Paris attacks

And here's why it's so important to spell out explicitly in everything we say and do, so that those lacking filters don't take what we perceive to be harmless generalizations and run with them.

Islamic Center of Omaha targeted by vandals

A vandal spray-painted the Eiffel Tower peace symbol on an outside wall of the Islamic Center of Omaha, the third incidence of vandalism at the center since August.

The vandal likely is venting his anger about the deadly attacks in Paris on Friday evening, said Mohammed Rasheed, a spokesman for the center, 3511 N. 73rd St. The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which killed 129 people and injured more than 345.

The attackers in France do not represent Islam, Rasheed said, and center leaders condemn terrorist groups.

Maybe - and I know this is a crazy thought - but maybe it isn't such a bad thing to stress over and over that not all Muslims are radicals, or responsible for terrorism.

Because...

...the battle against hate, ignorance and stupidity starts at my front door.

And here's an extra fun analogy.

Muslims are to terrorism as Nebraskans are to the doofs who vandalize Islamic centers.

And for those of you demanding that "Islam" does something about terrorists who abuse their religion, ask yourself this - what, personally, are you going to do about the vandalism at the Omaha Islamic Center?

i wouldn't go to the 90% extreme...but there is a sizable population of militant muslims who have declared war on the world. ISIS, the Taliban, Al Quada, Baku Harim, is it the tamil tigers in the southeast asia area? and others i forget now. and yes...i know i probably spelled some of those wrong....chastise me for that if you must. but no one can tell me that the militant islamic movement isn't a problem.

I guess we have to define what "extreme" means. If it means believing that suicide bombing is ever justified...well...France (and, to a less degree, the US, UK, Spain, and Germany) could be in for some more trouble in the future, even if the number is nowhere close to 90 percent.

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/old-assets/pdf/muslim-americans.pdf#page=60

i wouldn't go to the 90% extreme...but there is a sizable population of militant muslims who have declared war on the world. ISIS, the Taliban, Al Quada, Baku Harim, is it the tamil tigers in the southeast asia area? and others i forget now. and yes...i know i probably spelled some of those wrong....chastise me for that if you must. but no one can tell me that the militant islamic movement isn't a problem.

I guess we have to define what "extreme" means. If it means believing that suicide bombing is ever justified...well...France (and, to a less degree, the US, UK, Spain, and Germany) could be in for some more trouble in the future, even if the number is nowhere close to 90 percent.

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/old-assets/pdf/muslim-americans.pdf#page=60

Suicide bombing is definitely an "extreme." I can't fathom the mindset it takes to allow your religion to warp you so much that you'd be willing to commit suicide, and murder others in the process. Baffling.

That Pew research poll showed 13% feel suicide bombing is justified. That's scary. 26% of 18-29 year olds felt that way, and based on history, those are the most likely folks to commit such acts. That, too, is scary.

It's a tremendously different thing to answer a poll and to actually strap explosives to your body, but even 1% answering "yes" to that question would be scary as heck.

Muslims are to terrorism as Nebraskans are to the doofs who vandalize Islamic centers.

And for those of you demanding that "Islam" does something about terrorists who abuse their religion, ask yourself this - what, personally, are you going to do about the vandalism at the Omaha Islamic Center?

if i had any idea who it was i would phone the police about him. i bet there are some that know who he/she/they were and i hope they take the opportunity to turn them in. but i am glad it was only spray paint instead of bombs or bullets

• Fire 1

Marco Rubio just called it what it is on his facebook page.

"We must call them what they are - radical Islamists. And we must defeat them"

Marco Rubio is a pandering joke. Honestly who cares what we call it? I'd rather not attach muslim to it, but that is what it is. And I'm not going to fault POTUS for not attaching the word either. After all it ks his job to be diplomatic.

if i had any idea who it was i would phone the police about him. i bet there are some that know who he/she/they were and i hope they take the opportunity to turn them in. but i am glad it was only spray paint instead of bombs or bullets

+1

But, since you don't know who did it and you're not an investigative agency, you're not going to do anything other than being vigilant, right? That's a perfectly appropriate thing to do, and it's what I'm going to do (since I also have no idea who did it).

I'm thinking that's what most Muslim does when it comes to terrorism, too. They're not a nation-state, they're not an army, they're just civilians like most of us, so they do nothing. Some have helped with information, but as individuals they're largely powerless.

Marco Rubio is a pandering joke. Honestly who cares what we call it? I'd rather not attach muslim to it, but that is what it is. And I'm not going to fault POTUS for not attaching the word either. After all it ks his job to be diplomatic.

Nope, it's the presidents job to wave guns, the flag, and kick a$$ of anyone who doesn't believe in democracy, jesus, and capitalism. Or that's the narrative of some.

Knapp, you say the battle against hate starts at the front door but I've seen PLENTY from you and others on this board, who hate on Christianity. If you are on the side with humanity why use Christianity as the bullet in your chamber to fire back at those who are fired up about Anti-American Terrorists.

Not trying to play the "victim" card some continuously point out even though I state that I'm not. It just baffles me the same people who fight against "people hate", do the EXACT thing they fight against when it comes to something they don't agree with. Whether its Christianity, Islam, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, whatever....

What you decide to do is ultimately up to you, I don't care that you hate on my faith, but don't claim you are some uber righteous humanitarian and then go on to undermine Christians when NOT ONE SINGLE person has used it to compare to the Islamic faith in this discussion. No one has said anything about Muslims converting to Christianity and all would be fine blah blah blah....yet, there are plenty of you who go straight to pointing the finger at a christian extremist.

NO ONE SAID ANYTHING about Christians being perfect.

Get off your "humanitarian" high horse.

• Fire 2

How bout closing the border for a time instead of bringing in a bunch of refugees to the country that are potentially terrorist plants.

At some point it would be nice to just not have to spell it out. Good grief.

How about we be America, follow our ideals and don't pander to terrorism. Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither, and will lose both.
  • Fire 3

Nope, it's the presidents job to wave guns, the flag, and kick a$$ of anyone who doesn't believe in democracy, jesus, and capitalism. Or that's the narrative of some.

Who said that?

Knapp, you say the battle against hate starts at the front door but I've seen PLENTY from you and others on this board, who hate on Christianity. If you are on the side with humanity why use Christianity as the bullet in your chamber to fire back at those who are fired up about Anti-American Terrorists.

Not trying to play the "victim" card some continuously point out even though I state that I'm not. It just baffles me the same people who fight against "people hate", do the EXACT thing they fight against when it comes to something they don't agree with. Whether its Christianity, Islam, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, whatever....

What you decide to do is ultimately up to you, I don't care that you hate on my faith, but don't claim you are some uber righteous humanitarian and then go on to undermine Christians when NOT ONE SINGLE person has used it to compare to the Islamic faith in this discussion. No one has said anything about Muslims converting to Christianity and all would be fine blah blah blah....yet, there are plenty of you who go straight to pointing the finger at a christian extremist.

Why is this turning so personal for you? Now you have to accuse me of exhibiting "hate" towards Christianity? Dude, chill out.

Why is this turning so personal for you? Now you have to accuse me of exhibiting "hate" towards Christianity? Dude, chill out.

It's not. I'm just addressing a double standard. That's all.

How bout closing the border for a time instead of bringing in a bunch of refugees to the country that are potentially terrorist plants.

At some point it would be nice to just not have to spell it out. Good grief.

How about we be America, follow our ideals and don't pander to terrorism. Those who would sacrifice libert for security deserve neither, and will lose both.

Remember when America used to be the Great Melting Pot?

Remember when we had that statue that said, ""Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

LOL. Good times.

• Fire 3