Opponents

gdubs4nu

How difficult has Nebraska's schedule been so far this year?

Nebraska 4-6

BYU 7-2

South Alabama 4-4

Miami 6-3

Southern Miss 6-3

Illinois 5-4

Wisconsin 8-2

Minnesota 4-5

Northwestern 7-2

Purdue 2-7

MSU 8-1

Total opponent record 57-33

Iowa 9-0

Southern Illinois 7-2

Iowa State 3-6

Pitt 6-3

Northern Texas 1-8

Wisconsin 8-2

Illinois 5-4

Northwestern 7-2

Maryland 2-7

Indiana 4-5

Total opponent record 43-39

Barring a complete meltdown in New Jersey this week, how much will the bye week (FINALLY) have an effect on preparation for Iowa?

Check out The Husker Beat Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/thehuskerbeat/
Check out The Husker Beat Soundcloud podcast page here: https://soundcloud.com/the-husker-beat

• Fire 1

This late into the season, I would suggest it is indicative of a fairly tough schedule as you would really expect a combined won/loss record near the end of the year to approach .500 statistically speaking. We appear likely to have played more 'winners' than losers. That argues that as group our opponents were better than average.

This late into the season, I would suggest it is indicative of a fairly tough schedule as you would really expect a combined won/loss record near the end of the year to approach .500 statistically speaking. We appear likely to have played more 'winners' than losers. That argues that as group our opponents were better than average.

I think it would be interesting to compare the end of season results of this team's opponents as compared with the past seasons' combined records. That might be a simple but reasonably reliable predictor of the relative strength of the schedule. To say this team was 'better' or worse than prior teams because our record was worse or better needs to be considered relatively speaking. In my opinion, one needs to really carefully consider the strength of schedule, won/loss records, statistical comparisons, etc. As we all know for all the debates that go on in this board on all these topics, beauty is in the eye of the beholder on many things. Still, one can argue the 'facts' such as the numbers would suggest. Overall, there is surely a large degree of stability and to say that as a group, college football teams on the average are most likely very equivalent in terms of quality and relative strength from one season to the next. There is a case to be made that, over time, there has been a general tendency for overall talent of players to have steadily increased over longer periods of time as we all know kids are 'bigger, stronger, faster'. However, there are exceptions. I think most fans would tend to agree, still after 20 seasons, that the '95 Huskers are the best team of all time. I feel that team would defeat last year's Ohio State team. However, that '95 team is anomaly which stands out big time. There may be others but seriously, the ;71 Huskers would not be that competitive with the '95 team or last year's Buckeyes.

But, NU is a "win" for a lot of the teams it played while Iowa was a "loss" for all the teams it played.

How difficult has Nebraska's schedule been so far this year?

Nebraska 4-6

BYU 7-2

South Alabama 4-4

Miami 6-3

Southern Miss 6-3

Illinois 5-4

Wisconsin 8-2

Minnesota 4-5

Northwestern 7-2

Purdue 2-7

MSU 8-1

Total opponent record minus Nebraska 51-29

Iowa 9-0

Southern Illinois 7-2

Iowa State 3-6

Pitt 6-3

Northern Texas 1-8

Wisconsin 8-2

Illinois 5-4

Northwestern 7-2

Maryland 2-7

Indiana 4-5

Total opponent record minus Iowa 43-30

Barring a complete meltdown in New Jersey this week, how much will the bye week (FINALLY) have an effect on preparation for Iowa?

Check out The Husker Beat Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/thehuskerbeat/

Check out The Husker Beat Soundcloud podcast page here: https://soundcloud.com/the-husker-beat

Adjusted to remove Iowa/Nebraska and their outcomes from the breakdown.

But, NU is a "win" for a lot of the teams it played while Iowa was a "loss" for all the teams it played.

that makes up 6 wins....but the teams nebraska have played against have 14 more wins than iowa has played.

Yep! The common opponents are in Iowa's favor of course...but the early line on the Nebraska-Iowa game is Iowa -3.

that makes up 6 wins....but the teams nebraska have played against have 14 more wins than iowa has played.

doen't forget Iowa, still has 3 to play. not a huge deal but will close the gap alittle.

Iowa's best two wins were against NW and Wiscy. Both of them managed to hold on and beat us at home but they were close.

I think now that things are starting to click, we can control the game against them being at home. If we don't let them dictate the pace and control the clock we will beat them. Rythym will be everything.

Iowa's best two wins were against NW and Wiscy. Both of them managed to hold on and beat us at home but they were close.

I think now that things are starting to click, we can control the game against them being at home. If we don't let them dictate the pace and control the clock we will beat them. Rythym will be everything.

I know you are an optimist, but the "starting to click" idea is based off one game, in which it really took a miracle for NU to win.

I know you are an optimist, but the "starting to click" idea is based off one game, in which it really took a miracle for NU to win.

But it was no accident that we were hanging right with them the whole game. I would have been happy with game if we hadn't scored at the end. I'm a glass half full person though.