Tommy Armstrong's Instagram

Dansker

I think the "us vs. the world" idea has been blown completely out of proportion the last few years. People looking to find fault take it and try to say it means WAY more than it actually does.

It's simply supposed to be a quick way to convey the idea that the only people who really have your back are your teammates and coaches. It doesn't mean that EVERYONE else is against you, just that you can't necessarily count on them to always be supportive and thus shouldn't necessarily take what they are complaining about too seriously.

Unless you're winning every game by three touchdowns (and maybe not even then), there are going to be people complaining. It's just part of the deal. "Us vs. the world" is just a way to remind you not to get distracted by the negativity.

Case in point, this is one of Benning's responses to someone asking about TA's post:

Now, are people going to make the argument that the Huskers of the mid-90s had an unhealthy attitude flowing through the program that needed to be cleansed?

But the glaring difference is Bo Pelini was the driving force of "Us Against The World" his 2 leaked audio tapes give testimony to that. You don't think that that kind of mentality has a psychological impact on a young adult playing football at a major program like Nebraska? I dislike how Benning has to chime in with his whole, "We did this in the 90's..." They didn't have to deal with social media back then or BBS a lot of things didn't exist back then so it's unfair to compare today to the glory days. I really believe Bo psychologically screwed with his players' emotions/heads and its a virus that has to be absolved.

Someone call Jack Stark :lol:

I also think it's ironic that Armstrong lost 5 games in his freshman and sophomore year when he had coaches who coached to his strengths and didn't make him "do too much". Then when a new coach comes in and tries to make Armstrong do what he doesn't excel in, Armstrong loses 6 games as a starter.

Forgive me, I just want to vomit at the reminder of this coaching staff doing exactly the opposite of what they told the media/fans prior to this season. Didn't MR state that he was going to move to a spread offense over at OSU before taking over at Nebraska? Here, we have a team who was more comfortable with spread formations/up-tempo, recruited for it and we force feed them the WCO and sling the football around in crappy weather 45+ times. That's not putting your players in the best position to win. Our OC plays not to lose. Makes me sick hearing him say he was "spooked" by calling run plays but then goes and asks Tommy to play like Tom Brady or one of the Manning brothers.

I also think it's ironic that Armstrong lost 5 games in his freshman and sophomore year when he had coaches who coached to his strengths and didn't make him "do too much". Then when a new coach comes in and tries to make Armstrong do what he doesn't excel in, Armstrong loses 6 games as a starter.

Forgive me, I just want to vomit at the reminder of this coaching staff doing exactly the opposite of what they told the media/fans prior to this season. Didn't MR state that he was going to move to a spread offense over at OSU before taking over at Nebraska? Here, we have a team who was more comfortable with spread formations/up-tempo, recruited for it and we force feed them the WCO and sling the football around in crappy weather 45+ times. That's not putting your players in the best position to win. Our OC plays not to lose. Makes me sick hearing him say he was "spooked" by calling run plays but then goes and asks Tommy to play like Tom Brady or one of the Manning brothers.

I would of been more spooked by the 53% passer leading the nation in interceptions than a stuffed run. but what do I know.

Nebraska fans are so thin skinned... it's almost incredible.

I think the "us vs. the world" idea has been blown completely out of proportion the last few years. People looking to find fault take it and try to say it means WAY more than it actually does.

It's simply supposed to be a quick way to convey the idea that the only people who really have your back are your teammates and coaches. It doesn't mean that EVERYONE else is against you, just that you can't necessarily count on them to always be supportive and thus shouldn't necessarily take what they are complaining about too seriously.

Unless you're winning every game by three touchdowns (and maybe not even then), there are going to be people complaining. It's just part of the deal. "Us vs. the world" is just a way to remind you not to get distracted by the negativity.

Case in point, this is one of Benning's responses to someone asking about TA's post:

Now, are people going to make the argument that the Huskers of the mid-90s had an unhealthy attitude flowing through the program that needed to be cleansed?

But the glaring difference is Bo Pelini was the driving force of "Us Against The World" his 2 leaked audio tapes give testimony to that. You don't think that that kind of mentality has a psychological impact on a young adult playing football at a major program like Nebraska? I dislike how Benning has to chime in with his whole, "We did this in the 90's..." They didn't have to deal with social media back then or BBS a lot of things didn't exist back then so it's unfair to compare today to the glory days. I really believe Bo psychologically screwed with his players' emotions/heads and its a virus that has to be absolved.

The only fans who felt insulted by the first leaked tape were the ones to whom the shoe fit.

The second tape had nothing to do with fans.

More self pity.

Sad

Do these people ever look up in the stands? Did they not hear the roar of the husker nation during the Michigan State game? Do they think they're in the stadium on game day alone?

Adults need to step in and save these people from themselves, but there don't appear to be any.

Honestly, I thought your post was referring to those whining about "us against the world."

Some Husker fans are incredibly thin skinned... apparently needing to be coddled by the very players they try desperately to live vicariously through.

That is what is truly sad.

As far as the stands during a big win, how about the times the stadium has emptied early? Or boos have rained down. And before we feel to special, Michigan, Texas, Florida and other programs that suffered through awful seasons kept their stadiums packed, too.

More self pity.

Sad

Do these people ever look up in the stands? Did they not hear the roar of the husker nation during the Michigan State game? Do they think they're in the stadium on game day alone?

Adults need to step in and save these people from themselves, but there don't appear to be any.

I think it's specific to the idiot fans, which in my estimation is a vocal, ignorant majority. Christ the comments on instagram say it all.

The only fans who felt insulted by the first leaked tape were the ones to whom the shoe fit.

You misunderstood. Bo clearly taught "Us against the World" to his players. Are the fans part of the "Us" or the "World"? Based on his emotions and those leaked tapes, he showed his true colors regarding Nebraska fans and helped deliver a pink slip to his door step.

Riley and Langsdorf were playing lip service to the fans and the media. They were just saying what we all wanted to hear. We fell for that old man hook line and sinker.
  • Fire 1

You misunderstood. Bo clearly taught "Us against the World" to his players. Are the fans part of the "Us" or the "World"? Based on his emotions and those leaked tapes, he showed his true colors regarding Nebraska fans and helped deliver a pink slip to his door step.

So because Bo made an ass of himself, each and every player that says it is about them as brothers and teammates they get thrown into the same category as Bo?

The logic with some of the fans is unreal...they bash the kid for having a terrible game, they bash him for trying to be a leader. Would be very interesting to see how much of the bashing can and will be used in the recruiting world....

• Fire 1

More self pity.

Sad

Honestly, I thought your post was referring to those whining about "us against the world."

Some Husker fans are incredibly thin skinned... apparently needing to be coddled by the very players they try desperately to live vicariously through.

As far as the stands during a big win, how about the times the stadium has emptied early? Or boos have rained down. And before we feel to special, Michigan, Texas, Florida and other programs that suffered through awful seasons kept their stadiums packed, too.

You're not suggesting that Michigan, Texas, and Florida fans didn't leave games they were losing early, are you? Because you're telling a pretty apparent lie and I think even you know it?

More self pity.

Sad

I think it's specific to the idiot fans, which in my estimation is a vocal, ignorant majority. Christ the comments on instagram say it all.

He would be the same person who walked out on practice because the COACH was criticizing him. .. not the fans... the coach.

Unfortunately Tommy cannot accept any criticism from anyone... including his own coaches. So his statement would imply that the coaches are against him as well.

Adults need to step in. This is all very unhealthy, self destructive.

Not to mention that his tweet appears to anoint himself the starter next year.

More self pity.

Sad

Michigan stadium was half empty most of last year