Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

Maybe we could just all agree it was a collective screw up instead of trying to apply different levels of blame to everyone involved? TA admitted a mistake and the coaches didn't handle the situation very well.

There's a phrase that comes to mind now...

bridge.jpg

• Fire 5

Coaches have to be really careful to put Tommy in a situation where he can't make a mistake. I love Tommy, but his situation awareness isn't the best ... and you want your QBs to have that. I don't remember too many plays but the other one I'm thinking of is this 4th & 2 or whatever, and Tommy chucks up a longshot fade to the corner of the endzone.

The goal, ultimately, is to have a QB that has a good sense of things on the field. That comes with a lot of time spent both coaching and learning.

Thankyou Elf and Sargon for conveying better things I was thinking. I tend to get worked up from cm and can't properly express things I want to.

Agree completely that Tommy has a tendency to make those live fire mistakes, deny it all you want or blame it on Riley but the fact of the matter is they were issues long before then 2015 season.

The 3rd and 7 was a total mess. If a time iut saves it then it's too bad we didn't call it. I don't remember the formation being wrong because I was more shocked at how badly the play broke down. The blame doesn't rest solely on TA there, but not assigning him any is pretty short sighted.

If I remember correctly the formation wasnt wrong, but Tommy forgot to send someone in motion. That is on Tommy. It would be hard for the coaches to foresee him not being able to send a guy in motion before he snapped it. Cluster all around. Bad play, bad execution, and bad call. That play also helped cost us the Wisconsin game when we just forfeited our last possession and put the game in the hands of our porous pass defense. But enough about that. How about our QB's this spring, eh?
That's not the account from carter. They also got to the line with 3 seconds on the play clock. There was no time to put anyone in motion. Coaches in the press box should have easily recognized that a timeout was appropriate to get things squared away.

The video has been posted a few times now.

Then why is Cethan watching Tommy the whole time? If he is arc releasing, why would he be watching Tommy's feet?
He's watching the snap of the ball from that position. It was loud in the stadium.

And he actually did arc release; he also said he lined up wrong after the game (or Langs mentioned it).

There was 40,000 people, and at least half of that was Husker fans. I doubt it was so loud he couldn't hear the cadence.

Maybe not. I bet if you look at that formation on most plays out of it, that's where the h-backs eyes are.

• Fire 2

Coaches have to be really careful to put Tommy in a situation where he can't make a mistake. I love Tommy, but his situation awareness isn't the best ... and you want your QBs to have that. I don't remember too many plays but the other one I'm thinking of is this 4th & 2 or whatever, and Tommy chucks up a longshot fade to the corner of the endzone.

The goal, ultimately, is to have a QB that has a good sense of things on the field. That comes with a lot of time spent both coaching and learning.

I've seen Tommy make a lot of smart and instinctual plays too. His play against Michigan for the win as a freshman (?) comes to mind.

People put too much emphasis on his supposedly awful decisions and forget he makes at least as many great plays too.

• Fire 3

Any new updates?

When I hear that the defense comes up with INTs in scrimmages and practices, I think of two things: 1.) Heard this happening last spring and yet the defense didn't do well picking off their opponent's passes just as frequently, and 2.) uh, oh, ... here we go again :(

But our O threw plenty of interceptions last year.

Yeah, he makes great plays as well.

I'm not trying to tear Tommy down at all, he's one of my favorite players. I'm just saying, at the QB position, there's high import placed on eliminating those sorts of mistakes. It's the area of his game that if Tommy can square away, he'll be phenomenal. But we may just have to take the good with the bad; a gunslinger's mentality is a double-edged sword. As Brett Favre fans will know ;)

Thankyou Elf and Sargon for conveying better things I was thinking. I tend to get worked up from cm and can't properly express things I want to.

Agree completely that Tommy has a tendency to make those live fire mistakes, deny it all you want or blame it on Riley but the fact of the matter is they were issues long before then 2015 season.

The 3rd and 7 was a total mess. If a time iut saves it then it's too bad we didn't call it. I don't remember the formation being wrong because I was more shocked at how badly the play broke down. The blame doesn't rest solely on TA there, but not assigning him any is pretty short sighted.

If I remember correctly the formation wasnt wrong, but Tommy forgot to send someone in motion. That is on Tommy. It would be hard for the coaches to foresee him not being able to send a guy in motion before he snapped it. Cluster all around. Bad play, bad execution, and bad call. That play also helped cost us the Wisconsin game when we just forfeited our last possession and put the game in the hands of our porous pass defense. But enough about that. How about our QB's this spring, eh?
That's not the account from carter. They also got to the line with 3 seconds on the play clock. There was no time to put anyone in motion. Coaches in the press box should have easily recognized that a timeout was appropriate to get things squared away.

Then why is Cethan watching Tommy the whole time? If he is arc releasing, why would he be watching Tommy's feet?
He's watching the snap of the ball from that position. It was loud in the stadium.

And he actually did arc release; he also said he lined up wrong after the game (or Langs mentioned it).

There was 40,000 people, and at least half of that was Husker fans. I doubt it was so loud he couldn't hear the cadence.

Maybe not. I bet if you look at that formation on most plays out of it, that's where the h-backs eyes are.

Not correct again. Watched some of the Mich St game and the only time I saw in the first few drives where it looks like they glanced back is when they are crossing the formation. The H-back looks forward to see what is in front of him. He uses his ears to hear the snap count and his eyes to see what in the world the defense is doing or where they are at.

Here's the play, for people wanting to refresh their memory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ5ovK30G0?t=2h13m36s

One thing people are forgetting is that Jano fumbled on the previous play. The refs ruled him down by forward progress stopped, but everyone was still checking out the replay board as the offensive lined up.

It was an ugly play on all accounts, with plenty of blame to go around.

Rewatching it, I can't help but think TA should have just taken the sack.

Should have kicked the FG on 4th down.

Not correct again. Watched some of the Mich St game and the only time I saw in the first few drives where it looks like they glanced back is when they are crossing the formation. The H-back looks forward to see what is in front of him. He uses his ears to hear the snap count and his eyes to see what in the world the defense is doing or where they are

I can't believe we are having this argument. Take a look at other receivers. They all look down the line for the snap. Your eyes are active, but when you are in that 45 deg stance, your eyes go down the line toward the QB. We know he wasn't confused by the lack of motion because he immediately ran his wheel route upon the snap.

In regard to this specific play, we have coaches and players saying he was out of position. Whether that was due to not having time to go in motion or lining up wrong initially, an alert coach in the box should have relayed the issues to the sideline so a timeout could be had. There was absolutely nothing lost in calling a timeout. It's basic basic stuff.

I don't care that they made a mistake on that play. It was hardly the only reason NU lost to Illinois that day. But to say that their mistake was less than or not directly contributory to Tommy's "mistake" of trying to get a first down on 3rd and 7 is misguided, imo.

• Fire 4

I've seen Tommy make a lot of smart and instinctual plays too. His play against Michigan for the win as a freshman (?) comes to mind.

People put too much emphasis on his supposedly awful decisions and forget he makes at least as many great plays too.

Trying to think of those great plays against Iowa this last year. Tommy is the type of player that makes you drop your jaw whether its good or bad. QBs have to be steady and that's something he has struggled with immensely.

Not correct again. Watched some of the Mich St game and the only time I saw in the first few drives where it looks like they glanced back is when they are crossing the formation. The H-back looks forward to see what is in front of him. He uses his ears to hear the snap count and his eyes to see what in the world the defense is doing or where they are

I can't believe we are having this argument. Take a look at other receivers. They all look down the line for the snap. Your eyes are active, but when you are in that 45 deg stance, your eyes go down the line toward the QB. We know he wasn't confused by the lack of motion because he immediately ran his wheel route upon the snap.

In regard to this specific play, we have coaches and players saying he was out of position. Whether that was due to not having time to go in motion or lining up wrong initially, an alert coach in the box should have relayed the issues to the sideline so a timeout could be had. There was absolutely nothing lost in calling a timeout. It's basic basic stuff.

I don't care that they made a mistake on that play. It was hardly the only reason NU lost to Illinois that day. But to say that their mistake was less than or not directly contributory to Tommy's "mistake" of trying to get a first down on 3rd and 7 is misguided, imo.

Just like to argue with you, but a WR it about 20 yards farther away from the ball than an H-back. That might play into a bit.

If you want to argue, a WR is usually about 10 yards further away, considering the field only 50 yards wide and assuming the ball is set in the middle of the field. The H back is about 10 yards from the QB in that senario.

Anyway, I think you can find plenty of examples where the H-Back, in that kind of stance, has his eyes down the line, not up field.

It's all academic, though, because we know what happened on this play from the coaches and players' accounts.

• Fire 2