Things we were told when Riley was hired...

teachercd

1000 years combined experience.

'It's 4th and 1...golly, should we throw the fade?'......there's that.

Probably the worst play call/decision I've seen in 50+ years of FB watching. Still can't believe it.

Tommy chose to make that pass. He had options and he chose the worst one. There was a guy wide open to his left in the flats beyond he sticks. Gee golly, perhaps you'd be a dumber coach than the guy you're criticizing...moron.

I'd call a running play, quite frankly, you know, since we had ~1/2 yd to get the 1st. But hey, give TA another chance to throw a pick or make a bonehead read....
Would have been a nice time to give it to Janovich on senior day...

Absolutely, I can't say as I've ever seen Jano lose yardage and he usually makes things happen.

Probably the worst play call/decision I've seen in 50+ years of FB watching. Still can't believe it.

Tommy chose to make that pass. He had options and he chose the worst one. There was a guy wide open to his left in the flats beyond he sticks. Gee golly, perhaps you'd be a dumber coach than the guy you're criticizing...moron.

The point he's making is that on 4th & 1 with Tommy Armstrong as your quarterback, you don't call a pass. I guarantee almost nobody on this board would have called that play, and that's because its a stupid call to make.

I don't see how you can question that call ... I mean, if you have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and you are throwing to Megatron or Dez Bryant ... along with no running game ... YOU THROW THAT FADE EVERY TIME!!

• Fire 1

I don't see how you can question that call ... I mean, if you have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and you are throwing to Megatron or Dez Bryant ... along with no running game ... YOU THROW THAT FADE EVERY TIME!!

I generally hate the fade route as I think it is a lazy, predictable call, that frequently doesn't work--except for the types of players you describe there. This was a, what, 30-40 yard fade we had yesterday?! That's insane.

Tommy has had options all year and he has chosen the worst one many times, leading many to wonder why Riley / Langsdorf would once again put their trust into Armstrong's ability to find the open receiver when he regularly hasn't been able to do so...yet, that is exactly what they did (again!), it failed (again!), and you are defending it...(again!)

Which leads me to believe your insulting statement is more fitting for you than anyone else on this forum. :funnyhahah

Yeah, wasn't much in the way of choice, since he thru it up for grabs as fast as the ball touched his hands. Too bad for Carter.

I'd call a running play, quite frankly, you know, since we had ~1/2 yd to get the 1st. But hey, give TA another chance to throw a pick or make a bonehead read....

You seem to forget that it was 3rd and one before it was 4th and one. They could have stuffed us twice . Them what?

Yeah, wasn't much in the way of choice, since he thru it up for grabs as fast as the ball touched his hands. Too bad for Carter.

You seem to forget that it was 3rd and one before it was 4th and one. They could have stuffed us twice . Them what?

You know, the last time TA tried hitting a guy out in the flat, it was a pick 6 for them, so he can't be trusted to make even the simplest of throws. You go with the high % play.

It was less than a yard, I'd call a rush play, either up the gut with Jano or Cross, or fake that and boot leg TA to the edge. If we can't make a 1/2 yd rushing, then so be it.

• Fire 3

Would have been a nice time to give it to Janovich on senior day...

SHAZAAAM!!!

What we didn't hear was this.

He was a .546 career coach at OSU.

He never finished higher than 20th in the polls

Most wins was 10

Has lost to FCS teams

Loses head scratches and then pulls an upset

To this day, there is no viable reason why this guy was hired to "right" a ship that had 7 consecutive 9 win seasons. I will say, Bo was not the right guy for the job (after 7 yrs), but no one in their right mind could look as Riley's resume and say "yea, this guy gets it". From his style of offense, his resume, a cultural clash from the west coast to the midwest etc....

We got a squared peg for a round hole. Why would we expect the results to be any different. As OSU, Michigan, MSU, Iowa, Wisky continue to maintain/gain steam, NU gets further behind. Recruits see this. They no a winner/winning program. On the sideline yesterday, Riley's body language was that of a man who was simply taking space. He looked like he would rather be anywhere than on the sidelines on NU......

The play calling was not crazy yesterday. Nor were the penalties. That is what he told us, had SE listened to his resume............... That's Riley's career. Sub par, sub standard. and not good enough for NU. Let him get "his" guys and watch the same play calling, coaching decisions and mistakes plague us...... The first two, not the last is what cost us games this year. The experienced staff and their great play calling....

• Fire 1

Despite how numb I am about the entire situation, it still shocks me that anyone thinks MR will become a consistent winner. At what point does history finally predict the future for some people? Next year we can hope to be .500.

I am with you. MR is over 60 years old and will not change. The sellout streak is in danger. We can only hope the new chancellor cleans house.

Kirk Ferentz is over 60 years old and he made a lot of changes after Iowa's 7-6 and 4-8 seasons.

Despite how numb I am about the entire situation, it still shocks me that anyone thinks MR will become a consistent winner. At what point does history finally predict the future for some people? Next year we can hope to be .500.

I am with you. MR is over 60 years old and will not change. The sellout streak is in danger. We can only hope the new chancellor cleans house.

Kirk Ferentz is over 60 years old and he made a lot of changes after Iowa's 7-6 and 4-8 seasons.

Read a good article that said after last year, he really did some soul searching. Starting with deciding on Beathard as the starter in January. Re-worked the strength and conditioning program to make the end of the workouts harder than the beginning to simulate games (I'm sure the S&C coach did this).

IMO, Riley won't do this as he came in saying the right things i.e. will play to what we have, not a square peg/round hole guy, will see what works and use it.... none of this panned out in year 1. He kept with the same system to the tune of .546 at OSU. Just don't see it IMO.

Read a good article that said after last year, he really did some soul searching. Starting with deciding on Beathard as the starter in January. Re-worked the strength and conditioning program to make the end of the workouts harder than the beginning to simulate games (I'm sure the S&C coach did this).

IMO, Riley won't do this as he came in saying the right things i.e. will play to what we have, not a square peg/round hole guy, will see what works and use it.... none of this panned out in year 1. He kept with the same system to the tune of .546 at OSU. Just don't see it IMO.

I guess we'll have to see.