Valentine declares for the draft

I can't emphasize this enough. For NFL guys, it's the 2nd contract that they are now playing for. That is where the big money is.

I feel like poor relations here, because I consider even practice squad wages as "big money."

I would not risk one season of that by getting injured while playing college ball for free when the only thing the college had to offer me (a diploma) was already in my back pocket. MINIMUM NFL salary is $450,000. That's a pretty good start for a 22 year old if his head is screwed on straight. If his head isn't screwed on straight, then he will blow up and blow through a $58 million contract like this one Texas quarterback we all know... :P

• Fire 1

I may be in the minority, but I think it was a prudent decision.

VV has fought injuries his entire career at Nebraska. I just don't see that miraculously changing if he chose to come back. In fact, he risked just the opposite, more damaging injuries that would negatively affect his draft stock. With the loss of Collins (and Gangwish), VV would have been asked to do a whole lot more next year. There is certainly some chance of upside in staying if he would have got healthier and had a breakout year. I just don't think the risk of coming back outweighs the potential benefits he can reap by leaving early. Also, he has already earned his degree to fall back on.

While you are still relatively healthy, go see what you can earn young man. Good luck!

I'm with you VV must at least have confidence that he can get some late round money and then get a chance to prove himself. He is injury prone and if he stays another year I think he would be hurt or stay the same, he doesn't seem like a player likely to have a breakout year that will vault him into the first round. He has NFL size and ability so he is smart to get paid to see if the NFL and develop him.

Hujan, your comparison to Suh is way off base. Suh was not considered a "late round pick" before his senior year. If anything, he was considered a late 1st to 2nd round pick. Yes, he benefited by coming back and having a dominant season, but Valentine is not Suh. VV will never dominate like Suh did. That's why I have been saying his ceiling has always been a 3rd-4th round pick. VV will get drafted and then hope to do well enough to get a 2nd contract in the NFL. The 2nd contract is where players are earning the big money in the NFL.

That's not how I remember it, but I'll take your word for it. All I remember is Suh was basically an above-average player after his junior year, nothing to necessarily get too excited about, then came out and dominated his senior year perhaps more than any other DT in the history of college football.

But I think it's funny that you're justifying VV's decision in a way that is probably completely counter to how he's justifying it. You think he is a mediocre draft pick and will always be a mediocre draft pick, so might as well get the show on the road now. I think VV has been told he's a 3rd round pick and he wants to sell while his stock is high. Your rationale is completely counter to what his apparent rationale is.

VV has fought injuries his entire career at Nebraska. I just don't see that miraculously changing if he chose to come back. In fact, he risked just the opposite, more damaging injuries that would negatively affect his draft stock. With the loss of Collins (and Gangwish), VV would have been asked to do a whole lot more next year. There is certainly some chance of upside in staying if he would have got healthier and had a breakout year. I just don't think the risk of coming back outweighs the potential benefits he can reap by leaving early. Also, he has already earned his degree to fall back on.

While you are still relatively healthy, go see what you can earn young man. Good luck!

Nothing says "NFL potential" like a guy who realizes he will have to step up for this team to succeed and decides to cut and run instead. Not saying that's his rationale, but if you're right that it was, that would concern me as an NFL GM. I would definitely put a check next to the "Looks for the easy way out" box.

I think you're taking it the wrong way; I don't think he's looking for the "easy way out." I think he is making the smartest decision for him. I don't think it is, "oh, Maliek is gone, I'm going to have to work harder and do more." I think it is, "my snaps are going to increase greatly, and in turn my chance of injury. Is the upside worth the risk knowing my injury history?" I think it is prudent for him to take 4th round money now rather than come back, risk injury, and maybe get 2nd or 3rd round money.

If those were the facts, I could understand it. But the reality is that VV will not go any higher than the 6th round. He hasn't exactly been a workout warrior and it's very hard to see him testing well at the combine. Not to mention that it is a very talent-rich year for DTs. In my view it's leave now and get drafted in the 6th round or come back hard your senior year and strive for a 2nd round spot.

But I think your first comment is exactly his fear: With Collins gone, VV knows that he is going to draw the double teams and be the focus of the opposing offensive line and therefore that his stats next year will likely be worse than this year, so he's got to sell while his stock is the highest its going to get. That's fine, but it does not portend a high draft slot or a long, successful career in the NFL.

Hujan, your comparison to Suh is way off base. Suh was not considered a "late round pick" before his senior year. If anything, he was considered a late 1st to 2nd round pick. Yes, he benefited by coming back and having a dominant season, but Valentine is not Suh. VV will never dominate like Suh did. That's why I have been saying his ceiling has always been a 3rd-4th round pick. VV will get drafted and then hope to do well enough to get a 2nd contract in the NFL. The 2nd contract is where players are earning the big money in the NFL.

That's not how I remember it, but I'll take your word for it. All I remember is Suh was basically an above-average player after his junior year, nothing to necessarily get too excited about, then came out and dominated his senior year perhaps more than any other DT in the history of college football.

But I think it's funny that you're justifying VV's decision in a way that is probably completely counter to how he's justifying it. You think he is a mediocre draft pick and will always be a mediocre draft pick, so might as well get the show on the road now. I think VV has been told he's a 3rd round pick and he wants to sell while his stock is high. Your rationale is completely counter to what his apparent rationale is.

Nothing says "NFL potential" like a guy who realizes he will have to step up for this team to succeed and decides to cut and run instead. Not saying that's his rationale, but if you're right that it was, that would concern me as an NFL GM. I would definitely put a check next to the "Looks for the easy way out" box.

I think you're taking it the wrong way; I don't think he's looking for the "easy way out." I think he is making the smartest decision for him. I don't think it is, "oh, Maliek is gone, I'm going to have to work harder and do more." I think it is, "my snaps are going to increase greatly, and in turn my chance of injury. Is the upside worth the risk knowing my injury history?" I think it is prudent for him to take 4th round money now rather than come back, risk injury, and maybe get 2nd or 3rd round money.

If those were the facts, I could understand it. But the reality is that VV will not go any higher than the 6th round. He hasn't exactly been a workout warrior and it's very hard to see him testing well at the combine. Not to mention that it is a very talent-rich year for DTs. In my view it's leave now and get drafted in the 6th round or come back hard your senior year and strive for a 2nd round spot.

But I think your first comment is exactly his fear: With Collins gone, VV knows that he is going to draw the double teams and be the focus of the opposing offensive line and therefore that his stats next year will likely be worse than this year, so he's got to sell while his stock is the highest its going to get. That's fine, but it does not portend a high draft slot or a long, successful career in the NFL.

Wow, I thought my posts were misconstrued around here. You've completely butchered and absolutely misstated the very posts you're quoting from ColoradoHusk.

so many, and I'll say it, anti-VV guys (guys who either down him for selfish reasons like they want him back to help the team or because they don't want to admit that Riley had a ****load of talent that was squandered) are absolutely blind to the reality of what VV is looking at in making his decision... "he's afraid to come back" and "won't be drafted" ... laughable.

God, I hate Husker message board fans.

I think he is leaving only for the money. No reason to stay as some say. The reason you stay is because you are a team member, and want the best for your team. Some kids think that way others don't. I see no real loss by him going. He has not totally embraced the team or the staff it appears from his comments.

Next man up.

Staying might improve his stock and it might improve his chances for a lengthy career, but there's plenty of risk involved. Most NFL careers are quite short. It's rare enough to get the opportunity to be at all. If he has a decent chance at being a mid-round pick, whether it's worth the risk or whether the timing's right, these are things only he can answer.

It's a bit much to say it's a character issue or a reflection of his attitude towards his teammates, etc. I wish as a Nebraska fan that he would've stayed, but a decision like this is quite personal.

• Fire 3

I think he is leaving only for the money. No reason to stay as some say. The reason you stay is because you are a team member, and want the best for your team. Some kids think that way others don't. I see no real loss by him going. He has not totally embraced the team or the staff it appears from his comments.

Next man up.

So, you've never left a job for a better opportunity elsewhere? I don't see how VV is being selfish, and what is wrong with leaving to the NFL to make money? People go to college in order to get a degree and make more money in the real world. VV has his degree and he is hoping to earn a lot of money in the NFL. I see nothing wrong with his decision.

• Fire 3

Next man up.

So, you've never left a job for a better opportunity elsewhere? I don't see how VV is being selfish, and what is wrong with leaving to the NFL to make money? People go to college in order to get a degree and make more money in the real world. VV has his degree and he is hoping to earn a lot of money in the NFL. I see nothing wrong with his decision.

I'm sure you felt the same way about Petteway and Pitchford leaving early as well :facepalm:

Next man up.

I'm sure you felt the same way about Petteway and Pitchford leaving early as well :facepalm:

I actually didn't care about Petteway and Pitchford leaving. If a guy has his college degree and doesn't see what he can gain from spending another year in college, I don't see any reason for him to come back.

Petteway wasn't going to turn himself into an NBA star overnight. Now, he is in the NBADL, playing 3-4 nights a week, and practicing every day with NBA-style coaches.

I'm not sure what Pitchford is doing, but he was never going to make it in the NBA. I'm sure he's playing in Europe or Asia and make decent money.

I just don't get the idea of staying with your college team, just because you have eligibility left.

• Fire 4