Schools easing athlete penalties for marijuana, report says

Lot of talk about pot...nothing about this statement?

"Did I know folks that were abusing it? Yeah, on different ends of the spectrum. I think you know what I mean, smoking and other performance-enhancing drugs," Gregory said. "Sometimes guys get lucky. The Big Ten comes in, we're testing steroids, might be a guy on steroids but he may say, `You know what, I don't think I'll be one of the 12 guys that they're testing out of the 100-and-how-many guys we have on the team.' And they'll get lucky and not get tested. It's kind of hit or miss, I think."

Steroids on the team? I'm not naive enough to think that they aren't being used - but wasn't that the narrative for years? "At least Bo runs a clean program and isn't cheating - our guys aren't getting paid, our recruiting is clean, no steroids, all the high GPA's are legit, yada, yada?" I think Nebraska needs to accept the fact that we aren't above the rest of the nation when it comes to college athletics and start to play the game at the same level as some of the others when it comes to these "built-in advantages". It's already going on, might as well be winning too.

Lot of talk about pot...nothing about this statement?

"Did I know folks that were abusing it? Yeah, on different ends of the spectrum. I think you know what I mean, smoking and other performance-enhancing drugs," Gregory said. "Sometimes guys get lucky. The Big Ten comes in, we're testing steroids, might be a guy on steroids but he may say, `You know what, I don't think I'll be one of the 12 guys that they're testing out of the 100-and-how-many guys we have on the team.' And they'll get lucky and not get tested. It's kind of hit or miss, I think."

Steroids on the team? I'm not naive enough to think that they aren't being used - but wasn't that the narrative for years? "At least Bo runs a clean program and isn't cheating - our guys aren't getting paid, our recruiting is clean, no steroids, all the high GPA's are legit, yada, yada?" I think Nebraska needs to accept the fact that we aren't above the rest of the nation when it comes to college athletics and start to play the game at the same level as some of the others when it comes to these "built-in advantages". It's already going on, might as well be winning too.

Truth be told, I would bet it is rampant in sports, at every level!

So, people don't want to take pills because they are addictive, but don't think marijuana is?

Sounds to me like some are just rationalizing their use of it.

Don't you know bongs filter out the addictive stuff? :sarcasm

More seriously though, anyone can become addicted to anything but Marijuana is not a highly addictive "drug", especially in comparison to pills.

• Fire 1

So, people don't want to take pills because they are addictive, but don't think marijuana is?

More seriously though, anyone can become addicted to anything but Marijuana is not a highly addictive "drug", especially in comparison to pills.

I saw a study that marijuana is less addictive than alcohol and sugar. In fact, sugar is very addictive and detrimental to the human body. The effects from consuming anything are highly dependent on the concentrations, frequency of use, and individual body chemistry, so it's difficult to put out a single number or level that is "bad" or "good" for everyone.

Cannabis isn't nearly as addictive as we've been lead to believe by the government. In fact, it's one of the least addictive drugs out there.

Heres' an article that talks about legitimate dangers not only of Cannabis but other drugs like alcohol and tobacco. (Technically nicotine is the drug in tobacco.) An excerpt from the article.

Of course, marijuana is not harmless either. Excessive use can lead to respiratory discomfort, although the drug itself has not been linked to lung damage. Studies have also shown cannabis can be addictive, however much less addictive than alcohol and even less than caffeine. That's not to say that marijuana can't be habit-forming:Between 4 and 9 percent of regular pot users can develop dependence on the drug, according to a frequently cited survey supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. That's compared with about 15 percent of drinkers who develop a dependence for alcohol.

Here's something else that I found interesting, in States that have legalized Cannabis deaths due to prescription painkillers are down 25%.

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medical-marijuana-painkiller-deaths-drop-25-266577

*Edit* There isn't a single documented case of a death caused by Cannabis.

+1 that made me laugh. :)

I find it hilarious in this article that Coach Riley seems to have pot smokers pegged out after being with them awhile. Being that he was from Oregon, I would have thought he would have had a head start on this kinda stuff; but it is ludicrous to blame players showing up late to practice as alleged pot users. Furthermore, I think it ain't cool that Gregory was having loose lips at whatever occurred. He has held UNL in enough negative light IMHO. But you would think liberal public Universities could get on the same page on this. Especially the "Power 5" conferences. It could be used as a recruiting tool too, in some conferences rather than others you know? If there is less of a penalty at some schools for a positive test it might encourage players to go there. I think some universal decision by the NCAA needs to be made to make it fair for all NCAA athletes!!!

Is it so strange, though? Chronic recreational marijuana users do sometimes give off tell tale signs of their use. Players spend more time with their head coach/coaches during the season than just about anyone else. I don't think it's very far-fetched to suggest he could peg the athletes using it.

As far as it being a recruiting tool, I don't think 'hey, if your son comes here, he'll be able to smoke pot and not have to really worry about getting in trouble' is going to go over well with many parents or many universities.

I would guess most parents don't even know if their child is using marijuana.

Cannabis isn't nearly as addictive as we've been lead to believe by the government. In fact, it's one of the least addictive drugs out there.

Heres' an article that talks about legitimate dangers not only of Cannabis but other drugs like alcohol and tobacco. (Technically nicotine is the drug in tobacco.) An excerpt from the article.

Of course, marijuana is not harmless either. Excessive use can lead to respiratory discomfort, although the drug itself has not been linked to lung damage. Studies have also shown cannabis can be addictive, however much less addictive than alcohol and even less than caffeine. That's not to say that marijuana can't be habit-forming:Between 4 and 9 percent of regular pot users can develop dependence on the drug, according to a frequently cited survey supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. That's compared with about 15 percent of drinkers who develop a dependence for alcohol.

Here's something else that I found interesting, in States that have legalized Cannabis deaths due to prescription painkillers are down 25%.

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medical-marijuana-painkiller-deaths-drop-25-266577

Sorry, I don't pay the slightest bit of attention to Huff Po articles.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive

Rising Potency

Marijuana potency, as detected in confiscated samples, has steadily increased over the past few decades.2 In the early 1990s, the average THC content in confiscated cannabis samples was roughly 3.7 percent for marijuana and 7.5 percent for sinsemilla (a higher potency marijuana from specially tended female plants). In 2013, it was 9.6 percent for marijuana and 16 percent for sinsemilla.16 Also, newly popular methods of smoking or eating THC-rich hash oil extracted from the marijuana plant (a practice called "dabbing") may deliver very high levels of THC to the user. The average marijuana extract contains over 50 percent THC, with some samples exceeding 80 percent. These trends raise concerns that the consequences of marijuana use could be worse than in the past, particularly among new users or in young people, whose brains are still developing (see "What are marijuana’s long-term effects on the brain?").

Football players are doing far, far, far greater damage to their bodies playing football, than they are smoking pot...

My .02

I think that's a fair point, though you could certainly argue varying degrees of damage based on the position they play and/or the amount of marijuana they use.

Sorry, I don't pay the slightest bit of attention to Huff Po articles.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive

Rising Potency

Marijuana potency, as detected in confiscated samples, has steadily increased over the past few decades.2 In the early 1990s, the average THC content in confiscated cannabis samples was roughly 3.7 percent for marijuana and 7.5 percent for sinsemilla (a higher potency marijuana from specially tended female plants). In 2013, it was 9.6 percent for marijuana and 16 percent for sinsemilla.16 Also, newly popular methods of smoking or eating THC-rich hash oil extracted from the marijuana plant (a practice called "dabbing") may deliver very high levels of THC to the user. The average marijuana extract contains over 50 percent THC, with some samples exceeding 80 percent. These trends raise concerns that the consequences of marijuana use could be worse than in the past, particularly among new users or in young people, whose brains are still developing (see "What are marijuana’s long-term effects on the brain?").

Maybe you should check the links in that Huffington Post article. There are links to actual studies.

What's really funny is your link supports the Huffington Post article on Cannibis addiction rates. Lol

Your information about higher potency levels is not new. For me it just means I need to use less to kill my pain which translates to being easier on my wallet.