Ryker Fyfe

huskers15

If the coaches felt the more pro style QB was better than Tommy, he would be playing. They had no prior relationship to any of the QBs less Stanton and he couldn't even reach beyond 4th or 5th string. It's clear they tried to adjust the offense to our stable full of athletes who play QB and it appears it didn't work. If they had a prototypical guy for their system, he would be playing.

I'm sure no one on either side of this fence is saying RF is an all conference QB. If he was head and shoulders above Tommy he would have been starting. I think the coaches thought Tommy had the higher ceiling and I get that. So did I. He showed what he can do vs Miami in the 4th qtr and vs MSU a few weeks ago. Unfortunately he doesn't always have his head screwed on tight. I thought RF, for his first start, did pretty well and could have grown from there. Either way for the first 7 or 8 weeks it was the D that was losing the battle as much as the O. Lately the D has improved enough that games were won or at least winnable.

Go back and watch the game teachervd. Lot of check downs, lot of throwing to one on one coverage etc. Yes he had some mishaps however, throwing him in there and game planning 55 passes....He really didn't look so bad.

I posted this in another thread. It's another strike against the coaches. With their poor run defense, have him throw about ~15 times against Purdue. Let him gain some confidence in live action to be a competent backup. Not sure what his confidence is like after the 4 ints. Yes our defense played very bad, but run the ball and keep our defense off the field.

If our defense had only shown up for 1 quarter we beat Purdue. The Purdue loss is directly on the shoulders of the defense for giving up 55 points. If the defense shows up and plays we easily overcome Fyfe's interceptions.

• Fire 1

Tommy has not played well. I dare say we should stick with him in the bowl game (if we in fact do go to one?????) and let him play until he makes two (2) major/glaring erros such as INTs, fumbles, etc. Then sub in Fyfe and let him go until he does the same. Then play somebody else. We have guys that have not seen the light of day in back of them unless they have quit the team or something.

Frankly, I predict Tommy will play well in his next outing. If we dont' go bowling, then who knows what can happen in 9 months until Sept 1st. Surely the other QBs on the roster will make some kind of improvement/effort to be the starter and then we will recruit one or more. Obrien is supposedly coming in a few weeks. We know that he is a darn good high school quarterback as he has just finished a very successful senior season with great stats, wins, etc. Very few errors apparently. He was a starter there.

Personally, I feel Tommy Armstrong has done many good things in his many games here. He certainly will not be easy to beat out. His errors hurt. He will need to demonstrate that he is less likely to continue those errors or he will lose his starting job. Riley will be expecting a great deal more from his team in 2016. The first year excuses and reasons will no longer apply. Experience has been given to a number of players. Sadly, we have too many that didn't play this year because the coaches were trying to win and every game came down to the last plays almost. Not good for finding playing time for the 2nds and 3rds.

• Fire 1

The sample size the OP is using is from one game where Fyfe threw 4 picks

AGAINST PURDUE!

Actually it was 3 picks, unless you're blaming Fyfe on Hovey having the ball ripped out of his hands along the sidelines. Sure, statistically it's on Fyfe but did you see that play? Did any of you see that play?

All I'm saying is that for his first start he played decently. He completed 29 passes, 30 if Hovey holds onto the ball. He checked down, he hit open receivers, he threw with touch, he didn't throw it into double coverage where receivers had to make circus catches and he has good mechanics.

I don't know if the game plan was for him to throw 48 times, I would hope it wasn't. But when you get 55 points hung on you....Bottom line IMO, he's serviceable.

I have my own theory on why TA played nearly every snap of damn near every game but I'm not going there, this thread is tiring enough. In fact it's laughable.

• Fire 1
No, thinkng Ryker Fyfe is the answer to our prayers is laughable. His ceiling is lower than Tommy's

I'm not sure on what you are basing your opinion, but you are certainly welcome to it. I happen to think that we do at least or well or better than 5-7 with Ryker Fyfe at quarterback, based on how many games were literally thrown away, but again, just opinion.

• Fire 1