Nebraska's Bowl Trip: Where the Record Means Nothing

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/unsold-bowl-tickets-costs-b1g-nearly-45-million-20140516

shows the expenses from a number of bowl games in 2013. There's a table part way down, which I don't fully understand, as it breaks down the unused ticket cost, transportation, and meals, and has a total that looks to be greater than those values. We spent over $900K in transportation and $500K in meals to go to the Gator Bowl, part of a total of $2.3M, including nearly $800K for unsold tickets. You'd hope we'll cut expenses for a smaller bowl game. Maryland spent over $600K (not counting unsold tickets) to go to a bowl in Annapolis. Take a look at a map to see how close Annapolis is to College Park.

The article says that the Big 10 negotiated smaller ticket sales requirements in return for a smaller payout, so the ticket payouts won't be as bad, or hopefully non-existent. Most or maybe all of these bowls require more than a fly in/fly out the next day commitment though. No way is it going to be $250K.

I haven't found a place where they say how much the conference pays for expenses, other than it's a predetermined amount. We don't get Dad's credit card.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/unsold-bowl-tickets-costs-b1g-nearly-45-million-20140516

shows the expenses from a number of bowl games in 2013. There's a table part way down, which I don't fully understand, as it breaks down the unused ticket cost, transportation, and meals, and has a total that looks to be greater than those values. We spent over $900K in transportation and $500K in meals to go to the Gator Bowl, part of a total of $2.3M, including nearly $800K for unsold tickets. You'd hope we'll cut expenses for a smaller bowl game. Maryland spent over $600K (not counting unsold tickets) to go to a bowl in Annapolis. Take a look at a map to see how close Annapolis is to College Park.

The article says that the Big 10 negotiated smaller ticket sales requirements in return for a smaller payout, so the ticket payouts won't be as bad, or hopefully non-existent. Most or maybe all of these bowls require more than a fly in/fly out the next day commitment though. No way is it going to be $250K.

I haven't found a place where they say how much the conference pays for expenses, other than it's a predetermined amount. We don't get Dad's credit card.

The year Michigan St went to the Rose Bowl, the B1G distributed $13.4 million for travel expenses. Michigan St received the most of that money at about $2.4 million and then it scaled down from there.

Pretty sure the teams are allotted about $250k for expenses. Leave the band in Lincoln and keep the travel party to the minimum necessary and is it completely doable. This isn't the Rose Bowl or CFP, it is going to be a garbage bowl against a garbage team...nothing to be proud of. The risk of losing another game to me far outweighs the value of additional practices or recruiting exposure wherever the game might be. Regardless of who we play, a loss in a bowl would be devastating.

Can you please explain your reasoning?

Pretty sure the teams are allotted about $250k for expenses. Leave the band in Lincoln and keep the travel party to the minimum necessary and is it completely doable. This isn't the Rose Bowl or CFP, it is going to be a garbage bowl against a garbage team...nothing to be proud of. The risk of losing another game to me far outweighs the value of additional practices or recruiting exposure wherever the game might be. Regardless of who we play, a loss in a bowl would be devastating.

6-7 or 5-8, really no difference in the big picture. Get some practice in a get the team ready for a run next season.

100927_cartoon_084_a15162_p465.gif

• Fire 2

Why sure. We aren't going to play a top tier team in whatever bowl gets saddled with a team that couldn't win half its games. So, the risk of losing would seem to me to far outweigh the "reward" of the extra practice. If I were considering playing at Nebraska, it would certainly have an impact on my decision if we go out and lay another egg (see Purdue game). The MSU win was a gift due to a terrible call that went our way. No other way to describe it. 5 wins, weak schedule. I just can't get excited about going to a bowl under these circumstances.

Why sure. We aren't going to play a top tier team in whatever bowl gets saddled with a team that couldn't win half its games. So, the risk of losing would seem to me to far outweigh the "reward" of the extra practice. If I were considering playing at Nebraska, it would certainly have an impact on my decision if we go out and lay another egg (see Purdue game). The MSU win was a gift due to a terrible call that went our way. No other way to describe it. 5 wins, weak schedule. I just can't get excited about going to a bowl under these circumstances.

Why does it matter the level of opponent? Can they field a team? Awesome. Nebraska still gets invaluable practices regardless of opponent. Could be Alabama, could be McNeese State. This game has nothing to do with recruiting and no, MSU wasn't won on a bad call.

• Fire 1

What is the over/under on number of posts in this thread before cm husker craps all over the article?

I know, for me, Athlon has been so thoroughly passed by in the internet age that they aren't worth reading. Seems every article I read, regardless of writer, is nothing more than a fluff piece. Nothing I'd regard as actual analysis. Meanwhile there are so many sites that do provide deeper content. Some specialize in X's and O's, others in analytics; imbedded video, interactive tools...so much good stuff these days. Athlon still feels like the days pre-internet when you'd scan an article hoping for a nugget.

For me, it is just not worth the read, nor really worth the comment (which is why I really haven't commented on this string of articles). I'm sure they still have an audience, but they haven't caused me to pause for thought for far too long. Maybe others, who choose to be more vocal, feel the same way. Just not worth my time these days to do so.

• Fire 1

Nebraska Cornhuskers

vs

HAZLENUTS Doinkers U

THE MUD OF DREAM BOWL

THE COW PATTIE STADIUM IN SMELLIVILLE, USA

BE SURE TO WEAR YOUR RUBBER BOOTS KNEE HIGHS

FORECAST FOR THE GAME: RAIN/SLEET/AND A LOT OF PATTIES TO STEP OVER

LAWN CHAIRS/PAIL BUCKETS ARE PROVIDED AROUND THE THE FIELD, NO BLEACHERS

FOOD AND BEVERAGES ARE SERVED BY THE CARNEY THAT WILL BE IN TOWN

WE ONLY HAVE TWO OUTHOUSES, IF OCCUPIED, PLEASE USE THE TREES AND BRUSHES BEHIND THEM

RACCOON AWARENESS: PLEASE NO SELFIES WITH THE CRITTERS

WE ALSO HAVE A LOCAL DOCTOR THAT WILL BE ATTENDING THE GAME AND AMBULANCE WAGON STANDING BY

AND WELCOME TO COW PATTIE STADIUM, WE HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR VISIT