Why Mike Riley should be fired now

Husker Q

We lost 7 games because we have NO DRAFTABLE SENIORS!!!! Get a clue people. The boorish prick that was fired did a piss poor job of recruiting. Riley has to rebuild the talent level to win on a consistant basis.

So if Riley has elite NFL talent...he can win more than 5 games?

Isn't that kind of true of all coaches?

Part of the reason why Saban wins a lot of games every year.

I hear that!

We lost 7 games because we have NO DRAFTABLE SENIORS!!!! Get a clue people. The boorish prick that was fired did a piss poor job of recruiting. Riley has to rebuild the talent level to win on a consistant basis.

I hear that!

Then translate it to Nebraska and you will see the light.

I hear that!

I see it!

Bo recruited zero good players...that was evident by the fact the he never won more than 5 games in a season.

Once Riley gets elite NFL talent in here...things will be better

• Fire 2

Not sure what is BS about it, just put yourself in the shoes of a coach that Nebraska wants to hire. Do you go there after seeing them fire a nine win coach and then the very next guy only gets one year? Maybe some no-name comes here but I guarantee you that no elite coach would want to put himself in that position.

Like I said, if I were the AD, Riley wouldn't even be here today and we wouldn't be having this conversation but alas.... ;)

$15 million guaranteed, great fan base, 50 year sell out streak, great facilities. Yes. Also, I do not want a coach that is afraid of getting fired for a 5-7 record.

I hear that!

I see it!

Bo recruited zero good players...that was evident by the fact the he never won more than 5 games in a season.

Once Riley gets elite NFL talent in here...things will be better

Success! you finally get it.

My work is done. chuckleshuffle

I was listening to ESPN on XM radio while driving tonight. The sports talk segment was about Les Miles...the fire or keep debate...one announcer and two callers referenced Nebraska and the debacle we've had for firing two 9 / something coaches. Look at the bigger picture. Coaches are going to be very hesitant to come here if we fire Riley after one year. And this year there are a lot of high profile openings where they aren't firing a 1st year or nine win coach. Winning is a huge part of our image...but it seems our national image has also be tarnished with the coaching carousel. To suggest firing Riley now is narrow minded and uninformed at best.

Riley is not the guy for Nebraska! BUT with all the coaching changes going on and with what Gramps posted only an idiot would fire MR right now.

Well an idiot hired him, so I guess it is possible :)

I was listening to ESPN on XM radio while driving tonight. The sports talk segment was about Les Miles...the fire or keep debate...one announcer and two callers referenced Nebraska and the debacle we've had for firing two 9 / something coaches. Look at the bigger picture. Coaches are going to be very hesitant to come here if we fire Riley after one year. And this year there are a lot of high profile openings where they aren't firing a 1st year or nine win coach. Winning is a huge part of our image...but it seems our national image has also be tarnished with the coaching carousel. To suggest firing Riley now is narrow minded and uninformed at best.

Riley is not the guy for Nebraska! BUT with all the coaching changes going on and with what Gramps posted only an idiot would fire MR right now.

Well an idiot hired him, so I guess it is possible :)

very true! and with it being what it is only idiots would fire him right now. just who ya gonna get???

Riley will not be fired so asking about it doesn't make much sense. After next year when Perlman is gone ,who knows....maybe the booster-regents will look another direction if next year ends up like this one?? I kinda doubt that as well, unless donations severely drop and apathy sets in.

At the moment we have the University /media complex calling the pass on 4th and 1 a good call, so that tells you where we're at.

Hey, how did that basketball team do in the Barkleys Tournament?

After we lost to Illinois and especially after Purdue, I was on the fire Riley bandwagon (with the understanding that he'd be allowed to be the coach through a minimum of next year). However, I have changed my mentality of him and his staff these last 3 weeks. Yes we lost 7 games and yes we should've been able to beat at least 5 of the teams we lost to, but there was an obvious click in that the team finally started gaining confidence and the defense figured it out. Against Iowa, we very could've easily blown them out or at the very least shouldve won if not for Tommy having a really bad day (there's other threads about his play so I'll leave it at that).

It would be crazy to fire this coaching staff after they kept this team from falling off the rails when it very easily could have after the Purdue loss. Look at Maryland or rutgers, they had a couple bad losses and it threw their season into a dead spiral (and guess what, their coaches were fired as a result). We were competitive in every game this year.

Above all else, if you choose not to buy anything I just said, (which is fine, we're all entitled to our own opinions as long as it's justified), think about this:do we really want to throw ourselves into the crazy coaching carousel that has over 15 major schools looking for a new coach? Firing our 1st year coach after firing our 9-3 coach (yes I know, pelini wasn't fired just because of his W-L record) would make hiring who we wanted even more difficult. Just ride out Riley and his staff next year and if we're not at least 8-4, then I'd say we all have the right to want him fired. It's just not a good idea to fire him right now.

• Fire 4

Husker Q wrote: "Tom Osborne started with a passing offense and realized that it is difficult with the unpredictable midwest weather (like this years Illinois game) so he changed to a running game which can be more consistent regardless of weather. "

I have never heard this before and I have been a Husker fan since 1960. I can remember many games on my knees in front of the TV begging TO to throw the ball. I remember the option offense run to the point that our opponents ignored the pass and focused on stopping the running game- daring us to throw. When TO was under pressure about never winning the big one, he experiemented with trick plays and some passing. But I would have never believed TO had a passing offense.

I think Ferragamo was the closest we had to being a pro style QB.

I hear that!

Good thing we have a great top 5 recruiting class for 2016.....

I hear that!

Good thing we have a great top 5 recruiting class for 2016.....

You are right, it will be pretty good, likely twice as good as we have seen in the last 7 years and maybe as good as a Callahan class.

• Fire 1