Dirk: If Husker football truly is Pederson/Callahan 2.0, prepare for a wild winter

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mad-chatter-if-husker-football-truly-is-pederson-callahan-prepare/article_3a34e894-9907-11e5-b361-930610e6f30d.html

Dirk takes a look back at the first offseason with Callahan, and compares it to what we could be in store for

Senior linebackers Chad Sievers and Ira Cooper both said Friday that some defensive players failed to "buy into'' first-year Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove's plans. That obviously will need to be worked out.

The chancellor doesn't have a sense of whether it is coming from a vocal minority or if the state is split, but Perlman said, "You can't run a university or make important decisions on the basis of popularity.

"I had to laugh when somebody e-mailed me who was angry and said, 'What did you think of 78,000 fans booing at the game?' Well, 78,000 didn't. We can all make our judgments about what percentage participated. Doing counts doesn't help you decide whether a decision that was made was right or wrong. It just tells you if it was popular or not, and we're not in that business."

That was a cool look back a long, long ways. I didn't follow as closely back then outside of the games. 2005 was a pretty awesome year, though. It's a shame that it was only two seasons from falling apart instead of being able to spring for something more special, but that's tough.

Twenty minutes before Sievers' farewell, a strapping 17-year-old wearing a Tampa Bay Buccaneers jacket gazed into the corner of the south end zone, where Colorado was dancing and singing the school fight song. The kid is Harrison Beck, a hot-shot quarterback recruit from Florida whom Husker fans call, "The Future.''

POB

Walking off the Memorial Stadium turf Friday night, I looked up at the scoreboard “28-20” and had a flashback. That score looks an awful lot like Colorado 26, Nebraska 20.

It is not Shawn Eichorst’s fault. It is not Mike Riley’s fault. It’s really not.

Well actually....

After the game, Callahan wasn't in the mood to talk about the streak.

"I have no comment on that,'' Callahan said. "I really don't. We did the best we could today. It was one game today, one season. ... I see bright days ahead. I really do."

Ugh...

We have realized one of TO's greatest fears:

"It's sad," Osborne said, "and yet on the other hand, this marks, what, 42 years of continuity? Every player we've had during that 42-year period could turn on the TV or come visit practice and there was somebody they could relate to, somebody they knew. Now, almost totally, that's gone.

"In a way it's sad, but in another way it's really nice we had that for 42 years. Most places change coaches every three or four years."

Definitely a similar record, but that is about the only similarities IMO. Callahan was an ass that treated NU like a pro team. His quote about it being only one game, one season shows that. They got blown out how many times that year didn't happen this year. This year could have been 10-2. I never got that feeling from that year. I was at that game in 2004 against CU, they wern't even that that good a team.

It really doesn't feel the same to me. I don't know if MR is the right guy or not, but I really never felt BC was the right guy.

• Fire 1

Twenty minutes before Sievers' farewell, a strapping 17-year-old wearing a Tampa Bay Buccaneers jacket gazed into the corner of the south end zone, where Colorado was dancing and singing the school fight song. The kid is Harrison Beck, a hot-shot quarterback recruit from Florida whom Husker fans call, "The Future.''

POB

I do remember Harrison Beck and his recruitment. The big difference to me is that Harrison Beck was his own best PR guy. He was everywhere and everyone was listening to every word he said. He hyped himself. I hear nothing like that from POB. O'Brien may be a bust just like HB was but at least he is a little more suttle about it.

Walking off the Memorial Stadium turf Friday night, I looked up at the scoreboard “28-20” and had a flashback. That score looks an awful lot like Colorado 26, Nebraska 20.

It is not Shawn Eichorst’s fault. It is not Mike Riley’s fault. It’s really not.

Well actually....

I'm not sure why the 28-20 loss to #3 Iowa would remind Dirk of losing 26-20 to a CU team that lost nine games that year. #3 Iowa. Nine loss Colorado. Similar? No. :hmmph

Edited by NUance
I was looking at the wrong year. My bad. /facepalm

Well actually....

I'm not sure why the 28-20 loss to #3 Iowa would remind Dirk of losing 26-20 to a CU team that lost nine games that year. #3 Iowa. Nine loss Colorado. Similar? No. :hmmph

Huh? CU went 8-5 in 2004, and the win over NU enabled CU to win the Big 12 North. I know it's not the #3 team in the country, but CU was decent.

• Fire 1

Well actually....

Well, who else can he compare and contrast this year with when it comes to the W-L column? I agree, us dropping a game to a top 5 opponent is not the same as losing to an unranked Colorado team but try telling Dirk that. A play here or there this season and the negativity circling the program from the outside is irrelevant.

Well actually....

Huh? CU went 8-5 in 2004, and the win over NU enabled CU to win the Big 12 North. I know it's not the #3 team in the country, but CU was decent.

Decent? They had a 4-4 conference record and still won the North division and went on to get curb stomped by OU 42-3 in the CCG.

• Fire 1

Well actually....

Decent? They had a 4-4 conference record and still won the North division and went on to get curb stomped by OU 42-3 in the CCG.

My bad. I didn't know what year he was talking about, so I glanced down our schedule of CU games. I was looking at 2009 when we actually *won* 28-20. Brain fart on my part. lol

I stand corrected. :lol: