Reilly out of bounds

Husker66

It was the right call by the refs. Now I am wonder which poster is Mark Dantonio?!

I finally had a chance to track down the MSU reaction to the play and from what I've found its a complete shoulder shrug. Not a single quote I saw from them blamed the loss on that play or even bitched about the call. This goes for player and coach quotes I saw in this piece.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/126594/blame-poor-play-not-the-officials-spartans-say-for-crushing-loss-at-nebraska

Overall I think that's taking a tough loss like a man

In his mind he is thinking that...................................

The Big Ten said Sunday that officials used the proper mechanics to indicate a Nebraska player stepped out of bounds and returned to the field before catching the winning touchdown pass against Michigan State on Saturday night.

The conference, however, didn’t say whether the officials’ determination that Brandon Reilly was forced out of bounds — and thus able to come back inbounds and make a legal catch — was right.
“We don’t comment on judgment calls, but can confirm that proper technique was used, and provide additional information on instant replay,” conference spokesman Scott Chipman wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

“In the judgment of the official, the Nebraska player went out of bounds due to contact by the Michigan State player, then returned to the field of play and established himself before catching the touchdown pass,” the Big Ten statement said. “The instant replay crew then stopped the game to review if there was clear evidence of contact, if the Nebraska player re-established himself in the field of play and completed the catch. Per NCAA rules, the instant replay crew cannot review the severity of contact, as that is a judgment call handled by the officials on the field.”

OWH

Big Ten officiating coordinator Bill Carollo told CBS Sports on Sunday that he thought there was slight contact by Edmondson and supported his official's call.

"The degree of that (contact) you can debate for the next 10 years," Carollo said. "When you've got 4.3 speed running down the sideline, it doesn't take a whole lot to move you. It's not one of those obvious ones that people will say he was pushed. These defensive backs are very well coached and he was probably taught exactly that way. I wouldn't say to coach these guys differently, but they know that's the risk when you run down the sideline with them. ... He's squeezing the sideline. That's what the defensive back is supposed to do. He's trying to get him out of bounds."
Carollo said he felt "pretty comfortable" with the positioning of the official. "I pay him to make those calls," he said. "Either way, we're going to have to make a decision. You take a touchdown away, it's a big play. Do I wish it was more obvious? Sure. But replay can't fix that. It's a tough judgment call."

CBS Sports

• Fire 1

Yeah. It's fine, and apparently legal, to squeeze your man out of bounds if that's how you want to play it. Just realize that he can still come in and catch the ball. You can't just take the guy out of eligibility from the play that way. It shouldn't, and doesn't work that way. :thumbs for the good find.

• Fire 2

Some MSU fans suggesting that Reilly also pushed off of their DB, while coming back in bounds, which is ridiculous. In fact, that the DB went down, just supports the fact that his momentum by Reilly, which included the contact leading to Reilly going out of bounds, ultimately led to the DB going out of bounds and falling as well.

In this little series, you'll note the DB simply losing his footing as he tries to change direction to catch Reilly going inside on him, and even appears to grab Reilly briefly, before losing grip. :)

PLAY2.jpg

Some MSU fans suggesting that Reilly also pushed off of their DB, while coming back in bounds, which is ridiculous. In fact, that the DB went down, just supports the fact that his momentum by Reilly, which included the contact leading to Reilly going out of bounds, ultimately led to the DB going out of bounds and falling as well.

In this little series, you'll note the DB simply losing his footing as he tries to change direction to catch Reilly going inside on him, and even appears to grab Reilly briefly, before losing grip. :)

PLAY2.jpg

I think he was more just trying to get around the MSU player. The db impeded his route and he had to come back for the catch, which I believe is perfectly legal in that aspect. They both had hands on each other at that point and Reilly had a better angle causing the db to slip as you said.

Yeah. It's fine, and apparently legal, to squeeze your man out of bounds if that's how you want to play it. Just realize that he can still come in and catch the ball. You can't just take the guy out of eligibility from the play that way. It shouldn't, and doesn't work that way. :thumbs for the good find.

And the counter argument is that since contact is so prevalent, such rulings makes it too easy for receivers to step out of bounds to create space. Both arguments have validity. Football is very much a game if pushing the definitions of the rules.

I suppose I'm just patient with referees. If a call seems plausible, then I tend to defer. Either way they called this would have been plausible to me.

Yeah, I agree. A lot of things can go either way. I mean, "what's a catch anymore" is another interesting one. It's always a push/pull. I'd hate to be in MSU fans' shoes right now and I wouldn't feel great if it had happened to Nebraska.

I don't think you want to make it easy for WRs to step out of bounds to create space, but I don't think Reilly was trying to do that either. If two guys are running along the sidelines, a little bit of contact can knock a guy off. That's just football and I think it's worse for the game if that's all it takes for a WR to no longer be eligible.

If the WR ran out without any contact, sure. But that's exactly what they reviewed, so it seems like justice was served on this play.

• Fire 2

Big Ten officiating coordinator Bill Carollo told CBS Sports on Sunday that he thought there was slight contact by Edmondson and supported his official's call.

"The degree of that (contact) you can debate for the next 10 years," Carollo said. "When you've got 4.3 speed running down the sideline, it doesn't take a whole lot to move you. It's not one of those obvious ones that people will say he was pushed. These defensive backs are very well coached and he was probably taught exactly that way. I wouldn't say to coach these guys differently, but they know that's the risk when you run down the sideline with them. ... He's squeezing the sideline. That's what the defensive back is supposed to do. He's trying to get him out of bounds."
Carollo said he felt "pretty comfortable" with the positioning of the official. "I pay him to make those calls," he said. "Either way, we're going to have to make a decision. You take a touchdown away, it's a big play. Do I wish it was more obvious? Sure. But replay can't fix that. It's a tough judgment call."

CBS Sports

Exactly right.

Reilly wasn't watching what he was doing and got away with one. He was not forced out of bounds. You can't be forced out of bounds by a defender that has his back to you that is running downfield.

No. You're wrong.

Your premise is that a DB can't ever be guilty of interference in any way if he's looking back at the ball, with his back to the receiver. I know you didn't say that explicitly, but that seems to be what you're implying. And this is absolutely, 100% not true. There can be such contact on pass interference calls, and it can apply to this case as well.

And on the replay, he straightens his arm behind his back to make contact with Reilly. The hat comes off. The ref sees the contact with the straight arm. The call is ruled as simply contact by the defensive player. They review it. They confirm contact. Correct call on the field upheld.

First, I absolutely did not imply that. Second, Fox's expert on officiating was consulted and he said the wrong call was made, that he was not forced out.