Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Spoilers for Episode 7)

38 minutes ago, Redux said:

The fact that you stated the above proves that time is a best friend to a Star Wars film.  Even 5 years ago that statement would have gotten shredded apart.

Ep. I is still terrible. Ep. III was always really good and has 3 of my favorite scenes in Star Wars. Maybe my 3 favorites.

(I always liked Ep. II even though it had some really cheesy moments 'cause Hayden Christensen was really cute).

It is and always will be:

III

I

II

In that order.  EP. II could have been so much more, and the whole prequel trilogy suffered solely off of it's overall cheesiness and awkwardness.  And for the record I kinda still like it and don't completely hate Haydens portrayal in the film.  Vader was always supposed to be an awkward youth with anger and emotion, people just didn't want to see it.  Only a big name actor wouldn't have been s#!t on in that role.

EP. I hurt itself with too much down time in the senate and obviously Jar Jar.  It has one of the greatest lightsaber duels in history.  I wasn't a fan of the Anakin taking down the donut death star either.

EP. III is fantastic, very little I dislike about it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

It is and always will be:

III

I

II

In that order.  EP. II could have been so much more, and the whole prequel trilogy suffered solely off of it's overall cheesiness and awkwardness.  And for the record I kinda still like it and don't completely hate Haydens portrayal in the film.  Vader was always supposed to be an awkward youth with anger and emotion, people just didn't want to see it.  Only a big name actor wouldn't have been s#!t on in that role.

EP. I hurt itself with too much down time in the senate and obviously Jar Jar.  It has one of the greatest lightsaber duels in history.  I wasn't a fan of the Anakin taking down the donut death star either.

EP. III is fantastic, very little I dislike about it.

I was just thinking this the other day. He actually did a good job. In reality Vader is akward and impulsive. It makes sense that the nastiest villan was a whiny little brat that was too c$%ky and impatient for his own good.

Watched TLJ last night. It was ok. A good action film and not bad for a Star Wars film. I actually liked Luke's role a lot. I just thought him becoming one with the force at the end was stupid and kills a potentially epic next movie. Also flying Lea was stupid. It kinda choked me up when the Falcon comes to the rescue but Han isn't there barking out orders and working his magic. That sucks.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Came here to say this.  For whatever issues the prequels had, that Qui-Gon/Darth Maul/Obi-Wan battle was epic.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Came here to say this.  For whatever issues the prequels had, that Qui-Gon/Darth Maul/Obi-Wan battle was epic.

Which makes it even more disappointing that EP. II was so comedic/awkward/boring most the time.  The movies shouldn't have been the start of the Clone Wars, it should have been the focal point.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Episodes that were good/great: 4 and 5

Episodes that were decent: 6 and 7

Episodes that sucked: 3

Episodes that absolutely sucked hard: 1, 2, and 8

That is all.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of 8, and plenty of room for differences of opinions as to how good it is, but to lump it on par in quality with 1 and 2 is completely nuts imo.

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That is all.

Just not accurate.  3 is really good, and if I'm being complletely honest it's probably better than 4 when you take off the rose colored blinders.

12 hours ago, Redux said:

Just not accurate.  3 is really good, and if I'm being complletely honest it's probably better than 4 when you take off the rose colored blinders.

3 isn't good. They somehow managed to make a lightsaber duel boring. And then there's the stupidest character change ever:

Aanakin: I'm not bad.

Palpatine: Yes, you are.

Anakin: Ok, let's murder some kids. I mean, as an expecting father that's totally in character, right?

Just awful.

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That is all.

It's what happens when you can afford to get really lazy with your storytelling because you know that your base audience is going to make the show a huge hit no matter what you put on screen.

Ep 8 could have been Jawas cleaning womp rats out of their sandcrawler's engine block and it'd have been a box office hit.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Redux said:

3 is really good, and if I'm being complletely honest it's probably better than 4 when you take off the rose colored blinders.

If it wasn't for the fact that we live in a political age where the sheer frequency of lies and absurdity has started to desensitize us from such BS, this horrible statement might be shocking. 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If it wasn't for the fact that we live in a political age where the sheer frequency of lies and absurdity has started to desensitize us from such BS, this horrible statement might be shocking. 

A New Hope is fairly drull when compared to III from an action and storytelling vantage point.  I'm fine being in the minority on this one, it just kinda goes to show how unfairly everything after ROTJ was judged.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

3 isn't good. They somehow managed to make a lightsaber duel boring. And then there's the stupidest character change ever:

Aanakin: I'm not bad.

Palpatine: Yes, you are.

Anakin: Ok, let's murder some kids. I mean, as an expecting father that's totally in character, right?

Just awful.

Which one, the Obi Wan vs Vader duel?  On Lava?  You're joking right?

I mean if you'd rather think Vader was born half robot and solely evil with zero conflict in his heart then so be it.  But he doesn't even make it theough 2 original movies without showing his inner conflict of being good and evil simultaneously.

26 minutes ago, Redux said:

Which one, the Obi Wan vs Vader duel?  On Lava?  You're joking right?

I mean if you'd rather think Vader was born half robot and solely evil with zero conflict in his heart then so be it.  But he doesn't even make it theough 2 original movies without showing his inner conflict of being good and evil simultaneously.

You mean the 45 minute snooze-fest of a fight that has no stakes because we already know who wins? I mean, Lucas threw falling stuff, lava, and lava-surfboards (how ridiculous was that?) in there just to keep the audience from falling asleep. The fight could have been WAY more interesting if there were some stakes - like if Anakin wasn't fully evil and was more conflicted like he was in episodes 5 and 6. Then Obi-wan drawing the fight out for a long time to try to convert him back at least makes sense.

I didn't think Vader was born that way given we've both seen Anakin for 2.5 movies up to that point and we know Anakin becomes Darth Vader and we've already seen Vader and his redemption story. It's one of the classic pitfalls of telling a prequel. The fact Lucas tries to play up the big "reveals" of Palpatine being Sidious and Anakin becoming Vader show just how terrible of a storyteller he is. The prequels absolutely fall flat on the thing most important to them: character development. Prequels need to have interesting character development because the basics of the plot and how it ends are already known. And the plot is about the fall of Anakin Skywalker, so it hinges very heavily on that character.

• Plus1 2

George Lucas is a poor storyteller so the prequels sucked even with added excitement, but A New Hope isn't boring in a lot of parts because Lucas used to be a good storyteller?  So much catch 22.

It's fine if you don't want to like them, but let's not pretend it's solely based off of their shortcomings.  It's the same problem 7, 8 and ultimately 9 have.  A core fanbase with a preconceived idea of what they want knowing full well it's not rational to expect it and still s#!tting on the final product when said expectations aren't met.