College Football Playoffs Legit or a scam?

Nebhawk

I really want to see an 8 team playoff soon with:

5 power five conference champions

3 wildcards

no more than 2 teams from same conference in playoff

Add a rule that you cannot be part of the 8 if you lost to one of the other 7.

No.

Please explain your reasoning why not. My logic is you already had a shot at that team and failed. Also think of the team that already played and beat that team and how it is very difficult to beat a team twice in the same season. To me, it is rewarding the LOSER.

Allowing voters to determine who's in and who's out based on unknown and differing measurements is a scam. Can you imagine the NFL having voters choose which teams go to the playoffs?

In my opinion, the FCS does it better. Play a little bit shorter season and then have a real playoff to determine the champion on the field.

You realize that half the FCS playoff field is determined by a committee, right?

I like the shorter season and expanded playoff.

The objectives in sport need to be concrete: win your division and play for the conference. Win your conference and play in a semifinal. Win your semifinal and play for the Natty. Players, coaches and teams shouldn't have to worry about marketing their team to pollsters. That's for beauty pagaents. Of course, the reason it is the way it is, is because the media loves it this way. It's better television.

I really want to see an 8 team playoff soon with:

5 power five conference champions

3 wildcards

no more than 2 teams from same conference in playoff

Add a rule that you cannot be part of the 8 if you lost to one of the other 7.
No.

Please explain your reasoning why not. My logic is you already had a shot at that team and failed. Also think of the team that already played and beat that team and how it is very difficult to beat a team twice in the same season. To me, it is rewarding the LOSER.

Losing a game in the first few weeks is not indicative of how good a team is toward the end of the season, and imo the teams that should make the playoffs should be the ones that are the best at the end of the season (given they're undefeated or have 1 loss).

Furthermore if a team has only lost to the #1 team in the country how can you put other teams above them who've lost to crap teams? The exception to this which I kind if indicated above is if said team loses to that team during the end of the season.

If Iowa only loses to OSU, they shouldn't go because it should be pretty clear they're not going to beat them 3 weeks later. But if that game got played week 1 they should have another chance if it's their only loss.

• Fire 1

Honestly I don't know which is dumber. ND clinging to its independence like a security blanket infested with fleas OR the Big 12 dead set on only having 10 teams because they are too lazy to expand.

Both notions keep them at a severe disadvantage concerning the playoff, and both notions are an outdated ideal. The future is large conferences and the future of the playoff will be shaped around that.

ND and the Big 12 could solve eachothers problem really quick...

Big XII hurt themselves by saying they would have "one true champion" yet Baylor and TCU were co-champions.

Probably tried to back their way in to getting two teams into the playoff and it backfired monumentally. Even such, I thought the playoff committee made the right choices last year regardless of whether or not they named TCU/Baylor the true champion.

• Fire 1

Allowing voters to determine who's in and who's out based on unknown and differing measurements is a scam. Can you imagine the NFL having voters choose which teams go to the playoffs?

In my opinion, the FCS does it better. Play a little bit shorter season and then have a real playoff to determine the champion on the field.

You realize that half the FCS playoff field is determined by a committee, right?

I like the shorter season and expanded playoff.

The objectives in sport need to be concrete: win your division and play for the conference. Win your conference and play in a semifinal. Win your semifinal and play for the Natty. Players, coaches and teams shouldn't have to worry about marketing their team to pollsters. That's for beauty pagaents. Of course, the reason it is the way it is, is because the media loves it this way. It's better television.

Money is the reason for the way it is. If it wasn't for people afraid to lose profits, it would be the way you describe. It is that way in every other sport that has a playoff. At every level.

If what you want is accuracy, don't use a single elimination knockout. Nobody wants accuracy though, they want money. So you build something that makes money and then convince the already indoctrinated public that a playoff (see how I invoked the magic word) is the way to go.

Money is not the only factor. I'm assuming you think it should be best of 3 or 5 or whatever. But the physical toll of football on the players is far far greater than playing 3-7 games of basketball or baseball. It'd be asking too much to tack on those extra games for that reason, imo.

I guess I'm also not seeing how they'd decide which of these teams would be without a playoff.