Stanley Morgan

Mavric

Morgan has tremendous ability to track the football.

He has some great skills as well, but his intelligence on the field is what i am most excited about.

This WR crew excites me. DPE/Westy/Reilly/Moore/Morgan--- not to mention guys who redshirted/ guys coming in.

I am hoping to see them use Morgan/Reilly on the outsides and use Westerkamp in the slot.

No matter what they do, they have 5 legit WR's and that isnt even talking about Lane Hovey who gave legit minutes at times.

When people complained about throwing the ball so much I think people forgot what our strongest position on offense was

No doubt our WRs are the best athletes on the team, but you need to have someone who can get them the ball consistently. As much as I love what Armstrong brings to the table, he is just not a QB who you can trust to reliably throw the ball 30-40 times a game.

If we had a Joe Ganz or Zac Taylor back there throwing to this group of receivers and the offense putting up lots of yards and TDs, I think you'd see a lot less angst about our run-pass balance.

You would from me. I will always miss the mentality of " We are going to run the football & you cannot stop us".

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding catch. I really thought the receiver core was great all year. And very tough. Other than DPE's very legit, serious injury, you rarely saw a receiver come off the field dinged up. They did a good job in the run blocking game, too.

I have to disagree. It seemed like every time Reilly made a play he got dinged up and came off the field. I'm not saying he isn't tough, but it seemed like he limped off the field after every play. I do give him credit for always coming back strong. It was also frustrating to see Westy come off the field so often after he made a play. I think that has more to do with formations, but It seemed like he was only on the field every other play. But again, this isn't a knock on their play. This was probably the best position group on the team.

He has some great skills as well, but his intelligence on the field is what i am most excited about.

This WR crew excites me. DPE/Westy/Reilly/Moore/Morgan--- not to mention guys who redshirted/ guys coming in.

I am hoping to see them use Morgan/Reilly on the outsides and use Westerkamp in the slot.

No matter what they do, they have 5 legit WR's and that isnt even talking about Lane Hovey who gave legit minutes at times.

When people complained about throwing the ball so much I think people forgot what our strongest position on offense was

Which is great evidence of why recruiting heavily at WR isn't really that important.

Can't believe I missed this CM Husker gem. Gonna have to paste that one in the archives.

Anyway, I love Stanley Morgan, Jr., and not just because his potentially hot mom might be reading this. You could see his superstar tendencies immediately, and how he made the most of his limited opportunities. Can't say who I'd bench in his favor at the moment, not a bad problem to have, but to my eye he's better rounded at WR than DPE, and stands to have two years to himself as veteran leader of the WR corps.

In other matters, I suppose Tom Osborne's run-first offenses were not as reliant on receivers, and could have made excuses for not recruiting heavily at the position. Yet over the years Tom delivered some pretty good WRs into the NFL, including Tim Smith and Irving Fryar, and ball-catching tight ends like Junior Miller and Johnny Mitchell. More recently, guys like Niles Paul and Quincy Enunwa have been getting their touches in the pros. Good receivers have always helped Nebraska win games, and the position is not a dead end at Nebraska, regardless of the offense in vogue.

There are 2 players involved in a pass play...

The receiver and the thrower (usually the quarterback). Therein lies the problem.

With that said... we do have some darn good receivers.

I think Tommy makes a lot of great throws that help these WRs look like superstars.

He makes too many ill-advised throws, usually when he's trying to shoehorn a big play that isn't there.

But on balance, I wouldn't be so sure these receivers don't like playing for Tommy Armstrong.

And as good as they are, they've dropped their share of passes placed directly in their hands. Most recently a beautiful would-be TD Brandon Riley muffed against UCLA.

We could certainly use a more consistent passer. But our passing game could also use an Abdullah, Helu, Bulkhead (or Mike Rozier while we're at it) to loosen it up.

• Fire 1

Which is great evidence of why recruiting heavily at WR isn't really that important.

Can't believe I missed this CM Husker gem. Gonna have to paste that one in the archives.

Anyway, I love Stanley Morgan, Jr., and not just because his potentially hot mom might be reading this. You could see his superstar tendencies immediately, and how he made the most of his limited opportunities. Can't say who I'd bench in his favor at the moment, not a bad problem to have, but to my eye he's better rounded at WR than DPE, and stands to have two years to himself as veteran leader of the WR corps.

In other matters, I suppose Tom Osborne's run-first offenses were not as reliant on receivers, and could have made excuses for not recruiting heavily at the position. Yet over the years Tom delivered some pretty good WRs into the NFL, including Tim Smith and Irving Fryar, and ball-catching tight ends like Junior Miller and Johnny Mitchell. More recently, guys like Niles Paul and Quincy Enunwa have been getting their touches in the pros. Good receivers have always helped Nebraska win games, and the position is not a dead end at Nebraska, regardless of the offense in vogue.

You need good receivers in any offense. But having an offense that needs 3+ "elite receiver threats" is going to be hard to support over time. It is interesting that you bring up a local kid in Niles Paul. I remember him being often maligned as a receiver at NU, which I thought was completely unwarranted.

NU has been lucky to have such a high success rate with receivers as of late. But it would be interesting to track the running average number of kids signed to scholarships at each position going back to the 90s. My opinion: it's good to run a system that can rely on walkon receivers to provide the types of plays in the #2 and #3 WR spots that you need to be made in your offense. By doing so, you can reallocate those resources to other positions (that's not just the scholarship itself, but also the time and effort required to recruit).

Then, it's bonus production when you get "lucky" with a recruit, whether because you can convince him to come to a system that doesn't, on paper, highlight receivers or if you have a local elite athlete who wants to play for Nebraska.

If I have any time in my schedule, I may go through and track scholarships by position going back to the 1980s... I'm not even sure if we are signing that many more receivers than we have historically. But it feels like we are.

You need good receivers in any offense. But having an offense that needs 3+ "elite receiver threats" is going to be hard to support over time. It is interesting that you bring up a local kid in Niles Paul. I remember him being often maligned as a receiver at NU, which I thought was completely unwarranted.

NU has been lucky to have such a high success rate with receivers as of late. But it would be interesting to track the running average number of kids signed to scholarships at each position going back to the 90s. My opinion: it's good to run a system that can rely on walkon receivers to provide the types of plays in the #2 and #3 WR spots that you need to be made in your offense. By doing so, you can reallocate those resources to other positions (that's not just the scholarship itself, but also the time and effort required to recruit).

Then, it's bonus production when you get "lucky" with a recruit, whether because you can convince him to come to a system that doesn't, on paper, highlight receivers or if you have a local elite athlete who wants to play for Nebraska.

If I have any time in my schedule, I may go through and track scholarships by position going back to the 1980s... I'm not even sure if we are signing that many more receivers than we have historically. But it feels like we are.

I loved Niles as much as the next guy but he sure had some untimely drops and fumbles :facepalm: