NU Need for Solid Backup QB

As I posted in the recruiting forum thread about this, here is where we would stand in 2017 w/ regard to QBs

Bush - Jr

Darlington - Jr

POB - Fr/So

2017 QB Commit - Fr

Looking at that, I would say having a QB with D1 starting experience would be a plus as either a #2 or as someone who you may need to start.

• Fire 1

Although Tommy Armstrong made more than enough mistakes this year, he did improve. Surely, POB and the other QBs can give us some back up snaps so absent a major injury taking our starter out of a number of games or season ending kind of thing, I feel we can be adquate at the QB position. I am not sure a transfer from Tulane is all that helpful but I have not seen the kid play of course. I tend to agree that recruiting should be focused on 'starters' and not backups.

We need starting caliber players at each and every position frankly. You want 'co number ones' across the board followed by a solid number two as your 'three' for a back up. There should be no less than 3 deep at every position and 4 deep at LB, RB and DL and DE. If we are going to rely on the pass game so much, we need three deep at the receiver spots. We need two solid place kickers and punters.

I'm not trying to say we don't need a capable starter, but the backup shouldn't be ignored either. Simply put, we need more quality depth at QB.

That's probably something we can all agree with. A lot of it falls on recruiting to your system and then molding players into what you need them to be. There have been problems in both areas in recent years; or, at the very least, problems molding players into what they need them to be. Guys like Cody Green and Tommy Armstrong were exciting recruits on paper. Though TA's story has to be finished, Green never really reached a level he needed to be successful here, and Armstrong did not develop this past season as I'm sure many of us thought he might.

I'm not trying to say we don't need a capable starter, but the backup shouldn't be ignored either. Simply put, we need more quality depth at QB.

That's probably something we can all agree with. A lot of it falls on recruiting to your system and then molding players into what you need them to be. There have been problems in both areas in recent years; or, at the very least, problems molding players into what they need them to be. Guys like Cody Green and Tommy Armstrong were exciting recruits on paper. Though TA's story has to be finished, Green never really reached a level he needed to be successful here, and Armstrong did not develop this past season as I'm sure many of us thought he might.

The biggest problem with Cody Green was our pi$$ poor development. We had a guy from Texas around where Green played high school ball that posted here way back then that stressed Green needed a lot of coaching up and development particularly because he missed his entire junior year due to injury. When you look at the scads of QB recruits Bo brought in and how poor they ended up being, you can't tell me there was any real development going on. His staff should have been able to make a player out of at least one of them. Heck, Martinez had to get outside coaching just to develop. We wasted a lot of schollies on QB recruits.

In 2009 we were a QB away from a lot more than just a conference title

That is the absolute truth. That year could have been special.

Even if Lee were healthy, I give us two more wins (ISU, Texas)
we weren't beating isu that day. Everytime we got inside the 20, we fumbled.

I guess we're assuming ZD will never see thew field as a Husker, is that true? Anyway, I'm not opposed to bringing in a competent hired gun @ the position, though I haven't completely given up on Fyfe either.

ZD will never play, JMO. Fyfe is a senior this season, so he is gone in 2017. I think the coaches are looking for another option for 2017 to compete with POB or be a veteran backup.

The biggest problem with Cody Green was our pi$$ poor development. We had a guy from Texas around where Green played high school ball that posted here way back then that stressed Green needed a lot of coaching up and development particularly because he missed his entire junior year due to injury. When you look at the scads of QB recruits Bo brought in and how poor they ended up being, you can't tell me there was any real development going on. His staff should have been able to make a player out of at least one of them. Heck, Martinez had to get outside coaching just to develop. We wasted a lot of schollies on QB recruits.

I agree, that's why I said they had problems molding players into what they needed them to be aka developing them. We see schools across the college football landscape managing to turn quarterbacks into elite players who commit minimal turnovers and can make big plays. It hasn't happened at Nebraska for a long, long time. Too long. It's one of the biggest reasons, imo, the team hasn't won a conference title since 1999. That and relatively average offensive line play.

I guess we're assuming ZD will never see thew field as a Husker, is that true? Anyway, I'm not opposed to bringing in a competent hired gun @ the position, though I haven't completely given up on Fyfe either.

ZD will never play, JMO. Fyfe is a senior this season, so he is gone in 2017. I think the coaches are looking for another option for 2017 to compete with POB or be a veteran backup.

Really bothers me about ZD, I thought he could be a good one for us. Hmm, QB position is suddenly looking pretty thin for '17, I hope they get it figured out.

All we needed was one guy to make a play, we held em to 9 friggin points.

Really bothers me about ZD, I thought he could be a good one for us. Hmm, QB position is suddenly looking pretty thin for '17, I hope they get it figured out.

That's why they are bringing in that kid from Tulane. Riley is eyeing him as the backup QB for '17 and maybe '18 if he gets another year of eligibility.

All we needed was one guy to make a play, we held em to 9 friggin points.
Niles Paul made that play, then he flexed his bicep and God said it shall not be.

That's why they are bringing in that kid from Tulane. Riley is eyeing him as the backup QB for '17 and maybe '18 if he gets another year of eligibility.

Montana's kid? Might have to go up against The Hat(LSU) for him.