Bowl Outlook

Nebraska vs Missouri would be a dream matchup for one of these lower tier bowls. They don't have to advertise the team records. :)

Plenty of highlight footage out there to use also.

K-State is almost certainly going bowling. If they win, they will have 6 wins. If they lose, they open up a bowl opportunity for the next team on the APR list - which is K-State

Playing the purple wizard one more time would also be fun.

I'm having a hard time seeing as how NU gets into the Foster Farms bowl.

Michigan St - Playoff

Ohio State - Rose

Iowa - Fiesta

Michigan - Outback

Northwestern - Holiday

Wisconsin - Music City

Penn State - Foster Farm (Because they won't go to Pinstripe)

Indiana - Pinstripe Bowl

Nebraska - Quick Lane

I think NU will play VaTech in the Quick Lane bowl unless I'm reading this wrong, but from what it sounds like the If Iowa goes to the Fiesta Bowl, then the Citrus Bowl doesn't select a Big10?

This article is weird with its wording

http://collegefootballnews.com/2015/2015-2016-college-football-bowl-conference-tie-ins

Jerry Palm has us playing Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl.

See...now you have 12 practices where you are spending all your defensive time getting ready for the flex-bone...something you basically won't see at all next season, so those practices are a bit wasted as for as development.

With that said...I love watch AF and this would be sweet game!

See...now you have 12 practices where you are spending all your defensive time getting ready for the flex-bone...something you basically won't see at all next season, so those practices are a bit wasted as for as development.

I wouldn't say it would be wasted practices. As long as there are players out on the field getting coached up I'm good with it

You don't have to spend the whole time getting ready for a pretty meaningless game. Do whatever you want for most of the early practices, and increase your focus on game specifics as it gets closer.

You don't have to spend the whole time getting ready for a pretty meaningless game. Do whatever you want for most of the early practices, and increase your focus on game specifics as it gets closer.

That is true...but not getting in good prep vs a triple option/Flex team can make you look really silly.

GROWING PAINS FOR BOWL SEASON

On Saturday, college football’s postseason finally reached a long-dreaded but long-inevitable milestone. There will not be enough 6-6 teams to fill the 80 spots in this season’s 40 bowl games. At least two, and as many five 5-7 teams will find out this weekend they’re going to play another game after all. Kansas State, Georgia State and South Alabama are the lone remaining six-win possibilities.

Seeing this likelihood coming, I began making calls several weeks ago to find out how exactly this process would play out. It quickly became apparent that literally no one involved had any idea. Three years ago, the NCAA formally adopted a contingency plan for this very scenario consisting of several steps, the last of which allows a 5-7 team that “achieved a top-five Academic Progress Rate in the Football Bowl Subdivision for the most recent reporting year.”

I followed up with the NCAA, which confirmed my interpretation that this specifically referred only to the top five APR schools in all of FBS -- most recently Wisconsin, Northwestern, Duke, Michigan and Stanford -- all of which happened to be eligible already. In fact, the NCAA emphasized that the 2012 bylaw was never intended to guarantee enough eligible teams.

Bowl organizers, of course, had a different interpretation, since that one would possibly cause one or more games to “go dark.” They claimed the intent all along was simply to rank the top five-win teams in order of APR score. This year that would be Nebraska (985), Missouri (976), K-State (976), Minnesota (975) and San Jose State (975).

The recently formed Football Oversight Committee -- chaired by Bowlsby -- has been tasked with sorting the whole thing out and will recommend a solution to the NCAA on Monday. It won’t likely be straightforward.

“The Board of Directors has been fairly consistent in saying they’d like to see some form of APR component applied to the selection process, so we’ll try to put that in place,” said Bowlsby. “That doesn’t mean we’ll put them in rank order.”

Among the issues at hand: Which bowls get stuck with these teams? If a Big Ten-partner bowl has an opening, does it get first dibs on Nebraska? And how do you avoid sending a team like San Jose State clear across the country?

“We have to come up with a better policy,” said Bowlsby, “because we can’t be dealing with it on a yearly basis.”

The NCAA used to strictly control the number of bowls but will now certify nearly any community that’s willing to write a check. Seven have launched just in the last two years alone. Some on the conference side would gladly let a few go dark this year just to curb the trend, but that would infuriate organizers and in fact potentially lead to lawsuits.

“We really need to review the whole postseason football issue and making sure we’re doing what 2015 demands,” said the Football Bowl Association’s executive director, Wright Waters. “This issue will put it center of the conversation. We’ll have an opportunity to talk with all the stakeholders and come out if it with a better postseason.”

Just not this postseason.

• Fire 1

The NCAA used to strictly control the number of bowls but will now certify nearly any community that’s willing to write a check. Seven have launched just in the last two years alone. Some on the conference side would gladly let a few go dark this year just to curb the trend, but that would infuriate organizers and in fact potentially lead to lawsuits.

Wonder where he got this from? I read elsewhere that part of the push for more bowls was the small conferences wanting to ensure all of their bowl eligible teams got in. Rarely does a power 5 team get left out. I doubt the Big 10 is too upset to get some 5-7 teams in to fill it's bowl spots either.