5-7

okaive

How would you feel if UCLA runs our team out of Santa Clara like a Wisconsin beatdown? Would the extra practices make it worthwhile?

Yes. It gets us closer to change.

No it doesn't. 2015 has already been chalked up as a loss and one more loss in a meaningless bowl game doesn't change anything. Riley will be around through at least 2017 barring something crazy like an 0-12 record in 2016.

It absolutely does. If we get embarrassed is not like we will forget about it next year. Look at bo. People kept a running count of his books outs. Plus the one thing Riley has done has been competitive even in big games.

I don't want Riley fired....right now at least

well they won. very good game.

These are stupid exhibition games that mean nothing to anyone but the teams playing in the games.

Anymore, there are really only 3 postseason games that mean anything to the big picture. Why would anyone care about the records of teams playing in the other games?

We got invited to a game that is played solely because they think they can make money on it (I have no idea if they really do). It only means something to us. I'm totally fine with it. These aren't your 1960s and 70s bowl games. There are a lot of games, and they have teams to play in them.

I disagree on them not meaning anything to anyone. We are drawing near the end of recruiting for this year. Being on National television, beating a good team says a lot about the program. Most see it as tenacity, will, strong desire, a leader on the field tonight in Tommy (and I am one of his largest critics) and Coach Riley on the side line. And I actually saw Coach Riley get in the refs face there on the side line. He has passion, it just boils over a little differently.

This game may bring that one superstar to the fold, we have no idea, but with out playing they don't see it. Nebraska was seen Nationwide tonight and the talking heads took note of it. Mark May (who I don't like a lot, but is normally spot on, said we could win, that we are much better team than the record showed) gives positives to the program. Tommy walking away with an MVP award is going to so much for his confidence and his desire to be better.

You take positives and turn them into more positives, it is much harder to take negatives and turn them into positives. This game may have been the turning point for Coach Riley/Tommy and Langs. Lets enjoy the win and let them know we appreciate their efforts

• Fire 8

Good post. In principle, it seems ridiculous to have 5-7 teams in a bowl. But last night was a lot of fun for Husker Nation and I am grateful for it. There is no question a bowl helps a program. An extra month of practice shortens the distance between the season and spring ball. National exposure certainly helps recruiting. Having the game in PAC 12 country is an extra benefit as this is Reilly's old stomping grounds to find talent. Is it all about money? Sure, but what isn't? Hopefully next year the narrative is far different for this team.

I disagree on them not meaning anything to anyone. We are drawing near the end of recruiting for this year. Being on National television, beating a good team says a lot about the program. Most see it as tenacity, will, strong desire, a leader on the field tonight in Tommy (and I am one of his largest critics) and Coach Riley on the side line. And I actually saw Coach Riley get in the refs face there on the side line. He has passion, it just boils over a little differently.

This game may bring that one superstar to the fold, we have no idea, but with out playing they don't see it. Nebraska was seen Nationwide tonight and the talking heads took note of it. Mark May (who I don't like a lot, but is normally spot on, said we could win, that we are much better team than the record showed) gives positives to the program. Tommy walking away with an MVP award is going to so much for his confidence and his desire to be better.

You take positives and turn them into more positives, it is much harder to take negatives and turn them into positives. This game may have been the turning point for Coach Riley/Tommy and Langs. Lets enjoy the win and let them know we appreciate their efforts

Good stuff. Easy to say this was the best game we played all year.

We should cut the bowls down to 25 + the playoff, 7-5 munimum.

This. 20, 25, Not sure what the right number is, but it is far from 40!

Will never happen. If anything, they will add more.

so true, it is all about the money to be made.

ESPN owns most of the bowls, especially the minor ones. They need live game inventory to air on their networks. Football is the biggest ratings sport, so ESPN wants to air as many football games as they can.

How would you feel if UCLA runs our team out of Santa Clara like a Wisconsin beatdown? Would the extra practices make it worthwhile?

Has any team not named Turdue done that to this team? I mean, even Wisconsin needed 2 game winning FG tries. Good grief man, enjoy the Holidays and a little football on a Saturday night.

You didn't watch the 2012 B1G Championship, I guess. or their RB hanging an NCAA record for yards in a game on us. I have had a great holiday break and will absolutely watch the game. But that doesn't mean I have to bury my head in the sand and claim that the team deserves to be playing...I don't and I won't, and neither do they. At this point, tonight's game is a gut check. I think they are playing for pride and pride only. Do they have what it takes to play a game and win...when there is nothing on the line and no more games tomorrow? When all they have is the motivation not to engrave the record books with a level of suck rarely seen. That's it. Major suck or minor suck, pick one. GBR

Not that I feel like admo should've needed to specify, but he was clearly talking about just this season.

I agree with what several people already said. The only postseason games that aren't just "participation trophy" games are the playoff games. Everything else is a consolation prize at best.

In Texas High schools, 3-7 make the playoffs every year. Its all about money. Thats the world we live in and we are to blame. For years we have heard everybody is a winner and hand out ribbons to every person so we don't make them sad. The bowl structure is set up to make us feel good about ourself. The more teams we have the more winners we have. We lost what a champion and a winner is a long time ago. We have no one to blame but ourselves. How many of us watched the game last night, loved the win but we did not deserve to be in a bowl game with a loosing record.

Good stat during the game:

NFL teams, NBA teams and NHL teams with losing records in the playoffs

Don't watch the games, and they won't schedule 40 anymore.

Personally I enjoyed watching these games

And the 5-7 teams are 2-0 so far, with Minnesota still to play.

I really didn't like this stat just because the bowl system is different in nature from the playoffs in professional sports. The stat is also flawed because 80/128 teams in college football make the postseason - if the professional sports allowed all teams outside of the bottom third to make the postseason you would see some truly terrible playoff teams on a regular basis (not that the NBA isn't already like this, often an ocean of talent disparity between the 1's and 8's, but who enjoys the NBA?).

You can argue there are too many bowl games.

With the current setup it is just awful that the NCAA uses academic performance to fill the "college" bowl game spots when not having enough eligible teams. /sarcasm

I wouldn't be upset if they reserved an annual bowl game for 5-7 teams based on academic performance. Give the schools a bonus for graduating players.

During the Miami/Wash St half time show, they are talking about next year that a 5-7 team will no longer be allowed in a bowl game.

Obviously Nebraska and a few others are lucky this year that the NCAA rules states that we can participate. Personally I believe that the rule should be changed. Not good enough to have a winning record, then sit at home and watch winners play. Enough of the participation trophies.

Your thoughts.

There are so many bowl games now that teams with losing records are bound to make appearances in bowls. If the NCAA doesn't want teams with losing records in bowls, then they need to reduce the number of bowls so that can never happen.