensive line? QB Play? RB Play? Secondary Play? DE Play?

The only strengths I see on this team have been some of our WR core I didn't say all and some of our young linebackers(would really like to see webber get more snaps) and the middle of the DL

The "strengths" of this team to get to that nine or ten win plateau? Very simple......the schedule they play. While admittedly our talent is not top tier, the teams we've played have even less.

Actually we are pretty even when you look at the recruiting numbers.