LJS: Several RBs Benefit from Reps/Break

Mavric

I haven't seen anyone fully support Newby as the best RB, and we all like Cross but recognize his limitations. Everyone seems to agree that Wilbon has something that the others just don't have.

Most fans aren't idiots. Contrary to some, the coaching staff isn't a bunch of idiots either. For Wilbon to basically not play at all this year points to some underlying issue, one that we the fans are not going to know about. We have to be OK with that and trust the coaches. If we don't, we'll never get ourselves out of the constant state of discontent we've been in the last 15 years.

That being said, I hope things get figured out and we see Mikale a lot more next year.

I'll take Newby over Cross as an every down back every time. I'm not saying he's great, but I think he would do significantly better if he was allowed to run more plays that fit his skills better.

Wilbon and Ozigbo may end up being better but I haven't seen enough of them to say. Of course, that was fairly true of our running game in general.

Alright, hold on Huskerboard, this may be revolutionary...

Mav, I disagree. I'd take Newby/Cross every down, no questions asked. I know I'm forfeiting the big play potential, but I feel a lot more confident in picking up the necessary, tough yards when needed with Cross than Newby.

I don't need to argue, or tell you why your wrong or how it's Bo's fault. That's your opinion, and I have mine, and I think that's okay. :)

we don't have a complete back, we all know this...........

Newby, falls down at first contact, wants to bounce everything outside, gets stuffed

Cross, good power, not enough speed to take it to the house

Wilbon, who knows, not allowed to see the field much, hidden issues, i suspect

Ozigbo, probably the future when he gets more refined, needs reps

Jano, f'ing wasted for years, impressive enough at times to get the ball 6-8 times per game

• Fire 2

Is anyone else besides me concerned that we only have 1 RB commit for the '16 class?

Discussion in the recruiting forum has the opinion that the staff was only looking to bring in one for 2016

Tre Bryant is solid. Dont let the 3* concern you.

Ozigbo, Newby, Wilbon, Taylor, Bryant - more than plenty of backs next season.

Like I said, the position remains unproven and a "solid", 3*, 4.53/40 RB doesn't thrill me so much. We used to get guys like Rozier and Phillips, i.e., studs. When's the last time we've had a real stud at the position? I give credit to Ameer, but he was a self made kinda guy. We need a legit, blue chip RB @ NE. NE should still be a destination for RBs, but I guess that's changed. The Gurly's, Fournettes, and Henry's of the world are going elsewhere.

Sigh. I don't care about their HS stats once they hit the college field. Ameer proved that he was a stud. So were Rex and Roy.

And Newby was the #75 player overall according to Rivals when he was coming out of HS.

Newby is more or less a bust at this point, IMO. Maybe Taylor or Wilbon can be 'that guy', I dunno, we've been waitng 2 years to see Taylor. Ameer, Rex, and Roy were all good, but I wouldn't call them great. I miss having a great, domineering RB @ NU, we used to be RB U. I would love to be surprised some year and have the next 5* Leonard Fournette sign with us for a chancge. Or any 5* player. We haven't had a difference maker--ay any position--on this team for eons other than Suh.

This 3* stuff isn't going to cut it.

Let's stop and talk recruiting. :)

Corn, who do you want to start RB next year? My opinion is Ozigbo.

Ozigbo isn't that fast nor is he terribly elusive. Wilbon is better in all regards and gets my vote. Of course, if Adam Taylor comes in and lives up to original billng, he could be the ticket. But, he blew out a knee in H.S. and an ankle last year I guess, so how much could we expect from him? Wilbon is the ticket, me thinks.

Now, if and only if, Newby toughens up and learns to break tackles, he could still compete for #1. But I've been saying that for 2 years and it hasn't happened.

But the determining factor will be their pass blocking ability. Can Tre Bryant pass block?

You could put any 5* RB in the country behind this OL and he wouldn't look very good.

Exactly, the line needs rebuilt in the weight room and on the practice field, as well as the recruiting trail.

Last year they had a 3star RB and seemed to do pretty darn well.

A - that was last year

B- played 3 ranked teams, RB non-factor all 3 games.

I think Devine clearly showed the best "complete package" RB we had this season when he was in. Enough speed to turn the corner, enough size to bully his way down the middle and get the tough yards when needed, and the agility to make the first 1-2 guys miss. Epley's testing listed Ozigbo as the best athlete this team has.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devine-Ozigbo-27459?Institution=21028

Since those who follow recruiting like to use 247's composite ranking (average of all 4 major recruiting services), Ozigbo was ranked the #56 RB coming out of high school. We should probably cut him from the team though, right?

No they don't.

I follow recruiting as much as anyone on this board and I use Rivals because they are the most accurate... period.

Why would anyone, if they actually care about the success of the program, want to use an inferior service or inferior information ?

I think Devine clearly showed the best "complete package" RB we had this season when he was in. Enough speed to turn the corner, enough size to bully his way down the middle and get the tough yards when needed, and the agility to make the first 1-2 guys miss. Epley's testing listed Ozigbo as the best athlete this team has.

Since those who follow recruiting like to use 247's composite ranking (average of all 4 major recruiting services), Ozigbo was ranked the #56 RB coming out of high school. We should probably cut him from the team though, right?

No they don't.

I follow recruiting as much as anyone on this board and I use Rivals because they are the most accurate... period.

Why would anyone, if they actually care about the success of the program, want to use an inferior service or inferior information ?

Sponsored by Rivals.com

No they don't.

Sponsored by Rivals.com

Nope

Rivals themselves in not superior... it's their evaluation method that is superior... which in turn leads to the most accurate results.

No they don't.

Sponsored by Rivals.com

Nope

Rivals themselves in not superior... it's their evaluation method that is superior... which in turn leads to the most accurate results.

We should take a vote on Psycho's Bold Claim !!! :) Ok, maybe not

No they don't.

Oh Great One of Recruiting, I do wish you'd come share your wisdom in the recruiting forums, even if just once. :)

There's no such thing as an "accuracy" rating, whatsoever. So your statement is in fact just an opinion.

*For the record, my opinion is that 247's rankings and their composite ranking are much better than Rivals.

No they don't.

Sponsored by Rivals.com

Nope

Like you, Rivals was also pretty upbeat on the Mike Riley hire:

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

No they don't.

Sponsored by Rivals.com

Nope

Like you, Rivals was also pretty upbeat on the Mike Riley hire:

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

took us a 100 years to lose to Purdue, but MR way a way his first go round.