Bowl game makes Riley believe in the run....

I honestly dont see this happening next year. Man it felt good watching that game against ucla. I just think that these guys are way to stuck in their way to change philosophy next season. Recruiting a pocket passer qb also tells me that a strong running game isn't in the cards next year. We will talk about the bowl game all offseason and then when week 5 rolls around we're all guna be like "what the f**k? Why are we throwing it 65% of th e time?"

I really hope im wrong. But I think langsdorf gets goose bumps watching a strong passing attack--the way most husker fans feel watching a power running game. I think in his mind, he wants to show Nebraska fans how it can work and be all great and everything. But the truth is we don't want to watch Usc/Oregon/ucla hiding in Nebraska uniforms. We want NEBRASKA to play in Nebraska uniforms. Blue collar football that we can be Damn proud of. You know, the way we all felt after the foster farms bowl

Honestly, why can't we have a strong power run game AND a lethal air attack?

Having a pure pocket passer under center does not negate the possibility of a power run game.

Limited reps in a week. Mainly.

And what is the obsession with wanting a "pure pocket passer"??? That's the most easily defended QB in college football. I just don't get why people ignore what experts (and offenses) continue to advocate?

What would be more accurate is, what's with the revulsion when one is mentioned?

Limited reps? Explain how Alabama does it then? Or any other team that has a power running game to go along with their better than average passing attack?

Fans would want more of a Stanford look.

Stanford was 77th in the country this year in passing... that's not what a lot of fans (and apparently this staff) want to be.

What I don't understand is why some have an aversion to a mobile QB.

Mobile quarterbacks can be a big asset but why are they a requirement?

I liked Osborne's power run offense, it was pretty awesome to watch, but that isn't the only offense that can work at NU. Even Callahan had a winning record here (obviously he didn't win enough and 2 losing seasons in 4 years is unacceptable) with a WCO. Osborne didn't run a power run offense his entire time as a coach at NU. In the late 60s and 70s he ran a pro style offense and we sent 3 quarterbacks to the NFL, one of whom played in the '79 Superbowl.

You should care how we score our points Joe. We need to open up the passing game by running the ball no matter who we are playing. Riley said as much. The numbers don't lie. Teams that can run the ball don't need a elite QB to win games. Alabama is living proof of that this year.

Several if not all of the most recent national championship teams in college football had really good run games and (I believe) had more rushing yards on the season than pass yards. 2004 USC is an exception, I believe.

Championships really are won on the lines of scrimmage and by running the football, in my opinion. That's where the commitment should be because it's a pretty tried and true method. If you can run the football, play physical and have a good defense, you'll always be in a position to be a really good team.

What about pass attempts vs run attempts? Were those teams running more than passing or just getting more rushing yards?

Without actually looking at any data my guess is they were much more balanced than people proposing a run first team would want. Osborne was the exception.

You should care how we score our points Joe. We need to open up the passing game by running the ball no matter who we are playing. Riley said as much. The numbers don't lie. Teams that can run the ball don't need a elite QB to win games. Alabama is living proof of that this year.

Several if not all of the most recent national championship teams in college football had really good run games and (I believe) had more rushing yards on the season than pass yards. 2004 USC is an exception, I believe.

Championships really are won on the lines of scrimmage and by running the football, in my opinion. That's where the commitment should be because it's a pretty tried and true method. If you can run the football, play physical and have a good defense, you'll always be in a position to be a really good team.

+1

/thread

/allthreads

• Fire 1

I don't buy it. Now that everything has settled in and after seeing the post game presser and Riley's body language while talking about the run game, it's all coach speak. He's not going to change his stripes. He's a pass first coach through and through. Don't be fooled. He was the same at Oregon State, too.

Can POB run or is he pretty much like a statue back there? Maybe wt a pure pocket passer, you can use the dink pass to the RB or a screen, etc - which technically are passes but mainly rely on running ability of the back. Remember we will also get DPE back next year. He should figure heavily in the run production from his WR spot - I see sweeps, reverses in the cards wt him back on the field. We forget how much he could have contributed to this team - perhaps a win or 2 for sure and less reliance on TA's arm.

I don't think too many guys at 18-22 are going to be a version of 38 year old Peyton Manning camping out in the pocket. Even Blaine Gabbert was mobile. They're 18-20 years old, they aren't statues. They can all scramble, and it's a lot easier to do so when the D has to respect your arm.

Well except for this guy

B7V5gZCCEAInw8W.jpg

Leftwich broke his leg but stayed in the game. He had to be carried to the next down spot.

I remember watching that game. It was the essence of toughness.

If our o-line could dominate every game in the same manner, the game plan would be very easy. UCLA was overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage and it still seemed to take MR a little while to warm up to this obvious match up advantage. When he faces teams designed to stop the run in the B1G, I am afraid he will quickly return to a pass first strategy. All that said, I don't think any team that is one dimensional will compete against top tier programs.

Since the BCS Era began on 2 teams have won a national championship with a 50/50 run pass ratios. They were Oklahoma and Florida St with Winston. The rest of the winners were between 57 to 70% run.

That is a good stat, but MSU pretty much shut down the Heisman winner last night and Alabama starting throwing rather effectively. The best coaches have the ability to identify and exploit matchup advantages. Of course, recruiting talent to do both is awfully important :D

Why exactly do you think Coker was able to throw the ball so well last night? Could it be because MSU was stacking the box to stop Henry leaving their DB's in single coverage? Did you happen to notice the rushing totals in the Clemson/Oklahoma game? Take a guess why Clemson won.

Why exactly do you think Coker was able to throw the ball so well last night? Could it be because MSU was stacking the box to stop Henry leaving their DB's in single coverage? Did you happen to notice the rushing totals in the Clemson/Oklahoma game? Take a guess why Clemson won.

Absolutely true, but the good teams are able to execute both when the run does set up the pass. There were years when we couldn't hit an open man if the receiver was the side of a barn.

And because MSU was still starting true freshman all over the secondary, weren't they? It was coverage break downs in one on one coverage that burned MSU. Not a surgical passing attack.

Since the BCS Era began on 2 teams have won a national championship with a 50/50 run pass ratios. They were Oklahoma and Florida St with Winston. The rest of the winners were between 57 to 70% run.

This isn't exactly hard to understand.....unless you're the Nebraska coaching staff.