Uh oh. Even coach Cav is calling out the OL.

lo country

It would appear that this staff is starting to openly challenge the guys to get tougher, nastier and stronger.

I think this is a great idea, like, last spring. I actually thought our OL did a respectable job this year @ pass pro: tied for 12th for sacks allowed(13ttl). Rushing offense not so great though, probably the lowest(71st/168 yds per) in my 1/2 century of fandom.

I will give A Lewis some credit, though, as he seemed to make some conscious effort to limit his penalties post Miami game, which he did, and all in all he was a valuable player for us during his tenure @ NU.

Epley already called them out. Cavanaugh (and Riley) are simply feeling the heat. As they should.

Agree 100%. This staff has been in place for years and must be held accountable for decades (since 2001) of mismanagement.

Yeah.

Because they've had THIS roster for decades. It's a little bit different coaching team of guys you brought in and trying to best utilize guys you're still getting to know.

Re: Cav, good. I'm tired of not being able to lean on our OL. It sucks. Great teams start there.

Now if he'd just play the guys who have the best chances at becoming all americans.

Even if they aren't ready?

Don't tell me there's nobody better on this team than Utter. If that's the case then we can just forget Husker football ever being good again.

Epley already called them out. Cavanaugh (and Riley) are simply feeling the heat. As they should.

Agree 100%. This staff has been in place for years and must be held accountable for decades (since 2001) of mismanagement.

Yeah.

Can you list some of this mismanagement - or is it just a generic comment to cover your agenda?

Now if he'd just play the guys who have the best chances at becoming all americans.

Don't tell me there's nobody better on this team than Utter. If that's the case then we can just forget Husker football ever being good again.

You can choose to go that route. Some of us are going to let the coaches get us back to being very good!!!

• Fire 1

You can choose to go that route. Some of us are going to let the coaches get us back to being very good!!!

The way I see it is this. I have a couple of options. First option; I can act like some of the people who have been banned here recently. I can rant and rave and no matter what happens, I'll blame the coaches and demand their removal every chance I get. My life will generally be miserable because of all the doom and gloom I'll be spouting. Second option; I can maintain a positive outlook even though we had a bad year. I can maintain hope for the future and be excited when signing day comes and then spring practice after that. I can be patient and understand that sometimes coaching transitions are a process. This option leaves me happier and more stress free in my daily life, so that's what I chose, but that's just me. biggrin1.gif

Hey, thanks for showing up and actually posting. I guess I did my job and helped Huskerboard today.

Sounds like what it comes down to, is we haven't had the staff or S/C coaches to build or train these kids, in a long time. Which is it ?

GBR!!!

I personally have struggled with understanding this myself. I really don't think a lacking S&C department has been the team's greatest downfall over the last 10-15 years. A lot of people locally and around the country had worked with the previous staff's S&C guy - Dobson - and had really good things to say about him.

I think some of the bigger factors at play have been in the recruiting and coaching realms. I have a lot of thoughts on these, but to summarize the first part, I think recent coaches have either missed out on bringing in recruits that could've made an impact or the recruits they did bring in never reached the potential fans and even coaches had for them. I don't like to call out individual players, but Andrew Rodriguez is a guy I look at here. A highly touted four star from Nebraska that appears, at best, to have made Honorable Mention All Big Ten team. And in terms of players the university has missed out on, Andrus Peat is a big name who is now in the NFL.

From a coaching perspective, I don't know if our technique/fundamentals ever really reached a consistent level either. I also don't think Nebraska has had a solid identity in years. It seemed like a lot of guys just weren't developing on the line or making the improvement you'd like to see. In my opinion, when your best offensive lineman in recent history is a former walk-on and nobody else even really holds his jock strap, that's a failure from the top down. The line needs to be better. That's not meant to disrespect Spencer Long, either. But, the Huskers really aren't in a position to rely on hoping against hope that their walk-ons will turn into potential All-Americans.

• Fire 1

Yeah.

Can you list some of this mismanagement - or is it just a generic comment to cover your agenda?

Pure sarcasm, hence the "yeah" and "right" at the end of my post. The poster I was responding to never misses a chance to take a shot at the new staff.

Yeah.

DJ Foster should be on the field.

Sounds like what it comes down to, is we haven't had the staff or S/C coaches to build or train these kids, in a long time. Which is it ?

GBR!!!

I personally have struggled with understanding this myself. I really don't think a lacking S&C department has been the team's greatest downfall over the last 10-15 years. A lot of people locally and around the country had worked with the previous staff's S&C guy - Dobson - and had really good things to say about him.

I think some of the bigger factors at play have been in the recruiting and coaching realms. I have a lot of thoughts on these, but to summarize the first part, I think recent coaches have either missed out on bringing in recruits that could've made an impact or the recruits they did bring in never reached the potential fans and even coaches had for them. I don't like to call out individual players, but Andrew Rodriguez is a guy I look at here. A highly touted four star from Nebraska that appears, at best, to have made Honorable Mention All Big Ten team. And in terms of players the university has missed out on, Andrus Peat is a big name who is now in the NFL.

From a coaching perspective, I don't know if our technique/fundamentals ever really reached a consistent level either. I also don't think Nebraska has had a solid identity in years. It seemed like a lot of guys just weren't developing on the line or making the improvement you'd like to see. In my opinion, when your best offensive lineman in recent history is a former walk-on and nobody else even really holds his jock strap, that's a failure from the top down. The line needs to be better. That's not meant to disrespect Spencer Long, either. But, the Huskers really aren't in a position to rely on hoping against hope that their walk-ons will turn into potential All-Americans.

I agree with much of what you say. I just wanted to reply in regard to the S&C is that it wasn't know-how that caused S&C to slip under Dobson imo, it was accountability. That starts with the HC. If the HC doesn't discipline or kick guys off the team that aren't busting their butt in S&C workouts then it takes the authority away from the S&C coach. Guys know they can coast without repercussions.

I believe that's why you saw a guy like Jake Cotton go from an agile, athletic OL early in his career to the less agile athlete he became by his senior year.

BwYyBKjIgAA12Ue.jpg

And why Kenny Bell put on 15 lbs of muscle in 2 months before the combine, instead of doing it in his 5 years here.

• Fire 1

The way I see it is this. I have a couple of options. First option; I can act like some of the people who have been banned here recently. I can rant and rave and no matter what happens, I'll blame the coaches and demand their removal every chance I get. My life will generally be miserable because of all the doom and gloom I'll be spouting. Second option; I can maintain a positive outlook even though we had a bad year. I can maintain hope for the future and be excited when signing day comes and then spring practice after that. I can be patient and understand that sometimes coaching transitions are a process. This option leaves me happier and more stress free in my daily life, so that's what I chose, but that's just me. biggrin1.gif

Why is it binary, though? Why is it either kool aid or doom and gloom? Why can't it be a little bit of both? Why can't someone say they like Riley's disposition, are encouraged that we were in every game this season, like what we're seeing from some position groups (LBs, WRs, DBs), and are liking the S&C program, but are a little bit worried about the offensive play-calling, personnel mismanagement, refusal to rotate linemen, etc.?

I think most sensible Husker fans were a little bit unsure about the Riley hire, became downright worried when he outfitted his staff with ineffective cronies from Oregon State, and full-on hit the panic button when this supposedly veteran staff was making game management mistakes that would cause a pimply faced Madden playing teenager do a face palm. That said, we want the program to succeed and are hopeful it will, but see some concerning issues that warrant mention if only because it's cathartic to voice our opinion, but also in the faint, perhaps unrealistic hope that someone important is listening and might take what the fans are seeing to heart.

• Fire 8

Yeah.

DJ Foster should be on the field.

Do you coach him? I hope he will have a good offseason and be good enough to start, but we seem to have an abundance of underachievers right now.