Spring Position Battles - Defensive Line

Mavric

I think our o line is better (more powerful maybe a better word) than last year and obviously we lost 4 big strong DTs so the guys out there were pretty raw and untested against a big line. They will come around. But we need some guys to back them up so our first unit guys get a dozen or so snaps each half of rest time. Not sure we have anyone ready but will need Parrella to really work some magic and find a way. Those guys are the KEY to 2016 season! Good D line play and we will win the west division of the Big Ten in my view. All the other pieces are there to make it. We need good luck (we've had several years of bad luck the past couple so we are due). Banker wants and expect and needs a bunch from the big boys and I think he believes we have some great ones coming on but wants to keep pushing like crazy to make them into the best.

• Fire 1

Pleasantly surprised with Neal and Newell. Davis twins will be studs in due time but Neal and Newell are going to be key for depth. Don't forget the caliber of recruit Newell was, he's finally physically maturing. Alex Davis is still a year away, imo...possibly a 3rd down rush guy but he isn't really refined with his moves yet. Of course there is a lot of time till Fresno. Really think Neal is going to grow into an freak, if the work ethic is there.

I kinda like our top 4 at DT. They're young and inexperienced but there's some real talent/athleticism there.

If Newell can keep coming that would give us 5. Would like to find/develop another guy between now and the 1st game.

Need A Davis and Neal to keep coming at DE. Would be great to have somebody formidable to play opposite Freedom.

Don't forget the caliber of recruit Newell was, he's finally physically maturing.

Newell's biggest problem coming in was the level of HS competition he faced was putrid (Nebraska C2 level), and he could basically do whatever he wanted on any play. I think that he just needed a couple years to adjust to going up against other big time athletes

Don't forget the caliber of recruit Newell was, he's finally physically maturing.

Newell's biggest problem coming in was the level of HS competition he faced was putrid (Nebraska C2 level), and he could basically do whatever he wanted on any play. I think that he just needed a couple years to adjust to going up against other big time athletes

Very very true. And people knew that then, we are just impatient (myself included).