American authoritarianism

The rise of American authoritarianism

I'm pretty sure I've posted (or meant to) the op-ed from a University of Massachusetts political science PhD candidate before, but this is a longer summary that cites both that author, and other researchers working along the same lines. It's a fascinating look at the (nonpartisan) driving forces behind the rise of candidates like Trump today and offers the not so fun idea that even if Trump loses the nomination or the presidency, strongman candidates such as him are not likely to be over. And the next one may not be as much of a clown (Putin's a good example).

When they face physical threats or threats to the status quo, authoritarians support policies that seem to offer protection against those fears. They favor forceful, decisive action against things they perceive as threats. And they flock to political leaders who they believe will bring this action.

Authoritarians generally and Trump voters specifically, we found, were highly likely to support five policies:

- Using military force over diplomacy against countries that threaten the United States

- Changing the Constitution to bar citizenship for children of illegal immigrants

- Imposing extra airport checks on passengers who appear to be of Middle Eastern descent in order to curb terrorism

- Requiring all citizens to carry a national ID card at all times to show to a police officer on request, to curb terrorism

- Allowing the federal government to scan all phone calls for calls to any number linked to terrorism

The good news is that strongly opposing forces are also nonpartisan, and arguably more prevalent overall in America today. Feels a little fragile, though, doesn't it?

• Fire 1

I in no way want any part of becoming Russia, and I'd think that most Americans would agree. It's a short walk from accepting "protection" from authoritarian candidates when they assume power to them becoming fiercely protective to the point of corruption to protect that position of power. The easiest example would be Putin executing media members who criticize him. Some people may laugh off Trump joking about the subject as just "Trump being Trump," but personally I find it detestable and a bit frightening. The attitudes he's advocating people adopting against the media are not really funny:

That's just ONE aspect in which his platform is potentially dangerous. I'd hope that people can connect the dots between electing authoritarian strongmen and winding up in a situation like Russia. Sadly, I don't think Trump's base has the intelligence or the foresight to do so.

The parallels between Trump and Putin are a bit eerie. They both love themselves so much that once they seize power, people dare not tell them they're wrong for fear of retaliation.

Basically, I don't know that people that support authoritarianism and such candidates have the foresight to understand the future ramifications of electing such a leader.

Wouldn't it be the pot calling the kettle black if the same people who lost their collective sh*t over the NSA phone tapping to combat terrorism would be just fine with it under the guise of President Trump?

Yeah, I don't know how any small government, civil liberties types could possibly support Trump. Not that there isn't considerable opening to criticize even the current administration on these counts.

To the second point, I think a lot of people are just fine with NSA phone tapping in the name of 'fighting terrorism'. In fairness, they're in make it up as you go territory on the technological edge. Laws haven't caught up, and we're in perpetual combat. I'm not sure, but it seems that support for more security access for states is pretty bipartisan and I guess I don't really see a way out of it. Unless the face of legislature transforms dramatically?

Hard to really suggest that Trump is more 'authoritarian' than the current President who issues 'executive orders' in lieu of attempting to enact legislation through the basic representative democratic process. Trump has not demonstrated he'd be any more or less authoritarian than any previous POTUS or other electeds.

Your suggested definition of 'authoritarian' in a political sense seems a little inacurate. I believe one would find a more correct one by reference to a dictionary or basic political science text book.

FDR and TR are the only Presidents in the last 100 years to be anywhere nearly as authoritarian as Obama. Even with the general support of Congress (notwithstanding the false allegations that the Republicans would not work with him when the Dems have been de facto in charge of Congress), Obama has failed to even submit legislative proposals for Congressional consideration for much of his Presidency, opting instead to issue fiats and directives and using his phone and pen as he likes to say. Not sure who he calls but he likes to sign orders much as a King or other monarch or authoritarian.

• Fire 1

Hard to really suggest that Trump is more 'authoritarian' than the current President who issues 'executive orders' in lieu of attempting to enact legislation through the basic representative democratic process. Trump has not demonstrated he'd be any more or less authoritarian than any previous POTUS or other electeds.

Your suggested definition of 'authoritarian' in a political sense seems a little inacurate. I believe one would find a more correct one by reference to a dictionary or basic political science text book.

FDR and TR are the only Presidents in the last 100 years to be anywhere nearly as authoritarian as Obama. Even with the general support of Congress (notwithstanding the false allegations that the Republicans would not work with him when the Dems have been de facto in charge of Congress), Obama has failed to even submit legislative proposals for Congressional consideration for much of his Presidency, opting instead to issue fiats and directives and using his phone and pen as he likes to say. Not sure who he calls but he likes to sign orders much as a King or other monarch or authoritarian.

Facts roll off you like water on a duck. It's already been pointed out to you that, comparably to other presidents, Obama hasn't made many executive orders.

• Fire 1

:wtf:confucius:dunno

• Fire 3

:wtf:confucius:dunno

At this point I'm pretty certain this is just trolling. Nobody can be that ill-informed.

• Fire 3

Last night in his interview after the Super Tuesday voting, Trump was asked how/if he could get along wt Speaker Paul Ryan who was critical him. Trump responded that he believe they could get along but if not, Ryan should be fearful.

This thread is interesting.

There are a lot of things I like about Trump. There are a lot of things that scare me about him as well.

Are any of the things you like about Trump related in any way, shape, or form to his political acumen?

Well yes. I'm also scared about his political stances as well. Mostly by his demeanor.

2nd Amendment

Israel Ally

Stopping Outsourcing

Supports Police

Disdain for Fed DOE and IRS

Dislike

Surveillance policy

Flexing Military Muscle (Only like if it's needed)

Bullheadedness/betrayal toward those who disagree with him.

----

My hatred for the surveillance such as Patriot Act stuff and all that just gives me the creeps. Especially with new tech around the corner and microchipping becoming a more and more believable thing among human beings with regard to ID, records, bank accounts, etc...

That alone makes me fear so much that I don't want him as president. But Hilary is gunna staunchly go after the 2nd amendment....so I'm not sure what's worse.

This thread is interesting.

There are a lot of things I like about Trump. There are a lot of things that scare me about him as well.

Are any of the things you like about Trump related in any way, shape, or form to his political acumen?

Well yes. I'm also scared about his political stances as well. Mostly by his demeanor.

2nd Amendment

Israel Ally

Stopping Outsourcing

Supports Police

Disdain for Fed DOE and IRS

Dislike

Surveillance policy

Flexing Military Muscle (Only like if it's needed)

Bullheadedness/betrayal toward those who disagree with him.

----

My hatred for the surveillance such as Patriot Act stuff and all that just gives me the creeps. Especially with new tech around the corner and microchipping becoming a more and more believable thing among human beings with regard to ID, records, bank accounts, etc...

That alone makes me fear so much that I don't want him as president. But Hilary is gonna staunchly go after the 2nd amendment....so I'm not sure what's worse.

Hillary is going to continue President Obama's 2nd amendment agenda which has been to strengthen the background check system and make more common sense gun laws to make sure that we keep the guns out of the hands of people who legitimately probably shouldn't have them, like the mentally unstable or violent offenders.

The assault weapons ban is probably a wedge issues for a lot of people. Personally, I've no need for assault weapons, so I really don't care too much about that. I could see how others would view it as infringing upon the 2nd amendment.

He stood on the stage the other night and said clearly he doesn't want to favor either Israel or Palestine to try to be a power broker in dealing with them. Then he said he was 100% pro-Israel.

So basically, he's once again trying to adopt all stances and none at all, at the same time.

The 2nd Amendment is not under any credible threat regardless of who becomes President, for at least decades.

What are under threat are diplomacy initiatives like the Iran deal, climate initiatives that will dictate the path forward from Paris, and access to care and insurance a la the Affordable Care Act, among other things. Unfortunately, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see surveillance being rolled back under any administration.

My biggest fear of a Trump administration,

The dude is so cocky he's going to set himself for an assassition attempt, if someone does succeed at this (and as much as I dislike him, I hope it doesn't happen) if the assassin is a minority we will have some scary race tentions.