Overtime: Michigan St Post-game Overreactions

This is what happens when these guys fight.

Players beat up, hurt, and still dying to come back in the game to make a play to help their team.

A defensive line that couldn't get pressure all damn night, but still continued to fight. An offensive line that was overmatched by a fantastic defensive line from Sparty, but they punched them in the damm mouth all game long.

I could not be more proud of this group of guys for how they fought all game long.

GBR

A-freakin' men!

We played a lot better tonight and I was generally more pleased with the performance tonight but I admit I did think we were going to come up short so winning was awesome. I hated the pass plays in the red zone that led to the INT. It just felt like that sucked all the momentum out of the game and we needed to keep matching Sparty as they were moving it on us. Thought we could not climb out of that double digit deficit but we did! Man, we gave Cook a lot of time back there (maybe that is why he felt so comfortable letting 7 seconds off at the end...Mack Brown flashback with the Dantonio asking for 1 second left!). Special teams...onside kick look liked we never practiced it...and why did we not kick the ball deep at the end of the game...we nearly gift wrapped them field position to hit a FG and break our hearts again. Imani Cross and Jordan Westercamp were awesome! Reilly with a clutch catch! Tommy kept battling and that's who is...I feel like if he had the time Cook did he'd be a lot better QB. The OL blocked for the run better tonight but they still can't pass protect. If we had lost I'd have said we saw good progress but winning is major progress. Let's win our next one. Noise came through on television so we need top recruits from this game. Packed house sounded electric!

This is the biggest accomplishment for this program since Black Friday, 2001, on Folsom Field.

Let that sink in.

As I said before this game was even played....bullsh#t.

Who have we beat that's better?

There is a reason they played so many poor teams so closely, and it's similar to the reason some analytics had this undefeated team dangerously close to being out of the top 25 (that's really hard to do for such a team this late in the season). They're just not a top ten caliber team on either side of the ball (total offense and pass defense, in particular). The political correctness policy may say that scoring margin should not be used in college football, but there is a very good reason it should be: it predicts future success better than any other primary stat in alternate possession sports. Michigan State's margin of victory was pedestrian given its strength of schedule. That's why this line was so low. The record and therefore ranks of these respective teams were a much bigger gap than their metrics.

Arizona 2009, despite 5 losses, has a similar profile to this MSU team in terms of differentials (their production relative to their opponents). The big difference between those teams: turnovers, and turnovers have a high degree of randomness to them.

While those two may have similar profiles, 2010 Missouri has a better one. They beat their opponents by more, and out gained them by considerably more. They finished 6th in scoring defense, MSU came in ranked 37th. Missouri scoring offense 44th, MSU 48th. (Yes, it is silly to consider a team top ten with those scoring numbers.)

2015 MSU only out gains opponents by 0.3 yards per play (and they didn't outgain us today in that category). 2010 Missouri was at 0.7. (For reference, 2015 Alabama is at 1.5 yards per play, but many griped when they were ranked ahead of undefeated teams like MSU.)

Edit: Post Nebraska, MSU out gains opponents by 0.2 yards per play, rank 40th in scoring offense, rank 47th in scoring defense.

This is the biggest accomplishment for this program since Black Friday, 2001, on Folsom Field.

Let that sink in.

Missouri 2009 or 2010.

Missouri 2009? Lol not by a long shot.

Missouri 2010 is the closest, and if this MSU team isn't a true top 10 team, than neither was that team.

Let that sink in.

Missouri 2009 or 2010.

Missouri 2009? Lol not by a long shot.

Missouri 2010 is the closest, and if this MSU team isn't a true top 10 team, than neither was that team.

I said nothing about questioning whether any of those teams were a "true" top 10 team. That 2009 game in the monsoon at Missouri was an excellent win. We were down, made adjustments and dominated the second half. Mizzou fans cleared the stadium and chants of "Go Big Red" were loud.

I prefer the 2010 game also because of the way we ran the ball. Helu was unbelievable.

To say last night's game was the biggest accomplishment since 2001 is a stretch in my opinion.......but you have yours.