Husker S&C, Janovich

C N Red

I would prefer a standing broad jump, more posterior chain focus, rather than VJ but either one helps to test neural speed and strength/weight ratio. Both of which are valid measures of power production.

Do Husker football players squat high or low bar? Interesting question, significant difference, I have no idea what they actually do.

This is no joke but after talking to and reading tons of things...this is what a lot of coaches look for to see who is an athlete..

1. Can you run at full speed and jump

2. Can you run at full speed and turn your head and not have your head "bobbing" up and down

No...the VJ probably has nothing to do with the reaction of an OL off the ball...The VJ is not tested (that i have ever seen) off of a snap count.

He's obviously talking about how quickly they explode from their stance given that they've heard the snap. Not how fast they react to a noise.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other...like for instance...being great at "slap jack" probably doesn't mean you are great at the VJ...

Exactly. Reacting to the snap has nothing to do with VJ, which no one is claiming.

No...the VJ probably has nothing to do with the reaction of an OL off the ball...The VJ is not tested (that i have ever seen) off of a snap count.

He's obviously talking about how quickly they explode from their stance given that they've heard the snap. Not how fast they react to a noise.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other...like for instance...being great at "slap jack" probably doesn't mean you are great at the VJ...

Exactly. Reacting to the snap has nothing to do with VJ, which no one is claiming.

Okay, thanks

Where does the notion come from that they weren't being held accountable previously? Some obsessive need to pillory the previous staff?

If you listen to the interview, it sounds like they had a lot of accountability under Bo, then slacked when Riley came in with a "lighter touch" and then responded again when they were punished for slacking (up downs with a plate).

This is a decent discussion about s&c philosophies. No need to paint one staff or the other as "slackers" or otherwise ill informed.

There is a difference in being held accountable with Bo and with Dobson. They might have been held accountable with Bo but they were not with Dobson.

Where does the notion come from that they weren't being held accountable previously? Some obsessive need to pillory the previous staff?

If you listen to the interview, it sounds like they had a lot of accountability under Bo, then slacked when Riley came in with a "lighter touch" and then responded again when they were punished for slacking (up downs with a plate).

This is a decent discussion about s&c philosophies. No need to paint one staff or the other as "slackers" or otherwise ill informed.

There is a difference in being held accountable with Bo and with Dobson. They might have been held accountable with Bo but they were not with Dobson.

If they would have been held accountable by Dobson they would have had 10-12 wins each year! That lazy prick

And not doing snatches, which can be hard on shoulders and other joints, is fairly common. Maybe they are treating it like cross fit and using light weight for cardio. But generally, most strength programs deal mainly in power cleaning for atheletic development. There's not a hell of a lot of benefit on the football field for being able to do full snatches.

You trash everything that has happened since December 2014 and now you're Dobson's right hand man.

You're hilarious.

Edit: and you're able to address the usefulness of the Olympic snatch lift to playing football.....even better.

• Fire 6

Until Riley wins some games, it is going to be difficult to have credibility behind criticism. I'm sure there are many things Pelini and his staff could have done better. But Riley is doing himself....and his staff....no favors by not winning.

Sounds like this team is also not completely mature enough to police themselves to weed out the egos on the team. Don't like hearing kids talking about how they should have played more or they should be starting over someone. The lack of attitude and effort in practice, showing up late, etc. It's more meaningful if players are chewing teammates out and holding them accountable. Coaches only have so much impact.

If you have players thinking they are better than the teammates getting playing time, I would say I contribute a portion of that attitude to lack of competition during practices. It should be a no brainer who they players are and it should be the backups job to work up to their level.

• Fire 1

Sounds like this team is also not completely mature enough to police themselves to weed out the egos on the team. Don't like hearing kids talking about how they should have played more or they should be starting over someone. The lack of attitude and effort in practice, showing up late, etc. It's more meaningful if players are chewing teammates out and holding them accountable. Coaches only have so much impact.

If you have players thinking they are better than the teammates getting playing time, I would say I contribute a portion of that attitude to lack of competition during practices. It should be a no brainer who they players are and it should be the backups job to work up to their level.

I agree with your statement 100% with the exception of the bolded part. I think to be an elite athlete (heck, elite anything) you need to be inherently selfish whether that's reps in practice, film room study, whatever. I have no issue with players chirping saying they are the best and should be playing. Now, if you're chirping about wanting to play more and you aren't outworking or putting in the time needed to unseat the starter, then you need to pipe down.

Of course the irony is, Jano expressed feeling the exact same way last year (I.e., that he should have been getting more playing time).

Your second paragraph makes no sense to me. I'll just say that all highly competitive people want to be and think they should be first string.

Of course the irony is, Jano expressed feeling the exact same way last year (I.e., that he should have been getting more playing time).

Your second paragraph makes no sense to me. I'll just say that all highly competitive people want to be and think they should be first string.

I hear ya and can agree, but the way I took his comments were that those upset weren't deserving of playing time. I'm fine with kids wanting to think they should be out there on Saturdays, but i also hope they are out working the players ahead of them.