Black teenager with knife killed by Chicago PD

What are cops suppose to change? Since I'm not going to be robbing convenience stores, sell/buy drugs, walk down the road with a knife, I feel a little safer knowing that these guys are being taken off the street using as much force is necessary to get them gone.

What are cops suppose to change? Since I'm not going to be robbing convenience stores, sell/buy drugs, walk down the road with a knife, I feel a little safer knowing that these guys are being taken off the street using as much force is necessary to get them gone.

Being taken off the street is one thing, being 6' under is another.

Seems like in this situation, the cop asked (demanded) LaQuan to drop the knife, and when he didn't, they shot. Sounds like there wasn't another option for them. They can't get close without risking their own lives (because who knows if he's going to swing or not).

After the cop shot him, he fell to the ground but was still holding the knife. Again, they couldn't go in for an arrest without risking their own lives because who knows if he still has the ability to swing the knife or not.

Seems like a lose-lose for the cop, to be honest.

Sorry if I don't cry any tears over prisoners being put to work. The way I look at it, they are getting a living wage just sitting there.

Good investment opportunity for ya...

Please explain how I'm invested in this or making money off of it?

I'm implying it could be a good investment for you as the for profit prison industry has been on the upswing for a number of years now. Free labor means high profit margins!

Aw shucks, it appears most of the investment happens "in house":

The nation’s two largest for-profit prison companies, Tennessee-based Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) and Florida-based GEO Group (GEO), are publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange......As of July 2015, CCA had issued approximately 117 million shares of stock with a market cap of $4.05 billion, while GEO had issued around 75 million shares with a market cap of $2.76 billion. So who owns the vast majority of stock in these two companies? The answer is not everyday people or individual investors, but rather other corporations – banks, mutual fund management companies and private equity firms – as well as public employee retirement systems.

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2015/jul/31/who-owns-private-prison-stock/

Seems like in this situation, the cop asked (demanded) LaQuan to drop the knife, and when he didn't, they shot. Sounds like there wasn't another option for them. They can't get close without risking their own lives (because who knows if he's going to swing or not).

After the cop shot him, he fell to the ground but was still holding the knife. Again, they couldn't go in for an arrest without risking their own lives because who knows if he still has the ability to swing the knife or not.

There wasn't another option other than emptying a clip into the guy's head, chest, back, etc.?

I think the 17th or 18th shot while he was on the pavement--still gripping the knife and therefore still a threat, as per your vantage point--finished him off for sure. Better safe than sorry.

Ok, I get the officer safety part, and I agree there is no reason to ask any officer to take unnecessary risks in the course of doing his/her job, day in and day out. I'm just raising the question as to the use of lethal force and if there may be ways of avoiding it by considering different strategies--especially when the "perp" is unarmed.

There is also the issue of "trigger happy cops", or "rogue cops", and police unaccountability/cover ups of which I hope police dpts everywhere are addressing, because that is what has the public out in the streets.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pic of him from the article:

2EC71A3400000578-3339373-Van_Dyke_37_pic

I posted it b/c it looks weird. It looks like a fake movie pic, what with the little reflection thing right where his front teeth are. /sorry for the tangent. carry on.

NSFW Warning: Graphic violence at 5:20 in the video..

I didn't see where anyone had posted the video in this thread. YouTube has pulled down a couple of videos of this already. This one has been up for a while, but might get pulled down at some point too. They catch up with him at about 5:20 in the video.