Tommy Armstrong's Instagram

Dansker

More self pity.

Sad

Do these people ever look up in the stands? Did they not hear the roar of the husker nation during the Michigan State game? Do they think they're in the stadium on game day alone?

Adults need to step in and save these people from themselves, but there don't appear to be any.

Honestly, I thought your post was referring to those whining about "us against the world."

Some Husker fans are incredibly thin skinned... apparently needing to be coddled by the very players they try desperately to live vicariously through.

That is what is truly sad.

As far as the stands during a big win, how about the times the stadium has emptied early? Or boos have rained down. And before we feel to special, Michigan, Texas, Florida and other programs that suffered through awful seasons kept their stadiums packed, too.

You're not suggesting that Michigan, Texas, and Florida fans didn't leave games they were losing early, are you? Because you're telling a pretty apparent lie and I think even you know it?

No, I'm not suggesting that so not sure how you conjured that up from the post.

Just as Tommy seems to try to do too much on the field, he is also trying too hard off the field. Riley gave him a completely fair shot to lead NU in 2015 and he failed, and I do not trust him to lead this team in 2016. If he has not been able to show signs of improvement in 3 years of starting, I don't see a miraculous turnaround in year 4.

Well, Riley pretty much showed what kind of coach he was with his 15 years of college head coaching experience. I'm not expecting a miraculous turnaround in year 16.

Hey, my response was not an endorsement of Riley, but I'm being a realist that Riley will still be the coach in 2016 and the team will continue to move toward an offense more reliant on a QB that can pass. TA has had 3 years to show improvements and simply has not. I don't think another season is going to change his poor decision-making and bad technique. If he remains our best option when the 2016 season arrives, that just speaks to how bad all the other QB's must be.

Nebraska fans are so thin skinned... it's almost incredible.

I think the "us vs. the world" idea has been blown completely out of proportion the last few years. People looking to find fault take it and try to say it means WAY more than it actually does.

It's simply supposed to be a quick way to convey the idea that the only people who really have your back are your teammates and coaches. It doesn't mean that EVERYONE else is against you, just that you can't necessarily count on them to always be supportive and thus shouldn't necessarily take what they are complaining about too seriously.

Unless you're winning every game by three touchdowns (and maybe not even then), there are going to be people complaining. It's just part of the deal. "Us vs. the world" is just a way to remind you not to get distracted by the negativity.

Case in point, this is one of Benning's responses to someone asking about TA's post:

Now, are people going to make the argument that the Huskers of the mid-90s had an unhealthy attitude flowing through the program that needed to be cleansed?

But the glaring difference is Bo Pelini was the driving force of "Us Against The World" his 2 leaked audio tapes give testimony to that. You don't think that that kind of mentality has a psychological impact on a young adult playing football at a major program like Nebraska? I dislike how Benning has to chime in with his whole, "We did this in the 90's..." They didn't have to deal with social media back then or BBS a lot of things didn't exist back then so it's unfair to compare today to the glory days. I really believe Bo psychologically screwed with his players' emotions/heads and its a virus that has to be absolved.

Someone call Jack Stark :lol:

The only fans who felt insulted by the first leaked tape were the ones to whom the shoe fit.

The second tape had nothing to do with fans.

You misunderstood. Bo clearly taught "Us against the World" to his players. Are the fans part of the "Us" or the "World"? Based on his emotions and those leaked tapes, he showed his true colors regarding Nebraska fans and helped deliver a pink slip to his door step.

So because Bo made an ass of himself, each and every player that says it is about them as brothers and teammates they get thrown into the same category as Bo?

The logic with some of the fans is unreal...they bash the kid for having a terrible game, they bash him for trying to be a leader. Would be very interesting to see how much of the bashing can and will be used in the recruiting world....

No, not at all. Most perceive Bo as the one that made the fans the enemy of his staff/players and they did a pretty good job of hiding that. I think this year the players have embraced the fans more than recent years. The fact that he said "Us against the World" raises eye brows. Don't kid yourself if you think these players aren't still grieving over the firing of Pelini. A lot of them may never get over it until their time is done at UNL.

There is no doubt that there are players that are probably still upset about the decision to fire Bo....

However, what I think is tough for the kids is that every time they make a comment or action that reminds people of Bo, they automatically get completely trashed by clowns!

Maybe he shouldn't have posted on social networking for the entire public to see? These are grown men who play big boy football at Nebraska. They aren't little darlings.

Exactly

Do these people ever look up in the stands? Did they not hear the roar of the husker nation during the Michigan State game? Do they think they're in the stadium on game day alone?

Nah, I don't think so! I think they were dancing on the sidelines by themselves after the MSU win. I think they ran over to thank imaginary empty bleachers for showing up to away games. I think Jack Gangwish was thanking and apologizing to make believe people in the stands after the Purdue loss. You're totally right.

• Fire 1

Nah, I don't think so! I think they were dancing on the sidelines by themselves after the MSU win. I think they ran over to thank imaginary empty bleachers for showing up to away games. I think Jack Gangwish was thanking and apologizing to make believe people in the stands after the Purdue loss. You're totally right.

LOL

If we had a whole team like Gangwish we wouldn't have the team chemistry problems we had this year. I'll take a whole team of players with his attitude.

Instead we have way to many Alex Lewis and now TA who think the whole world is their enemy... including the coaches.

• Fire 1

Who cares. If this is what Tommy needs to use to help him work harder and get better, good for him.

The players shouldn't give a rip what the FEW boneheads say to or about them. Those people are buffoons. I also hope the coaches don't give two craps about the goobers that constantly bash their job performance.

5-7

Somehow I think they care... and they should if they want to keep their job.

It's always been that way in college football. From the very beginning all the way up to and including now.

tommy_gun4

Throughout my junior year I've dealt with so many obstacles and challenges. The lord has a plan and through tough times he finds a way to give back to the ones who accepts the challenges for better or worse. Next year is my last year as a "Husker" and I can promise my teammates and Brothers that they will get my all. Times will get hard, times will get frustrating and times will be great but I can promise you that I will push them to another level. It's us against the world and throughout my career I've realized that my brothers support me no matter what. Offseason starts now with or without a bowl game!! This season is a learning experience for not just me but for our team!! 2016 will be something special!! One last ride with my boys!!! #gbr

Link

You have to admire his passion but this whole us against the world thing needs to RIP. I imagine it's going to take a couple years to completely get rid of the past. I don't think TA should be given a mulligan based on the results of this season. The staff definitely needs to open up the competition so having Patrick O'Brien challenge the incumbent starter will be for the best. Perhaps it will make TA a better QB but asking someone to overhaul their mechanics is hard to do. See Taylor Martinez.

I love his attitude, I hope that at the end of the day we end up with a QB next year who can take things to the next level .......

Huskers have a lot of critics out there. Some are fair weather fans, some are lifelong fans, others aren't even fans. But to a player on the team, they all sing the same beat. "Your a terrible athlete and don't deserve to be on the team."

Though it may not be in those exact words, that's normally how some players will take it. Some players will stick it out, others will leave to find a fresh start in a less hostile environment.

Sounds to me TA wants to block out the outside noise from critics about him, and he has the support of the team and coaches to stay and improve at Nebraska.

Just as Tommy seems to try to do too much on the field, he is also trying too hard off the field. Riley gave him a completely fair shot to lead NU in 2015 and he failed, and I do not trust him to lead this team in 2016. If he has not been able to show signs of improvement in 3 years of starting, I don't see a miraculous turnaround in year 4.

Well, Riley pretty much showed what kind of coach he was with his 15 years of college head coaching experience. I'm not expecting a miraculous turnaround in year 16.

Hey, my response was not an endorsement of Riley, but I'm being a realist that Riley will still be the coach in 2016 and the team will continue to move toward an offense more reliant on a QB that can pass. TA has had 3 years to show improvements and simply has not. I don't think another season is going to change his poor decision-making and bad technique. If he remains our best option when the 2016 season arrives, that just speaks to how bad all the other QB's must be.

I don't think that has to necessarily be a full indictment against our other quarterbacks. Remember - every single one of them was recruited to play in a different type of offense, and none of them have anywhere close to the amount of experience TA has. Now, obviously, TA struggled to fully utilize that experience this year and I don't think many would argue otherwise. But, I don't believe that means we need to bring our other QB's down because of it.

Besides, you and I both know that by the time Spring ball rolls around and wraps up, a lot of posters will be talking about how quarterback X or Y may take the starting job from TA.

tommy_gun4

Throughout my junior year I've dealt with so many obstacles and challenges. The lord has a plan and through tough times he finds a way to give back to the ones who accepts the challenges for better or worse. Next year is my last year as a "Husker" and I can promise my teammates and Brothers that they will get my all. Times will get hard, times will get frustrating and times will be great but I can promise you that I will push them to another level. It's us against the world and throughout my career I've realized that my brothers support me no matter what. Offseason starts now with or without a bowl game!! This season is a learning experience for not just me but for our team!! 2016 will be something special!! One last ride with my boys!!! #gbr

Dear Tommy; throughout your career here at Nebraska the vast majority of the fans have hoped for and wished you the very best and success. While we appreciate your instagram message, you need not explain that you are going to give it your all. No one has suggested you have not brought your all to any game in which you have played in. The expectations at this level of football no matter if your a Nebraska player or other college player is that you do bring your very best everyday, practice and game day. The "us against the world" comment is concerning if you are talking about the fan base because again, the majority of the Husker fans want nothing but the best for you. Those select few Husker fans who don't, are not Husker Fans and you need to let their opinion roll off your back. Screw the week minded unknowing so called arm chair quarterbacks!

Everyone (Players, Coaches and Fans) know that there were mistakes made by the "team/coaches" but since you are the one who has made your comments on instagram, we will speak about you. I believe the mistakes that were made (reads, interceptions, mental errors) were due in part from your competitive desire to win and pressing too hard rather than trusting your teammates that you can sustain a long drive without having to go for it all. You say you will give it your all, and physically I believe you did this past year but it takes more than physicality! Give your all to the understanding of your playbook, recognizing defensive coverage's, check downs and audibles. Trust your eyes and make decisions based on what moves the yard sticks without risk.

Again Tommy, no need to tell us you are going to give it your all because with you and every other player on the Husker Team, this is expected. No need to dwell on this past season and the what ifs! Learn from it and become wiser for it. We wish our Husker Team (Players and Coaches) the best no matter what their position is or where they sit on the depth chart!

Go Big Red!

• Fire 2