Defending the firing or defending the coach

lo country

Riley will get 4 years minumium, the offense is trending up, the defense is trending up, penalties are trending down, recruiting is trending up, no blowout losses, competitive in all games. The future is really looking very good.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
No. It's called trolling and used to be against the rules but is now ok.
Pot and kettle?
Remember when trolling meant something? Apparenly now it's just a term used to discredit someone in which you disagree.

Yes. I opened my account over this last summer and display enjoyment over watching this program suffer through the Callahan V.2 era.

Oh wait......

Speaking of the pot and kettle, I do find some striking similarities between the ardent supporters of Callahan V.1 and Callahan V.2. One in the same, actually.

• Fire 1

Riley will get 4 years minumium, the offense is trending up, the defense is trending up, penalties are trending down, recruiting is trending up, no blowout losses, competitive in all games. The future is really looking very good.

Pot and kettle?
Remember when trolling meant something? Apparenly now it's just a term used to discredit someone in which you disagree.

Yes. I opened my account over this last summer and display enjoyment over watching this program suffer through the Callahan V.2 era.

Oh wait......

Speaking of the pot and kettle, I do find some striking similarities between the ardent supporters of Callahan V.1 and Callahan V.2. One in the same, actually.

I do remember when trolling meant something and it was long before last summer.

Both sides of the fence troll the other and by the look of things around here the last 4-5 months we should all just get used to it.

Pot and kettle?

Oh wait......

Both sides of the fence troll the other and by the look of things around here the last 4-5 months we should all just get used to it.

I'll make sure to book mark this post.

Eichorst has done a fine job at Nebraska and he will be here for quite awhile. The IOWA coachs that you say play to the players strengths were on the verge of being fired last year and likely would have been if not for the huge buyout. You might want to wait another year to judge Mike Riley and staff.

And just to help you out with the facts, we ran the ball 10 more times during the game than Iowa for 15 less yards.

Your stats are useless my friend given that we had 433 yards to Iowa's 250 yards, and we ran 84 plays to Iowa's 44. My point is that Iowa did not have to do a lot to win the game, just play smart and don't turn the ball over. Our CLOWN coaches decided to make Tommy a passer thinking they have Aaron Rodgers which cost us the game. If Cross was not doing the job, then bring in Jano or Ozigbo and keep trying. An 11 point deficit is not a big deficit to overcome and they should not have abandoned the run. You my friend are just a Mike Riley apologist and are here to state bullsh#t facts. I really hope that you are getting paid some of MR's money for the job you are doing. Oh wait, MR is smart when it comes to money (not coaching of course). He would not share because he is planning a nice retirement at the expense of Nebraskan's hard earned money.

Eichorst has done a fine job at Nebraska and he will be here for quite awhile. The IOWA coachs that you say play to the players strengths were on the verge of being fired last year and likely would have been if not for the huge buyout. You might want to wait another year to judge Mike Riley and staff.

And just to help you out with the facts, we ran the ball 10 more times during the game than Iowa for 15 less yards.

Your stats are useless my friend given that we had 433 yards to Iowa's 250 yards, and we ran 84 plays to Iowa's 44. My point is that Iowa did not have to do a lot to win the game, just play smart and don't turn the ball over. Our CLOWN coaches decided to make Tommy a passer thinking they have Aaron Rodgers which cost us the game. If Cross was not doing the job, then bring in Jano or Ozigbo and keep trying. An 11 point deficit is not a big deficit to overcome and they should not have abandoned the run. You my friend are just a Mike Riley apologist and are here to state bullsh#t facts. I really hope that you are getting paid some of MR's money for the job you are doing. Oh wait, MR is smart when it comes to money (not coaching of course). He would not share because he is planning a nice retirement at the expense of Nebraskan's hard earned money.

The pass was open all night. Tommy didn't guess right that game. I have really come to that conclusion. He just guesses and throws while saying a short prayer. No other excuse for blindly throwing the ball into coverage when guys are running free

The pass was open all night. Tommy didn't guess right that game. I have really come to that conclusion. He just guesses and throws while saying a short prayer. No other excuse for blindly throwing the ball into coverage when guys are running free

I think it was after the UT game with Martinez when Muschamp (or player) said that Martinez didn't "read" the read option, he predetermined where to go.

The 4th and 1 is a prime example of TA doing the same thing. I have yet to see him go to a check down (AA vs MSU last year) or progress through reads. IMO, the only way to miss those open throws is to not even have those routes as an option pre snap. IMO, he gets the call and predetermines the throw. Regardless of coverage. I think this is why he doesn't see guys underneath the routes who get the INT's..

If this a TA issue? 100%, BUT its also an issue for these "experienced" coaches who have not only 11 previous games with TA on film, they also have 3 years on film. This isn't TA's first game doing this. I bought into the spring coach speak about "playing the system with the guys on hand". This hasn't been true. No way you see TA's perfmoance and put the ball in his hand with that type of route even an option at 4th and 1 with Cross, Jano and Oz........That's coaching. And that's what has me worried.

I'm a Riley supporter. I think we'll see quite a bit of improvement next season as the players have learned the schemes, Armstrong has another year of tutelage and O'Brien to push him, and the coaches have had a full year to adjust to these players. I still see the glass as half full. We're not that far away from competing to win the division.

• Fire 1

If you think Riley is going to try "something new" at age 63, you are sorely mistaken. He has been coaching this offense for 30 years, he's not going to do anything differently now.

He proved this all year. He had a chance to change up his offense this year. The players he had did not fit the offense he has ran in the past. He made no effort to change up his style. Square peg meet round hole.

I'll make sure to book mark this post.

Bookmark this post all you want because I don’t know what good that will do.

My point was that some half full people troll the half empty ones and vice versa. The ones trolling don’t care about the rule until they are the ones being trolled. My “pot and kettle” comment was made because this looked like one of those instances to me.

This is my last response to this because it looks like zoogs :thumbs took care of it in another thread and this isn’t the place for this anyway.

If you think Riley is going to try "something new" at age 63, you are sorely mistaken. He has been coaching this offense for 30 years, he's not going to do anything differently now.

He proved this all year. He had a chance to change up his offense this year. The players he had did not fit the offense he has ran in the past. He made no effort to change up his style. Square peg meet round hole.

That's simply false. They didn't run QB draws, zone read, or the option at OSU. We saw plenty of the first two through the year and a few option calls as well.

Circling back to the original question. I was indifferent to the hire and have probably seen more negatives than positives since. That said, I'm most certainly defending him on the basis of not firing a coach after one season. Listen to any national discussion on unrealistic expectations of coaches and it's likely NU will be utilized as the token example. We've fired two winning coaches and now seemingly replaced them with questionable hires. In fact the timeline of Riley is the opposite of BC, but it feels the same; we were out on a limb for weeks being turned down numerous times, but with Riley, we might have gone out and got the first guy that would say yes. That's speculative, but a concern.

So internally I harbor a lot of the concerns of the fire Riley camp; however, I feel like this is our bed and we must lay in it for at least one more season. Anything else would further tarnish the job and future coaching options. It's going to take another lackluster season and likely will be another top to bottom AD to Coach overhaul.

I'd rather not go through that again. So I'm suspending my concerns and hoping Riley can find lighting in a bottle. As mentioned he's in the twilight of his career. We play in a weak division, so a few average years in the Big 10 and getting back to 8-9 wins a year doesn't seem out of the question. From there, a forced retirement would go over much better than a top to bottom reboot. It might be a long shot, but it's all we got, in my opinion.

• Fire 1

Here is what I don't get about all the guys that want Riley fired. Everything quiet downs with a couple of wins, we even have a lot of people convinced that Nebraska will for sure beat Iowa. I thought they could beat Iowa too, but you do have to realize a couple of things.

Iowa is a good team. They aren't the most talented team but they play very good team ball. Everything is aligned this year for them to have a good year and all the breaks are going their way right now. So don't disparage Iowa.

Almost everyone to a man said Nebraska will win if they don't have multiple turnovers, more specifically TA can't throw multiple intercenptions. Well, he threw 4 interceptions. One was a pick 6, it is that simple. You don't win many games with 4 ints.

So because of this they now want Riley and Co fired.

I'll defend any coach against being fired after one year. We don't know what Riley is capable of yet. Maybe he'll continue to be bad. Maybe he won't. He should be given at least 3 years, probably 4.

Not true at all. His entire coaching record is there to see. He is a known quantity, and you can bank of the fact that Ickyhorst knows this too.

The hypocrisy and double standards are simply astounding. I read where several posters have stated that Pelini would not have gotten NU over the hump because he hadn't done it in 7 years. Yet it is proclaimed that "We don't know what Riley is capable of yet."