McKewon: QB Play Won (and Lost) the West

Mavric

Not sure our D was good enough for that.

I agree.

However, the best way to minimize having a weak defense is to keep them off of the field.

If you want to minimize a weak defense, score as much and as quickly as you can. If you scored every drive, on a single play, your defense becomes virtually irrelevant.

Give us CJ Beathard this year and we lose 2 games max.

Not sure we lose any.

Iowa committed to the running game, even when it wasn't dominating. They didn't make Beathard win games with his arm. He threw more than 30 times in 3 games, we did it 8 times, and 3 games over 40 times.
This

Langsdorf and Riley choose play calling and their depth chart with the passing game in mind. They place no emphasis on the running game. This is why even a guy like Beathard could struggle in their offense.

Not sure we lose any.

Iowa committed to the running game, even when it wasn't dominating. They didn't make Beathard win games with his arm. He threw more than 30 times in 3 games, we did it 8 times, and 3 games over 40 times.

Iowa also wasn't playing from behind in many games. I think they said Iowa only trailed 3 or 4 times the whole year and they were all within a score. When you are able to have that happen, you don't need to pass as much and can run.

McKewon is just wrong... again.

Look, if I round up a group of kids off the street and go play a game agains Millard North, and if my random QB throws 6 picks, do we then say well the Quarterback lost the game!

No there were a lot of things wrong there. First the kids never had any time together as a team, and I didn't have the time to coach them up.

There in lies the problem. It's not the Quarterback's fault. You've got an obviously run oriented quarterback and you are asking him to throw 30 yard outs into nickel coverage, something he has never done in his life.

and frankly something almost no college QB can do

Not sure we lose any.

Iowa also wasn't playing from behind in many games. I think they said Iowa only trailed 3 or 4 times the whole year and they were all within a score. When you are able to have that happen, you don't need to pass as much and can run.

We weren't getting blown out. Only Iowa, Miami, and Purdue were ever ahead by more than one score. Purdue and Iowa both won because we were too reliant on the pass, and turned it over. Miami, got back into the game because of the pass. The other 4 games in which we lost, we had the lead, and lost it at the end of the game. Fateful playcalling at the end had a huge hand in at least 4 of the losses. Most recently, if we had kicked a FG on the 4th and 1 play against Iowa, we would have had a chance to tie it with our final 2 drives.

• Fire 1

Not sure we lose any.

So, this is the new narrative? Wow.

How many games do you think we would have lost if we had Beathard or any other "game manager" who would have thrown 3 ints all season? It's less than 7 for sure.

The same number of losses, because we didn't have a running game necessary to compliment Beathard's style of play, nor an OC willing to get said running game going. Plus the stuff about the defense.