[Spoilers] Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

I don't care what Disney's explanation is. They could have done it many different ways. They did not have to do it this way. Of the many different ways Disney could have done it, this was not the best choice. No explanation of why they made the choice makes it a good choice.

The fact that they're even addressing it shows it's a valid concern. It should not have been done this way, but it was, and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

• Fire 1

That's kinda where I am too, zoogs. The movie is what it is at this point. I like It, I'm eager to see VIII, but instead of taking a full step forward this seems like half a step.

It's not the worst thing they could have done, and by a far sight it's a pretty good thing. I think this criticism will forever stick with the movie, but it'll be #43 on the list of things people talk about when they bring it up.

• Fire 1

I don't care what Disney's explanation is. They could have done it many different ways. They did not have to do it this way. Of the many different ways Disney could have done it, this was not the best choice. No explanation of why they made the choice makes it a good choice.

The fact that they're even addressing it shows it's a valid concern. It should not have been done this way, but it was, and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

tumblr_nt6zhtmPv61rv7596o1_500.gif

• Fire 1

I have a question unrelated to The Force Awakens, but the Star Wars universe in general.

To preface, I do understand that these are movies, they're fantasy. Things happen that don't necessarily need explaining because the characters and relationships are the more important part of the story.

Now, with that out of the way, has anybody ever wondered what the hell is up with the Millennium Falcon's gunner bays? The ladder to get to them is vertical in the ship, but when the gunners are sitting in them, they sit horizontally and can turn around to see one another. Technically, that means the bottom gunner on the ship would be sitting as if they were in a nose dive in an air plane and the top gunner would be sitting as if they were in a straight vertical climb. The gunners never struggle to sit comfortably in these positions, either.

Now, when Rey is piloting the Falcon on Jakku, she is making a lot of incredible maneuvers with Finn in the gunner bay, yet neither of them have any problem sitting comfortably in their chairs. The only struggling with the constant rotation is BB-8.

Without the "it's just a movie" explanation, anybody have any thoughts on this or know anything from reading the expanded universe? I assume there must be some type of artificial gravity wells built into different parts of the ship to allow this.

• Fire 1

I have a question unrelated to The Force Awakens, but the Star Wars universe in general.

To preface, I do understand that these are movies, they're fantasy. Things happen that don't necessarily need explaining because the characters and relationships are the more important part of the story.

Now, with that out of the way, has anybody ever wondered what the hell is up with the Millennium Falcon's gunner bays? The ladder to get to them is vertical in the ship, but when the gunners are sitting in them, they sit horizontally and can turn around to see one another. Technically, that means the bottom gunner on the ship would be sitting as if they were in a nose dive in an air plane and the top gunner would be sitting as if they were in a straight vertical climb. The gunners never struggle to sit comfortably in these positions, either.

Now, when Rey is piloting the Falcon on Jakku, she is making a lot of incredible maneuvers with Finn in the gunner bay, yet neither of them have any problem sitting comfortably in their chairs. The only struggling with the constant rotation is BB-8.

Without the "it's just a movie" explanation, anybody have any thoughts on this or know anything from reading the expanded universe? I assume there must be some type of artificial gravity wells built into different parts of the ship to allow this.

Artificial gravity is going to be the answer, but it doesn't explain why BB-8 is flying around like that.

My understanding from reading the Han Solo series and the Lando Calrissian series as a kid is that the gunner wells each have their own artificial gravity independent of the rest of the ship, which is why they appear so at ease in combat situations.

• Fire 1

Not really. It's not the highest grossing movie of all time with a 93% on RT and an 81% on Metacritic because there are some glaring legitimate concerns about the movie.

All that shows is that a lot of people on the internet these days just like to bitch and heavily criticize something just because everyone else loves it. Not saying that's you, but that's a lot of really pointless articles since the movie has come out. Gets them clicks and money, after all.

I guarantee no matter what this movie looked like, you'd have sites trying to get traffic by slamming it, and you'd have J.J. Abrams responding to criticisms. No matter what.

• Fire 2

Avatar earned more than $2.7 billion dollars worldwide. It has something like 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. It has had little to no cultural impact, and it's not a great movie.

Throwing out the money TFA has made as an argument of legitimacy falls flat.

Bottom line is, if you like this movie, fine. But don't get mad and rush to its defense when people offer legit criticisms of this show.

• Fire 1

Bottom line is, if you like this movie, fine. But don't get mad and rush to its defense when people offer legit criticisms of this show.

If you don't like it, fine, (even though you do), but don't rush to the conclusion that responding to criticism is indicative of some ~valid concerns~ about the way it was put together.

• Fire 1